Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand AlphaOBD is the goto app for 500e and I have an old Android phone that should run it.

Main question about adapters - I’ve seen folks suggest the $20 KONNWEI KW902 but I also see reference to OBDLink MX+ from AlphaOBD. Some member also mentioned $17 KONNWEI in orange color?

Other than saving some money what tangible benefit does the $90 MX+ provide over the KONNWEI?

I will probably buy $50 AlphaOBD app as well.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,959 Posts
I also have the Konnwei. About every 10th time I use it, the app won't connect, possibly due to me altering the boot-up sequence. It might even be just the app's fault!

I turn off the app & the Konnwei, turn them back on & it works fine. So I would only call the combination Konnwei/AlfaOBD "10% quirky".

·
Registered
176 Posts
I bought the PC version of AlfaOBD for $50. The PC version has a convenient Log directory and the logs for each Canbus module are saved in into its own text file.

The OBD2 adapter and cables I got off of eBay from a seller named "iDiagnostics". I bought the most expensive kit (50£) (about $65). The kit contains every type of cable imaginable to connect to FCA cars and others (I own two Jeeps). Fiat 500e owners need the OBD2 adapter and the "Yellow" cable.

With that said, AlfaOBD seems to work fine to read the various modules, read fault codes, and clear fault codes. Also works good to connect to the Body Control Module and activate almost every output in the car as well as reading inputs. However, be very careful making any configuration changes. I attempted to remove the chirp horn on keyless lock, attempted to do a proxi alignment, and created a problem (flashing odometer). I had to take the car to where I work (a community college) and have the automotive tech instructor use Chrysler wiTech software to straighten it all out again. So I learned my lesson, don't attempt to make configuration changes.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,959 Posts
I bought the PC version of AlfaOBD for $50...

However, be very careful making any configuration changes...
I believe there's a PC version of the free "demo" AlfaOBD app which many of us use on our phones. However it seems blocked from making configuration changes such as fixing the ubiquitous grabby brakes, which several forum members have reported reconfiguring with the paid app without any problems.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all.

Ordered black $20 KONNWEI KW902 Mini ELM327 Bluetooth Wireless OBD-II . Also downloaded Alpha Demo.

I’m not looking to change configurations and haven’t been bothered by car braking (chirp I can understand) mostly interested in battery pack info. Particularly cell voltages under various conditions.

Will follow up as steps unfold.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
KONNWEI KW902 Mini ELM327 Bluetooth arrived and connected to Android BT. Just beginning to crack surface with AlphaOBD DEMO and 2016 500e. Mission accomplished. Or is it?

Feeling braver I tried the KONNWEI KW902 on 2008 Ford Escape and attempted to connect via IOS app. No go. This Konnwei OBD adapter is BT 3 and some pop-up instruction mentions IOS requires BT 4.

So that brought up this potential Gem: Aermotor ELM327 Bluetooth 4.0 OBD2

Claims to work with IOS and if it also works with Android AlphaOBD should greatly simplify things.

Pardon the noob question but is AlphaOBD the only app which is useful to 500e? My pre-OBD experience barely dates 1989 so this has been uncharted territory in need of cram-learning. Thanks...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Other than saving some money what tangible benefit does the $90 MX+ provide over the KONNWEI?
I'd go with one of the OBDLink dongles. They cost a little more, but everything works correctly, which is particularly useful when you're programming something. If you're just trying to read stuff, you can go with a cheap dongle and it'll mostly work.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Both AlfaOBD and Multiecuscan on the PC work with the The OBD2 adapter and cables I got off of eBay from a seller named "iDiagnostics". The interface is USB. However sometimes if I exit the software and try to restart, I cannot connect. It is almost like the port is still in use. If I reboot the PC, everything is fine again. Not a big issue, just something that I am aware of.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Can AlphaOBD clear faults? I see the website lists it as a feature but the 500e is always a little different.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Free Android version clears faults. It doesn’t do a great job of telling you that it cleared them, but it does

It works for my 2013 500e with KONNWEI KW902 Mini ELM327 Bluetooth & AlfaOBD "demo" on my old LG Android (& also on my new Samsung)
You’re right. So I’m confused, my old WiFi obdii adapter is elm327 based, and it worked with most ice cars I ran into. It sure didn’t work on the fiat. However the kw902 is also elm327 based and it works in the fiat. So elm is maybe the protocol?
Is kw a superset of it? Or just a chip? I don’t know...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts