Fiat 500 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Uggh...I think my 500c manual is now running into this problem. Mine was built March of 2012 as well. It's lost almost a quart of oil in 5000 miles and I occassionally get a burning oil smell coming into the interior...I don't see any oil dripping anywhere but I haven't taken the bottom tray off either.
Take it to the dealer.

Mine is still there, or I should say it's there again. I'm at about 35 days in the shop for this oil leak right now.

·
Registered
962 Posts
↑ check by the oil filter - sometimes the rubber seal is not mating properly. [If you can't see it, maybe you can bring it to a quickie lube joint to look at it for you [if the dealer is far away]..

You might be getting that burning smell because it is leaking past the oil filter and onto a hot part of the car. I had the same problem. It is an easy quick fix, put a new oil filter on with a good new rubber seal.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
How can I find out when mine was built? Want to make sure it is not March 2012
Look on the back of the driver's side door...there is a sticker with the month and year of manufacture.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I'm at about 35 days in the shop for this oil leak right now.
This falls under the AZ Lemon Law - I don't know if you've looked into that?

Arizona Lemon Law 44-1264 Reasonable number of attempts.
The motor vehicle is out of service by reason of repair for a cumulative total of thirty or more calendar days during the shorter of the express warranty term or the two year period or twenty-four thousand miles, whichever is earlier.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Ours was built in May 2012. Manual transmission. During a regular oil check, I noted that the car was missing about 3/4 of a quart. I topped it off as soon as I got home. The next day I lifted it on my ramps and checked underneath. I found a dirt and oil coating between the transmission and the engine but no actual dripping.

Has anyone experienced this?

·
Registered
1 Posts
happy owner

same thing here with Albuquerque ; my 2012 Fiat 500 with 6,800 miles ; rear main seal is starting to leak; was told under warranty

·
Registered
746 Posts
We had that happen to our Gucci edition with about 9500 miles. Took about 4 days to fix. We had the burning smell too. Also fixed with an oil change. Sucks but it also puts some experience under some of the Fiat techs on taking apart our cars (dropping the transmission, etc). Good for later issues that may occur down the road.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Add my 2012 (manufactured dec. 2011) to the rear main seal leak. Service Manager says it will take a day to fix - we'll see! I have no loaner offered but they will take me home and pick me up when it's done. Wondering if any other members with this repair ran into additional problems or was it fixed? Thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'd like to add one of my Fiats to the list. This first post will be somewhat rambling...

2012 Sport, manual.
Built sometime in the middle of the year (I don't recall the exact date, as I traded it in recently for an Abarth)

The technician notified me during a routine service visit (oil change and a badge replacement).
I didn't notice any smells or odd behavior. Although I do recall adding half a quart (I check my oil every other fill-up or so) a few weeks before my service visit.

Fix: They took the whole friggin front half apart and installed a new seal.

Second fix: One of the techs forgot to tighten my radiator/coolant hoses during re-assembly, and my Fiat dumped most of its coolant while pulling through the base gate commuting to work...

The MP yells "Fix it Again, Tony!"
One of the only times that statement made my day.

No damage done, I plugged everything back in, topped off with distilled, and drove to the dealer for tightening and a flush...

Too bad my new Abarth won't shift into 1st... just never ends...

·
Registered
859 Posts
Good to hear they fixed everything!
I'd like to add one of my Fiats to the list. This first post will be somewhat rambling...

2012 Sport, manual.
Built sometime in the middle of the year (I don't recall the exact date, as I traded it in recently for an Abarth)

The technician notified me during a routine service visit (oil change and a badge replacement).
I didn't notice any smells or odd behavior. Although I do recall adding half a quart (I check my oil every other fill-up or so) a few weeks before my service visit.

Fix: They took the whole friggin front half apart and installed a new seal.

Second fix: One of the techs forgot to tighten my radiator/coolant hoses during re-assembly, and my Fiat dumped most of its coolant while pulling through the base gate commuting to work...

The MP yells "Fix it Again, Tony!"
One of the only times that statement made my day.

No damage done, I plugged everything back in, topped off with distilled, and drove to the dealer for tightening and a flush...

Too bad my new Abarth won't shift into 1st... just never ends...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just had our second oil change at 6000 miles…rear main seal leaks…dealer needs 4 days to remove engine and transmission to replace. Apparently this is becoming a real problem for Fiat 500 c owners. I am worried that this may be a recurring problem based on all the reports coming in….

·
Premium Member
22,120 Posts
Just had our second oil change at 6000 miles…rear main seal leaks…dealer needs 4 days to remove engine and transmission to replace. Apparently this is becoming a real problem for Fiat 500 c owners. I am worried that this may be a recurring problem based on all the reports coming in….

Welcome to the forum.

My Abarth is in the shop right now for some cosmetic work, routine maintenance and an oil leak as well. Been at the dealer (left the car at the body shop first) on the 13th of this month...no contact so no clue how long or what point I am at right now. I haven't called because I wonder how long they'll wait before they contact me on the status. They gave me a rental 500 so not that big a deal to me and I expected possibly a month wait so when the 13th rolls around again if it isn't done then I'll worry.

Hope they get you squared away quickly!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Wow! I haven't been on the forum in a while. My car was manufactured in 2/2012, and has 27000 miles on it. I just got my car back from a routine oil change, and was informed that it had a rear main seal leaking. The service writer said they had been seeing a few of these and he cheerfully told me that it would be fixed at no cost to me. He said that I had to schedule a repair date so they could have it for A DAY AND A HALF! Given the amount of work this requires I think that sounds laughable. But I guess we'll see. My big worry is, will this really cure the problem? I mean was this just a defective part or what? Will it happen again right after the warranty expires?

·
Premium Member
22,120 Posts
Wow! I haven't been on the forum in a while. My car was manufactured in 2/2012, and has 27000 miles on it. I just got my car back from a routine oil change, and was informed that it had a rear main seal leaking. The service writer said they had been seeing a few of these and he cheerfully told me that it would be fixed at no cost to me. He said that I had to schedule a repair date so they could have it for A DAY AND A HALF! Given the amount of work this requires I think that sounds laughable. But I guess we'll see. My big worry is, will this really cure the problem? I mean was this just a defective part or what? Will it happen again right after the warranty expires?
Copy/paste from other thread about the same leak.

2013 Abarth here and I had this same leak, took a couple weeks and no issues since but it has only been a few months. I inquired about there being some revision or not and was told no revision so I am hopeful it is just a sloppy installation from the factory. Good luck...hope it gets fixed quickly and you have no more issues with it going forward.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I dunno, I say it depends on the dealer. There seems to be an issue with getting parts into the U.S. My dealer is also down to a single tech who is having to do all the work, so any fairly labor intensive type work is taking longer than it normally would.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Took my car in for alignment check. Tech said alignment is fine but the rear main seal has a leak. Tech writer quoted me $1300 to fix, almost all of the cost is labor. Due to the number of failures, and the first qtr of 2012 being the source for many (my car was built in March, 2012), I spoke to a lawyer friend of mine. He said this has the sound of a strong class action suit. I am checking to see what my options are.

·
Premium Member
22,120 Posts
Took my car in for alignment check. Tech said alignment is fine but the rear main seal has a leak. Tech writer quoted me $1300 to fix, almost all of the cost is labor. Due to the number of failures, and the first qtr of 2012 being the source for many (my car was built in March, 2012), I spoke to a lawyer friend of mine. He said this has the sound of a strong class action suit. I am checking to see what my options are.
So you are past the 4yr/50K mile warranty? I had my RMS leak repaired under warranty last year on my 2013.

41 - 60 of 84 Posts