Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that after only 3 months the vinyl(?) covering on the back of one of my rear seat headrests is cracking. A little thumb pressure makes it pretty obvious that this problem will probably get worse over time. Of course, sun exposure is maximum on the rear surfaces of the back headrests, but this is not an excuse for inferior material quality especially since I live in PA not FL, etc. Maybe after 10 years of sun scorching one might expect material failure. Fiat needs get with its headrest supplier/manufacturer and fix this now -- unless it's done so already.

I'm sure this will be covered by warranty, but anyone else experience this?

Hopefully, Fiat monitors our posts and uses our input to improve product quality and performance. If you're not out there Fiat, you should be.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I noticed that after only 3 months the vinyl(?) covering on the back of one of my rear seat headrests is cracking. A little thumb pressure makes it pretty obvious that this problem will probably get worse over time. Of course, sun exposure is maximum on the rear surfaces of the back headrests, but this is not an excuse for inferior material quality especially since I live in PA not FL, etc. Maybe after 10 years of sun scorching one might expect material failure. Fiat needs get with its headrest supplier/manufacturer and fix this now -- unless it's done so already.

I'm sure this will be covered by warranty, but anyone else experience this?

Hopefully, Fiat monitors our posts and uses our input to improve product quality and performance. If you're not out there Fiat, you should be.
I removed mine as soon as I had the car home. Better visibility and the seats lie right down. No one is going to be back there ever. They will be fresh as daisies when I ever sell the car.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
I removed mine as soon as I had the car home. Better visibility and the seats lie right down.
me too......if I need to put the seats down for cargo, having to take time to remove the headrests FIRST is a PITA. so I decided to just leave them off. they lay on the floor, behind the drivers seat.

works for me.....and apparently 'Giallo' too! :)

·
Registered
343 Posts
I took them out, too. But maybe it'd be a good idea to use some 3M vinyl treatment. I forget the name, but supposedly it protects all vinyl surfaces from UV rays.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Are your windows tinted? I am hoping that will prevent issues with mine.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, my windows aren't tinted, but I suppose that would help some or at least lengthen the time before cracking occurs. It seems to me that the bonded vinyl coating over the foam is simply not thick enough. It's not faded in color or brittle -- just slightly spider cracked now.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That could also happen to the fronts, right? :|
I don't know. Mine are fine right now. But, the front headrests are reactive head restraints (whiplash protection) and may be constructed with a different vinyl covering.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts