Fiat 500 Forum banner
61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Does anyone has the part number for the seal which has to be replaced? mine leaks since day one, I didnt bother with the warranty (not in the US), as I knew it will be a loooong and suffered way to have it done. I'll do it eventually (it's not THAT bad, just check the level every now and then), so if I know the part number I can source it and have it handy if/when it becomes urgent to get it replaced.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I sent an email to Chrysler Customer Care Center, I explained that in lieu of all of the failed seals affecting cars built in the 1st quarter of 2012, they should offer some assistance in helping with the cost of the repair. The next day I received a call from Melanie (I never got any last names), from Chrysler Customer Care Center, who indicated that Chrysler was going to try and help me with my repair costs. After the the car was completed, the service writer and the Chrysler rep had a discussion, he then spoke with the service manager. The service manager offered me a “Senior” 10% discount on the cost of the repair. This amounted to approximately $117. Total cost to me, $1130. Needless to say, I am very disappointed with the way Chrysler handled my problem. At this time it is very doubtful that I will ever purchase another Fiat.

·
Premium Member
22,120 Posts
I sent an email to Chrysler Customer Care Center, I explained that in lieu of all of the failed seals affecting cars built in the 1st quarter of 2012, they should offer some assistance in helping with the cost of the repair. The next day I received a call from Melanie (I never got any last names), from Chrysler Customer Care Center, who indicated that Chrysler was going to try and help me with my repair costs. After the the car was completed, the service writer and the Chrysler rep had a discussion, he then spoke with the service manager. The service manager offered me a “Senior” 10% discount on the cost of the repair. This amounted to approximately $117. Total cost to me, $1130. Needless to say, I am very disappointed with the way Chrysler handled my problem. At this time it is very doubtful that I will ever purchase another Fiat.
As I was reading this I was thinking they were going to really help out then I saw the amount discounted...granted they didn't have to do anything but they should have considering this issue continues to occur with the 2013 models as well. I am one that had this repair. Good luck with things going forward and thanks for sharing your experience, wish it would have been a better one.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Wrote additional emails, one to Chrysler Customer Care Center, the other a corporate vice-president, again conveying my disappointment with the way my repair was "handled." Receive follow-up call from Chrysler Customer Care saying they were sending me a check for half of the labor charge. I figured this was fair. Following day while removing a bike rack from my car I noticed dark wet spots on the gravel (my driveway). I checked the oil level, it was down a 1/2 qt. I added some oil and took it in to the studio. After a thorough diagnostic the technician said the engine has to come out again. taking it in this week for a second round of repair work. They gave me a loaner the first timed I hope they do again.

·
Premium Member
22,120 Posts
Wrote additional emails, one to Chrysler Customer Care Center, the other a corporate vice-president, again conveying my disappointment with the way my repair was "handled." Receive follow-up call from Chrysler Customer Care saying they were sending me a check for half of the labor charge. I figured this was fair. Following day while removing a bike rack from my car I noticed dark wet spots on the gravel (my driveway). I checked the oil level, it was down a 1/2 qt. I added some oil and took it in to the studio. After a thorough diagnostic the technician said the engine has to come out again. taking it in this week for a second round of repair work. They gave me a loaner the first timed I hope they do again.
Half is nice but being done right so it doesn't happen would be better. :( Good luck once again, hope it lasts this go round.

·
Registered
2 Posts
All,
I just created an account to help keep this thread alive. I bought my Fiat 500 Sport in the fall of 2012. This past week, I had the same issues with oil leaking. I took it to the dealer yesterday. They said they couldn't find the leak and figured it was this issue, they would need to take the front end apart and get back to me. They just called me. I now need a whole new engine. Apparently he said they have done a few of these.

Thank goodness I am only at 48,600 miles so it is all covered under warranty. If this happened a month later, I would have been screwed. They also gave me a loaner, but they told me the new engine is on back order, b/c apparently this is happening a lot. The service manager said they will have my car for probably 2 - 3 weeks.

I feel bad for anyone that is having this issue and is out of warranty as it seems like this is a problem that will happen at some point with the early 2012 fiats.

·
Registered
306 Posts
A new engine just because of a leaky seal!? unless it was leaking a LOT and you ran the engine dry... dont see how!
Did they gave you any details?

·
Banned
4,741 Posts
A new engine just because of a leaky seal!? unless it was leaking a LOT and you ran the engine dry... dont see how!
Did they gave you any details?
Agreed, this seems strange. And how can they not find a leak? Do they not have a UV lamp and UV reflective oil additive?

Something is not right here.

Tedolph

·
Premium Member
22,120 Posts
All,
I just created an account to help keep this thread alive. I bought my Fiat 500 Sport in the fall of 2012. This past week, I had the same issues with oil leaking. I took it to the dealer yesterday. They said they couldn't find the leak and figured it was this issue, they would need to take the front end apart and get back to me. They just called me. I now need a whole new engine. Apparently he said they have done a few of these.

Thank goodness I am only at 48,600 miles so it is all covered under warranty. If this happened a month later, I would have been screwed. They also gave me a loaner, but they told me the new engine is on back order, b/c apparently this is happening a lot. The service manager said they will have my car for probably 2 - 3 weeks.

I feel bad for anyone that is having this issue and is out of warranty as it seems like this is a problem that will happen at some point with the early 2012 fiats.
Welcome to the forum.

As others have stated this sounds like an extreme solution to what seems a rather simple problem. Please explain why they are taking such a drastic measure.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Reasons for engine replacement could include poor ring seal such as from excessively worn or improperly installed rings (I recall mention of the latter somewhere), among other mechanical issues which contributed to any cylinders being down on compression and/or the bypassing of fuel into the crankcase. With that or with a bad fuel injector or pump could come fuel dilution of the oil, and with that the symptom of oil leaks as well as bearing damage.

http://www.amsoil.com//techservicesbulletin/MotorOil/TSB MO-2004-04-03 Oil Consumption.pdf

·
Registered
2 Posts
All,
Sorry for the delay in the response.

There was an issue with the rear seal causing oil to leak and create low oil pressure. The first day the car was in the shop, they couldn't directly tell where the oil leak was coming from. So the next day they took the engine out and found the leak. The rear seal was bad, and that section of the engine was bad/damaged. They technically didn't need to replace the whole engine, the main part of the block they needed to replace was on back order. And according to them, was so far on back order, the factory didn't think they would be making any more this year. So the quicker option, was to order a new engine. They also just happened to be on back order.

The new engine came in early last week. The dealer actually just called me today to say it is ready for pickup.

·
Premium Member
22,120 Posts
All,
Sorry for the delay in the response.

There was an issue with the rear seal causing oil to leak and create low oil pressure. The first day the car was in the shop, they couldn't directly tell where the oil leak was coming from. So the next day they took the engine out and found the leak. The rear seal was bad, and that section of the engine was bad/damaged. They technically didn't need to replace the whole engine, the main part of the block they needed to replace was on back order. And according to them, was so far on back order, the factory didn't think they would be making any more this year. So the quicker option, was to order a new engine. They also just happened to be on back order.

The new engine came in early last week. The dealer actually just called me today to say it is ready for pickup.
I see you are in Raleigh. I assume then you are dealing with Hendrick in Cary. They are sort of pretty good...they have missed simple screws during repairs and when returned for replacement of damaged items due to missed screws they missed the same screws a second time. :( I also found after a rear main seal repair some connections were not solidly connected. Hopefully they improved and you'll have no issues but I thought you should pay close attention to the car once returned. I visit Raleigh usually once per month, maybe we can catch up sometime. I hit Cars and Coffee the third Sat of the month then have lunch.

I'm about 60 miles out from Cary, feel free to drop a PM sometime if you like.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all. New to the Forum. I have been following this thread because my 2012 500 Sport with appox. 53000 KM developed an oil leak a few weeks back. I have been checking the oil level and adding oil if required. Then I received a Low Oil Pressure warning over this past weekend. I brought it in to the Fiat Studio yesterday and have yet to hear back on the diagnosis. Interesting though, the Service Manager mentioned to have all my files ready in case the engine needs to be replaced. Sounds like they have some experience with this issue.

·
Registered
306 Posts
My 500 smelled of burned oil since day one (only when I really stepped on it), it also had oil leak marks between the engine and transmission, so I always thought I had a failed rear seal, but saw no point in removing the transmission just to check this, especially as the leak was very minor.
As my clutch failed and the transmission had to be removed, I told my friend (and mechanic!) to check the seal. To my surprise he told me the seal was just fine, the leak source was elsewhere.
He showed me that the oil was coming through one of the bolts holding the flywheel to the crankshaft! It seems this crankshaft is not closed at the end and the bolts holding the flywheel close the oil circuit. In my car it seems one was not sealed correctly (or at all) and leaked.
This made me think, probably just nonsense; maybe some of the motors with failed crankshaft middle bearing have to do with this, losing oil pressure and not with electricity going through it because of a bad earth connection? Does it make any sense?

·
Registered
44 Posts
To my surprise he told me the seal was just fine, the leak source was elsewhere.
He showed me that the oil was coming through one of the bolts holding the flywheel to the crankshaft! It seems this crankshaft is not closed at the end and the bolts holding the flywheel close the oil circuit.
That is a surprise! I've never in my life seen bolt holes on a crankshaft go all the way through.

So, I got the clutch off of a 2012 500 today and took the flywheel bolts off. I had to check because after reading this I thought nobody could just make up a story like that? Could they? Oil leaking through bolt threads in the crankshaft? Hah! Where would the pressure come from?

Anyway, yeah, the bolts do not go all the way through.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Add me to the list of owners with a leaking rear main seal.
2013 Abarth, with less than 50K KM.
I was shocked to hear the service advisor tell me the news.
I have replaced rear main seals on 2 vehicles I have owned, both had over 300K KM on the clock.
I am not looking forward to owning this car out of warranty.

·
Registered
405 Posts
My 500C had a couple of leaks all have been fixed by the dealers service department under warranty. The drive end crankshaft seal was bad on my car. Quite a job to replace they said. The car makes my wife happy, everything that went wrong with it got fixed under warranty what is not to like. I love the little car.

61 - 80 of 84 Posts