Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey long time lurker here but this one has me startled. Neither of my rear brakes work. I noticed this as my rear rotors have corrosion on them, and they don't scrub the rust off after a long drive or hard braking. They don't get hot either. Its a shame because I put on EBC rear rotors and pads just 10,000km ago. I have a 2012 Fiat 500 Sport N/A 1.4L

I tried bleeding the brakes (no fluid comes out, just dribbles of brake fluid), I've taken them off and also lubed the pins too without success. I've never seen this before on a car.

Brakes feel fine, but when I jack up the rear of the car and have someone brake on the pedal, I can spin both left and right rear wheels. Hand brake works though holding the vehicle, although when I yank it going 50km/h, I don't feel it stopping much. Hard to believe that both rear calipers have failed at the same time, but in all my years, I have only seen them stuck on and not engaged.

·
Registered
102 Posts
More likely, your "load distributor" has seized.
Sorry, but I don't knkow/remember the correct term for this gismo; the purpose is to regulate brake pressure to the rear brakes to avoid lock-up when car is lightly loaded by reducing brake fluid pressure - and then turn pressure up with increasing load in car.
Basically, it's a butterfly-type valve, often located at the car body aboe the rear axel. Connected by rod to the rear axel, thus the valve is regulated as rear suspension is compressed by load in car.
Generally a simple and reliable system - but often prone to seize due to corrosion.
Cleading, lube and massage often brings it back to life ;o)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm looking at the Fiat parts cataloge and there doesn't seem to be this part. Would buy a new one to replace but I don't see it. I know what part you're talking about but the Fiat 500 seems to only have lines going from master cylinder straight back to rear calipers.

·
Registered
102 Posts
OK...come to think of it - the european models have EBD, ECD and what not - it may be incorporated in the electronics now a days.
Which could mean that only a garage with suitable test gear can see what's gone wrong :eek:(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts