Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings.
I'm pretty sure my Abarth is in need of a set of rear wheel bearing replacements. Getting a click-click-click, before that there was a noticeable ~hum~ droning from the rear.
What are the recommended replacements? I've heard that the OEM are pretty much crap, but are there a better than OEM choice?
Also, who's done this work themselves, and would you do it again?
The car has just under 60K on the odometer (seems early for bearings, no?).
All help appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to ask...are the parts the same # for the Abarth and the standard lineup of 500s?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And I just checked out what Rock Auto has to offer. Any ideas on the better choice here?

Screen Shot 2020-07-27 at 12.18.31 PM.png

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Don't bother with OEM, no need, and the quality seems to be patchy. I've replaced 3 sets, one for me, one for my friends. Mine I think was AM, other two were Quality-Build and Moog. All looked and felt exactly the same, no premature failure since replacement. It's a really simple job, so easy it's kind of fun. You need to remove the rear caliper and the bracket off, and when you do that, you should replace the bracket holding bolts, too. They tend to corrode badly, and if you strip the bolt head, because of the clearance there, you'd have a **** of a time getting it out, so it's cheap insurance, might as well. You'll need a breaker bar, and big torque wrench that can do 207lbs.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
These look like the bolts, correct? And I'll need 4 total?

Many thanks for the response.

·
Registered
682 Posts
And make sure your wheel alignment is correct; especially the rears which require one or even two shim kits.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
These look like the bolts, correct? And I'll need 4 total?

Many thanks for the response.

View attachment 108870
4, yes, if you are doing both sides. Make sure that the bearing is properly grease packed. It's not a sealed design, so you can pack it if you need to. I think it was Moog one, that I thought wasn't properly packed.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, Beck-Arnley hub assemblies are on the way, the fact they come with a new spindle nut sold me. Bolts are coming it seems from 2 separate depots, varying arrivals. Looks like a week away for all, I chose the cheap shipping.

While I was looking for a 32mm socket at the hardware store another customer overheard my query. He pulled me aside, saying he bought one 25 years ago to replace some wheel components on a Volkswagen. Offered it to me, along with a couple of others, for free. Life is good, and there are good people out there. We've communicated since, we should be meeting up tomorrow.

RE the wheel bearings needing greasing (ie not being greased as they should from the manufacturer), what is the proper way to get the grease embedded in the bearing that is already pressed into the hub assembly? Many many years ago when I was in foolish English car owning experiences (good times, good times...) I was adept at "hand pressing" bearings with grease. How to do that while the bearing is in the hub?

And shim kits? Seriously, will I need these for a hub assembly replacement? The bearing face will be aligning with the original, is there a possibility of the alignment going askew? Tire wear has been even, no issues that I can see. And I'm not tracking this car. That said, It's been 7 years, an alignment might be in order just as a maintenance task. But I'm certainly not the one that will attempt it. Leave that to the professionals.

And once again, thanks for the replies, and expertise.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Forget the shim kit, unless you are having rear alignment issue.

The bearing, probably surprising to hear, but it's not sealed completely. The back side is sealed. The front, you can actually see the bearing balls in there. If the amount is insufficient, you can just pack it with high quality grease. How do you determine if it has enough? Well, that's kind of tough, but generally pack it till it oozes out, and the wipe the excess, but because you are not pressing the grease out, you just kind of have to decide when to stop...

That's great that you inherited the tools from the kind stranger.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, all the parts are in the house, from Rock Auto, a few days early. Excellent service.
I ordered the mounting bolts, 4 total. Little did I know they shipped in pairs. I've cornered the market.
Ordered the Beck Arnley hubs/bearing assemblies, and they do look a bit skimpy on grease. I'll be picking up a tube tonight.
Most likely do the repair first thing in the morning tomorrow. Wish me luck. I'll try to do pics, but I'm old, and can't remember to do sh*t.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
****, I knew someone would ask.
Got the car up on jack stands Saturday night, got all the tools laid out, everything I'd need.
Popped the center cap off the passenger side rear, pulled the wheel off.
Popped the center cap off the drivers side, a lug bolt falls out.

Turns out the click-click-click I was hearing was the lug playing tumble-tots in the cavity.

I had recently replaced that tire, maybe 2 moths ago or so. Look like the shop didn't get that lug seated.

The lug itself looks a bit thread damaged from the action, I'll be getting replacements on order. I'm still going to be replacing the hub assemblies, but have decided as long as I'm doing that I'll get rotors and pads and get the whole shebang done at the same time.

Rock Auto was great in the shipping of the parts. 3 separate packages, 3 different shipping depots. 4 days early from their original estimates.

I should have gotten the wheels up off the ground and diagnosed the issue before ordering what i thought was needed, but reading through the forums over the past 6 years I thought I was lucky to have gone 60K on the original set of bearings.

Thanks for asking.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts