Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my 2012 500 Sport in for its first oil change yesterday. Service guy called me back to the work area to show me something. Car was up on the lift and he pointed out engine oil at the rear of the engine. Got a call this evening with the diagnosis---rear seal needs replacing. Car is 5 months old and has 6500 miles on it. Should be ready to go Monday or Tuesday. Hopefully this will be the only issue I have with this car. Its been running and driving perfectly so far. Really love it and plan on keeping it for many years.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Took my Pop in a few weeks ago for the first oil change. Same thing rear main seal was leaking. I am on a wait list now to hopefully get a loaner car for the repair before I bring it in, they told me they are seeing a lot coming back with the problem

·
Registered
962 Posts
That is a serious seal failure and a major pain to change out - very labor intensive. Keep an eye on it after they change it. I had the rear main seal on another car fail and they changed it out and that failed too...aaarrrgghhh

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
My rear main seal leaks. My car's might as well follow suit. (but it isn't leaking....touch wood)

·
Registered
765 Posts
My rear main seal leaks. My car's might as well follow suit. (but it isn't leaking....touch wood)
Just be careful with that, if it gets worse your universal joint can completely blow, and cause you to have an accident.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
That is a serious seal failure and a major pain to change out - very labor intensive. Keep an eye on it after they change it. I had the rear main seal on another car fail and they changed it out and that failed too...aaarrrgghhh

Anyone know if it's tied to a build date? I know that's tougher to call then some since who knows when those engines were built.. man, i'm not looking forward to a major issue like that (I consider stuff that requires removing the engine and/or tranny major and i'm guessing this is one of them :( )

·
Banned
5,539 Posts
I park on concrete and no leaks of any kind yet or would it leak enough to notice?

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I park on concrete and no leaks of any kind yet or would it leak enough to notice?
One of the purposes of the 'shield' that mounts under the engine is to keep things like this from ruining the garage floor. Unfortunately, it also conceals small problems until they turn into large ones.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Finally got the car back last Wednesday. Took two weeks for dealer service department to fix. They removed the entire front end ( bumper, head lights, maybe the hood too ) in order to remove the engine and transmission for the $4 seal replacement. All fluids including AC refrigerant had to be replaced. They ran into a couple of bolts that were seized and had to be drilled out. Apparently these were special bolts that had to be ordered from Fiat and this delayed the process about three additional days. I drove through the dealership about midway through the process and spotted my little buddy in one of the service bays with its front end removed. Kind of like seeing a sick family member lying in a hospital bed. I cringed thinking my car would never be the same or they would scratch or ding it up during the process. Hurried over when they finally called and I was delighted to see my car put back to showroom condition just like I left it with them. Service guy said it was a huge job replacing the seal (obviously). He did mention how surprised he was at how well the car was put together and he's now thinking about buying one himself. As for the seal, they said it was most likely an assembly line "fluke" occurence. The seal had a small tear like someone snagged it as they were putting it onto the engine. Oh, BTW, the dealership is Crown Fiat of Chattanooga. Car sounds, feels, runs good as new. I think the AC does a little better job cooling now. Maybe the refrigerant level was low when I bought it or they replaced it with a different brand? Anyway, happy ending to a nerve racking experience.

Cheers

·
Registered
794 Posts
mgirod,

Thanks for this follow-up post. It always helps us all to get the post-op info. Nice also that you had some direct contact with the mechanic. Thinking back on various repairs over the years, I think that this contact is one of the nice things about smaller, independent repair shops. Not that all bigger shops can't do this as well, but my impression is that big dealers have the 'service techs' in the back, and the 'service representative' at the front desk. Note, my local studio is quite small, and I have been able to speak directly to the mechanic, so some Fiat shops may be very 'direct to the customer' as well.

So, when the mechanic says he is impressed with the car, I take that opinion to heart. Good also that his opinion is that this issue was likely a manufacturing chance occurrence.

Your description of seeing your car disassembled as similar to a sick family member made sense to me. The interior guts of cars and humans are usually best kept wrapped up in bodywork.

Good also that you complimented the dealer.

·
Registered
6,827 Posts
I stopped by my LS yesterday. I told them I want the fogs installed this coming week. I'll be bringing this and the boots tear issue to their attention. I want them on record, so there is no temptation to give me the runaround later. They've given me no reason to question their integrity, but getting this stuff recorded is always a good thing.

·
Registered
567 Posts
One of the purposes of the 'shield' that mounts under the engine is to keep things like this from ruining the garage floor. Unfortunately, it also conceals small problems until they turn into large ones.
Checking your oil level every few weeks is a must - an abnormal oil level drop is an indication of an "issue" that requires a visit to your Studio ASAP

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
On a new car, I check the oil every time I fill the car. Until I get a handle on the oil use. Then I check it monthly.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts