Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I know the title sounds like I'm a moron, but here goes: just got the permanent tag for our new 500 Sport (Verde Olivo), and our NC issued plate will not bolt up to the mounting holes. Measured the plate, which is standard, and it's 177mm from hole center to hole center. The mounting holes on my 500? Well, they're spaced at 172mm!

Anyone had this kind of experience? Waiting to see what the dealer says, but man, that's some QC issue.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
Ok, I know the title sounds like I'm a moron, but here goes: just got the permanent tag for our new 500 Sport (Verde Olivo), and our NC issued plate will not bolt up to the mounting holes. Measured the plate, which is standard, and it's 177mm from hole center to hole center. The mounting holes on my 500? Well, they're spaced at 172mm! Anyone had this kind of experience? Waiting to see what the dealer says, but man, that's some QC issue.
I guess you went to Cary then for your 500, hope they did you better than they did me, what a headache of a dealer, sorry to say it but it is true. I obviously also have a NC plate and a 500 and mine is even mounted inside of a sealed Weathertech enclosure and I did not notice any problems, strange you have this issue, hope they resolve it soon! Maybe one day some of the few here in NC can meet up sometime, there is only like four others I know of in my area. :(

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
dude! Wobble bolts!

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
just kidding. They're dangerous.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'd try the plate on another car... it's possible that the plates holes were punched incorrectly.... or the mounting spots on the hatch were too...

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I'd try the plate on another car... it's possible that the plates holes were punched incorrectly.... or the mounting spots on the hatch were too...
I'd suspect the plate 1st. The Florida plates even have elongated holes to assist in lining up with the mounting holes on the vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
I'd suspect the plate 1st. The Florida plates even have elongated holes to assist in lining up with the mounting holes on the vehicle.
NC plates have long oval-like, maybe a bit more oblong than that really, I would certainly suspect the plate before the car, surely if it were the car we would have heard at least one mention before now or so I would think.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the responses, guys. Yep, purchased in Cary one week ago on Saturday, the 4th! So, we have a new baby in the family, and my wife is very proud indeed. I'm pretty tickled with it to. As for the plate, it matches up exactly with the one on our Honda Accord, and bolts up perfectly to that vehicle. I did notice that the salesman was having trouble getting the temp tag and dealer frame on, but he eventually got it bolted on with two diagonally placed bolts only. Paper and plastic bend and flex easier than the metal plate do, trust me. I only discovered this yesterday, as our plate came in the mail Saturday.

I certainly have no problem, ostensibly, with elongating the round holes in my issued plate, but that also negates the application of any nice/cool plate frame as well. The Studio has some rock chips on the hood and roof to fix (happened in a Studio transfer) this week, so, the 30 tag can stay on until THEY resolve it. I'll keep you all posted.

To be honest, the Studio was actually pleasant to deal with, guess they've straightened up a bit. We got extremely low financing, 100,000 mile warranty, and the clincher was they gave me private sale asking price for my not so great condition Ford F 250. To be honest, I've never bought a new car that DIDN'T have to make return trips to the dealer to fix minor things. This is a minor thing, but kinda of a kink, if you know what I mean.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
Service with Cary has been ok so far, nothing too great and only a tiny bit of bad, sales was alright although they didn't seem to know much, my issue is mainly someone doing the paperwork and someone I haven't met but spoke to many times via phone that I assume is higher up in the chain and not once has followed through with anything he has said, the paperwork I mentioned, total nightmare and it isn't 100% correct but it works as it is so I just move on. I will always warn people of potential problems they may have there though, hopefully they have matured enough most issues are now resolved and people are working more smoothly. Hope you get fixed quickly!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Dude, just drill out the license plate holes and be done with it. I had a motorcycle whose mounting bolts didn't line up with the plate's holes - they were at least 15mm off - so I just drilled out the plate. In seven years of riding it, it's never occurred to me to worry about it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
True dat, but this ain't a motorcycle, and it IS one week old. If the Studio says they have no fix, I won't throw a fit over it, I'll drill out the plate. On the other hand, if they have a QC issue, someone needs to know about it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I stumped the chumps. The Studio agreed that they had never seen that before. It was fixed on my drill press.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts