Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone considering adding this?

I figure you can buy the fog light switch and an EU rear defog switch from a UK dealer and swap them. then run the wiring back to the left reverse light for the rear fog light and swap it with a red bulb?

Need to see if the icon is on the US spec dash (i suspect it is) and see if there is any ECU trickery you need to make the icon light up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_lighting#Rear_fog_lamps

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Anyone considering adding this?

I figure you can buy the fog light switch and an EU rear defog switch from a UK dealer and swap them. then run the wiring back to the left reverse light for the rear fog light and swap it with a red bulb?

Need to see if the icon is on the US spec dash (i suspect it is) and see if there is any ECU trickery you need to make the icon light up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_lighting#Rear_fog_lamps
Do you get lots of FOG in your area? If not, why bother?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fog in the spring and autumn, heavy snow in winter and thunderstorms in summer.

It's a safety feature.

Not everywhere is the one and a half seasons of California.

·
Super Moderator
1,385 Posts
Fog in the spring and autumn, heavy snow in winter and thunderstorms in summer.

It's a safety feature.

Not everywhere is the one and a half seasons of California.
What's the half season? They get no salt, that's what makes me jealous! I could make a Yugo last twenty years under those conditions.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
they get rain in the winter time lol.

I've got emails out to some UK fiat dealer parts departments to get the switch pricing. If not I'm sure I can dig it up elsewhere

Then have a shop wire it up here.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Probably need different switch gear to be able to turn it on. I had one on my last VW as I imported LED OEM Euro spec tails, but required a euro light switch and some wiring to make it work properly.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I have a rear fog on my C70 and use it often in poor weather conditions. It's a nice, useful safety feature.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I had one on my Volvo 240 and also used it frequently, both in the UK and the US. Plus, it's a Eurocar, it needs one!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yeah, I'd be interested. I recall that my 03 mini came with the rear fogs, but since they weren't wired in, some of us added a jumper so that they came on with the brake lights.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Speaking of fog lights, I posted this before but got no answers. Since you guys seem to be fog light savvy, I'd like to replace my Pop front fog light blanks with fogs. Does anyone know if the Pop wiring harass is already set up with unused fog leads that are hanging in there somewhere and available for use? Of course, the switch leads would have to be locatable too. Dealer doesn't know and didn't seem to want to find out.

Also, I think the rear fog is a good thing. Had them on a few Euro cars over the years and always felt a kind of extra level of comfort knowing that there's a brighter than usual red light back there that will hopefully be spotted enough in advance under foggy conditions for some speeding idiot to hit the brakes before it's too late.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hey Guido! Did you end up finding out more info on retrofiting fog lights (from Lounge) to POP model instead of having those blank knobs? I have done some search but got nowhere so far. I would have thought it'd be easy....:rolleyes:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts