Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I just had my first problem with my 2 month old 595 Competizione, the rear hatch won't close in his locking postion. This was a serious problem for me since I was on a day trip with my dog, when I drove of this morning everything was fine. The hatch closed normal and I took of for a nice day, walking on the beach with the dog. So this evening when returning home the hatch opened normal I got the dog in the car and then it happend, the hatch won't lock anymore. After trying several times I finally removed the battery cables to reset the car ( I tought :) ) and in the meanwhile I was looking if there was a fuse blown and that was not the case and after about 30 minutes or so I reconnected the battery. Everything was the same, problem was still there, lucky for me I got a rope from some nice people. Now I could close the hatch with the rope because it was to risky with the dog in the car on the highway with a hatch that wasn't locked.

Anyone else had this problem before ? what was the solution or someone now what the problem could be ? if it could spare me a trip to dealer I would be glad to hear.

·
Registered
947 Posts
There have been many cases where faults develop in the loom to the taigate, where it passes between body and door, and bends repeatedly. I would first check there, and/or latch adjustmennt. Latch adjustment being off should be intermittent though, so my bet is on broken wiring strands and insulation in the loom at the tsilgat pass thru area. Pull the grommet and inspect the wiring.

.....as a preliminary check you can manipulate the loom bundle there and see if it changes the situation after some movement.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply and tips,

I googled the problem after my post yesterday and the only thing I came up with was about the wiring even with the pictures from the problem. But if this can happen after only 2 months and maybe after 20 times the hatch has opened en closed, then the wiring really has to be of very poor quality. But as you have suggested, I am going to check this first as soon the light comes on outside :).

The latch adjustment is not the problem since we tried yesterday with allen key that was so thick as the latch to see if the lock, locks and that was not the case. The lock is completely electronic and have 3 wires on, is there a way to test the lock for example with a external 12V power source after removing from the car, there are only 2x 10mm bolts that hold the lock in place so this removal is simple and little work.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Solved

Hi all,

I found the problem and want to share it if anyone else got this problem they know where to look at first :)

It was the plastic lid that you can use to manually open the lock, it was stuck in the opening position and I mean really stuck.
I had to use a bit of force with a flat screwdriver to unstuck that piece, after taking a closer look at it I found out that when
you close the hatch the plastic lid must move and it didn't. So after a search by the part number on the lock and compare with
the pictures that I found on the www I saw the problem.

lock.jpg

This is how it must look like when the lock is locked, mine was stuck to the metal body of the lock. I think that probably on
the inside of the lock it is a bit rough and therefore keeps fumbling.

But he I'm happy to found the problem and it saves me atrip to the dealer.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Is that the same tab, or partial component of same, that in other applications, can be used to render the medhanism inoperable from the inside? Child saftey latch?

my guess is yes, and it got tripped by hitting something during closure or during washing, and it doesnt have the complete linkage system applied to operate as a child safety latch, being no need for it as a hatch latch.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,

I just had my first problem with my 2 month old 595 Competizione, the rear hatch won't close in his locking postion. This was a serious problem for me since I was on a day trip with my dog, when I drove of this morning everything was fine. The hatch closed normal and I took of for a nice day, walking on the beach with the dog. So this evening when returning home the hatch opened normal I got the dog in the car and then it happend, the hatch won't lock anymore. After trying several times I finally removed the battery cables to reset the car ( I tought :) ) and in the meanwhile I was looking if there was a fuse blown and that was not the case and after about 30 minutes or so I reconnected the battery. Everything was the same, problem was still there, lucky for me I got a rope from some nice people. Now I could close the hatch with the rope because it was to risky with the dog in the car on the highway with a hatch that wasn't locked.

Anyone else had this problem before ? what was the solution or someone now what the problem could be ? if it could spare me a trip to dealer I would be glad to hear.
My 2018 Fiat 500L has had issues like this, won't latch, just kinda bounces on that bar. I've put wd40 on the door latch, that worked once. Mostly I just hit the button that unlatches it several times. Then it will latch but not all the way in that the back hatch warning light stays on and the lights in the trunk stay on. But it's latched. Then the camera won't work so I don't even open it anymore if I don't have to. Good luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts