Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just want to start off with saying I'm still fairly new to the 500's in general and very new to this forum so let me know if this isn't the right place for this kind of question.
Got a 2012 500 Sport automatic with 130k miles a few months ago with a real bad misfire in cylinder 1. Got the car for only 1500 and thought it would be a fun project car after getting tired of just JDM project cars. Found the problem to be no compression in cylinder 1 so I disassembled the engine, found the bottom end to be in decent shape (no excessive play) but the exhaust valve in cylinder 1 to be burnt up. About 1/4 of it was gone but the cylinder walls were still in great shape, looked like all the other walls. Piston was also fine. I decided to rebuild the head as even the valve seat with the burnt valve was still fine. Ended up replacing all 8 exhaust valves, lapped them with grinding paste. Got the head put back together and the valves sealed great, no leaks. Cleaned everything up and put new gaskets throughout. Had to buy the special timing tool to get the belt on but it all seemed pretty straightforward when following the fiat dealer repair manual. Got the engine back in the car, all hooked up but it's not starting. I tried cranking for a while now to build oil pressure for the multiair brick, but it really seems like it should be good by now. It has spark and fuel, no codes from the ecu, and I just don't know what else I am missing? I've cranked the car while having the multiair bleeder pressed down, poured a little oil at the sime time and still nothing. I keep getting the weird "no compression" problem this car tend to have from sitting. I did a compression test on cylinder 1 and 2 to see if I was getting some kind on reading and it does but only for the very first resolution of staring (120psi cylinder 1, 119 psi cylinder 2), then it goes back to no compression. The only thing I have not tried is filing the car with coolant. I've seen 1 youtube video (
) where the car wouldn't start until he put coolant in it... I've only worked on 80's-90's Toyotas so this doesn't make any sense to me... I want to get an opinion from everyone to see if there is something else I'm missing. Does it really need to have coolant to just start? Do I need a special scan tool for the ecu to start it? Would the ecu send a code if I forgot to plug something else in? I really appreciate any help!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Does it crank and sound like no compression? If so, you might have to bleed the air from the multiair brick. There is a youtube on how to do it. While someone cranks the starter, someone else puts a long pointed tool down the oil filler tube. In the bottom is the bleed release valve. Once oil pressure builds, the intakes valves should work.
If there is already compression, then my next guess may be to check the timing.

After rereading your post, I see you DID bleed the air out, but then it seems to disappear. How did the multiair mesh filter look? If the car was run on regular, Not synthetic oil, the screen builds up gunk on it and you either clean or replace, It's on the head, top part on the timing belt side. There are pictures and youetube on checking and replacing it. Just another thought since you initially have compression, then it goes away.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does it crank and sound like no compression? If so, you might have to bleed the air from the multiair brick. There is a youtube on how to do it. While someone cranks the starter, someone else puts a long pointed tool down the oil filler tube. In the bottom is the bleed release valve. Once oil pressure builds, the intakes valves should work.
If there is already compression, then my next guess may be to check the timing.

After rereading your post, I see you DID bleed the air out, but then it seems to disappear. How did the multiair mesh filter look? If the car was run on regular, Not synthetic oil, the screen builds up gunk on it and you either clean or replace, It's on the head, top part on the timing belt side. There are pictures and youetube on checking and replacing it. Just another thought since you initially have compression, then it goes away.
I think I'll take a look at that multiair filter. No idea what was oil used in it's past life but I will say that when I got the car, It started up every time with no trouble, was able to drive it for over 30 mins straight without it stalling on me. Even with only 3 working cylinders! I'll also recheck the timing while I'm at it. Thanks for your help!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts