Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Land vehicle Vehicle Car City car Alloy wheel
Made some adjustments to the rear springs and now my car sits level.

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Auto part Synthetic rubber
Rear tire to body gap.

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Automotive wheel system Finger
Front tire body gap (stock front springs)

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Land vehicle Vehicle City car Car Fiat 500

A better pic to show off it's new stance

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
adjustments = cutting a half coil?

·
Registered
289 Posts
If you cut your springs could you say how much you cut off. I was thinking about this too. I know its not the "right" way of doing it but you cant argue with the price or the results.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Cutting springs? Please don't do that. It's not an early 90s Honda. The price? Crappy unpredictable suspension geometry.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
especially with linear springs. Progressive...ok, a dead coil here or there not as big of a deal. Linear springs, you change everything.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
The youth of today are out of control.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
If you cut your springs could you say how much you cut off. I was thinking about this too. I know its not the "right" way of doing it but you cant argue with the price or the results.
Save up $189 and save yourself some trauma. It's a new car for f sakes.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Cutting springs is so not to rite path to follow, the cost of a spring kit these days is pennies... stop being cheap and ghetto...

Even coil overs for the car are inexpensive. I just don't understand people these days.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Take it easy folks. If all you want to do is get the back end down an inch or so cutting the springs ain't a bad idea as long as you realize you won't get any performance benifit. The real cost of a spring set is more like $500 when you factor in shipping, duty, tax, alingment etc, and thats if you do the install yourself. Lowering the rear for free seems like a good deal if your just after the look.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Take it easy folks. If all you want to do is get the back end down an inch or so cutting the springs ain't a bad idea as long as you realize you won't get any performance benifit. The real cost of a spring set is more like $500 when you factor in shipping, duty, tax, alingment etc, and thats if you do the install yourself. Lowering the rear for free seems like a good deal if your just after the look.
$500 AND do it yourself? No way. I paid about $230 shipped to my door from the U.S.(TireRack) including tax and shipping. No duty. I did not need an alignment after it was done, just a small camber adjustment. It's your money and your safety.

·
Registered
289 Posts
$500 AND do it yourself? No way. I paid about $230 shipped to my door from the U.S.(TireRack) including tax and shipping. No duty. I did not need an alignment after it was done, just a small camber adjustment. It's your money and your safety.
If you needed a camber adjustment then you needed an alingment. If you did it yourself that is fine but it's unlikey that you got it to the perfect specs. Cutting half a coil from a spring is not unsafe. Just like having a fat guy in the back is not unsafe. The car rides lower in the rear but there is no adjustment to the rear suspension to screw up, your just changing the height of the ride.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
If you needed a camber adjustment then you needed an alingment. If you did it yourself that is fine but it's unlikey that you got it to the perfect specs. Cutting half a coil from a spring is not unsafe. Just like having a fat guy in the back is not unsafe. The car rides lower in the rear but there is no adjustment to the rear suspension to screw up, your just changing the height of the ride.
Cutting a spring that is not progressive is safe? Ok sure, not going to argue with you.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Except you'll be changing your struts or shocks a lot quicker from the higher spring rate.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Funny no mention of wear on the strut or how the spring rate changes. Just"firmness".

1 - 20 of 37 Posts