Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there one that works particularly well with the Blue&Me system? Currently I use a Sandisk Clip with audio-in cable since my BMW doesn't support USB, but I figured I'd get a USB stick for the 500. I use Rhapsody's subscription service, if that's relevant.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
I want to say this is how many of us got our FIAT usb sticks for free, there is more info on the forum if you want to search for it but this is where we registered and shortly afterwards many of us got some cool usb drives. http://www.fiatusa.com/en/join_us.html

I have used a very small PNY and others have used many different so I don't really know that anyone drive is a better choice than another.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I use a Dane Elec brand thumb drive for nearly everything and it plays in the Blue 4 Me without a hitch.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
any USB formatted to NTFS should work fine (FAT32, on the other hand, will not work).
I beg to differ. I have mine formatted to FAT32 and it works just fine.
You two have me wondering now. My Sandisk Clip has a USB cable, so I used that to plug it into the car. After a few minutes of loading tracks, a woman's voice came on and told me the device wouldn't play, and the radio display said too many corrupted files detected. The Clip is formatted as FAT32...

·
Registered
71 Posts
You two have me wondering now. My Sandisk Clip has a USB cable, so I used that to plug it into the car. After a few minutes of loading tracks, a woman's voice came on and told me the device wouldn't play, and the radio display said too many corrupted files detected. The Clip is formatted as FAT32...
I once had that problem with my flash drive just after adding a bunch of songs to it. I unplugged it and plugged it back in and haven't had a problem since.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
Some useful points...
#1. It is called Blue&Me, not Blue 4 Me

#2. The difference in the FAT32 and NTFS will relate mostly to the size of the files it will support with NTFS doing larger and the degree of fragmentation with NTFS being better.
#3. Media Player does not support DRM (Digital Rights Management) protected audio
files. Unsupported audio files on the USB device will be ignored.
#4. The time required by Blue&Me™ to recognize your USB device and start playback may depend on the type of device, its capacity and its contents.
#5. For the best use of Blue&Me™ it is recommended to use USB devices with maximum capacity of 32 GB.
#6. Of the formats recognized by Blue&Me™, .mp3, .wma and .mp4 can contain multimedia information while the .wav format cannot. It may also be the case
that multimedia information has not been entered for an audio file that supports it.
In these cases, scrolling through audio files can only take place by folder (if organised
in folders).
#7. Media Player supports most USB 1.0, 1.1 or 2.0 storage devices that can be configured as an external disk (mass storage device).Notes It is advisable not to use USB devices provided with “password” function. If the USB device is equipped with this function, always ensure that the function is disabled. Media Player supports just one media library. When a new USB device is connected, Blue&Me™ will generate a new library, replacing the existing one.
#8. Media Player supports the playback of audio files with the following formats:
Extension Audio encoding
.wma
.mp3
.wav
.M4A
MP4
Note Media Player does not support audio files compressed with other formats. If there are unsupported audio files on the USB device they will be ignored. It supports the WMA version 1 and WMA version 2 standards. (WMA2 = 353, WMA1 = 352).
Supports WMA Voice audio formats. MPEG–1 Layer 3 files (sampling frequencies 32 kHz, 44.1 kHz and 48 kHz) and MPEG–2 layer 3 (16 kHz, 22.05 kHz and 24 kHz). The following bit rates are supported: 16 kbps, 32 kbps, 64 kbps, 96 kbps, 128 kbps, and 192 kbps. It also supports the Fraunhofer MP2.5 extension (sampling frequencies 8 kHz, 11.025kHz and 12 kHz). Audio in digital format, without data compression.
MPEG-4 files (sampling frequencies between 22.05 kHz and 48 kHz) The following bit rates are supported: 8 kbps – 256 kbps.
#9. Media Player supports the playback of playlists in the following formats: .wpl – files based on Windows®which contain a playlist. (the capacity limit of the playlist in this format is 300 KB). You can create .wpl playlists by using Microsoft® Windows Media® Player. Media Player does not support nested or connected playlists. Both relative and absolute paths to songs are supported in the playlists. Media Player does not support playlists generated by a software application based on criteria or specific preferences. Media Player will play playlists that include paths that lead to digital audio files in the folder.
#10. To see the list of supported mobile phones and functions, consult the dedicated site www.fiat.com, Blue&Me™ section, or call Customer Services on 00800.3428.0000.
(Not so sure it would be the # you want to call, prob best to use North America #)
Ten available voice recognition language files that can be downloaded alternatively onto Blue&Me™ (Italian, French, English, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Polish, Brazilian, Turkish).
#11. Music track collection may exceed the maximum number of audio files that can be imported into the library (the maximum number can vary from 12,000 to 16,000 files, depending on the file type).
#12. Your music track collection on the USB device includes folders nested more than 20 folders deep. The digital audio files in these nested folders will not be imported into the library.
#13. Digital audio playback - you can play all your digital audio files .mp3,.wma,.wav,.aac) or play a customized playlist (.m3u or.wpl format).
#14. As I mentioned above about the phone #... To consult the list of mobile phones and functions supported, consult the dedicated website www.fiat.com Blue&Me™ or Customer Services on 888-CIAO-FIAT (888-242-6342).

I will also add the USB drive sent from FIAT shows as simply FAT, not FAT16, FAT32, or NTFS, just FAT in the event anyone was wondering about that.

Hope this is useful to someone, took awhile to get it copied and pasted over from the two manuals...lol.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Some useful points...
#3. Media Player does not support DRM (Digital Rights Management) protected audio
files. Unsupported audio files on the USB device will be ignored.
Ah, this is likely the issue! My Clip is only 4GB and just half full, but the majority of its content is DRM-managed Rhapsody downloads. Now that I think on it, it was only showing tracks I'd copied from CDs before I got the error message. For now, I'll continue with the audio-in jack...

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
Ah, this is likely the issue! My Clip is only 4GB and just half full, but the majority of its content is DRM-managed Rhapsody downloads. Now that I think on it, it was only showing tracks I'd copied from CDs before I got the error message. For now, I'll continue with the audio-in jack...

Good to have figured it out, as stated it all came from two of my FIAT related manuals, they are in pdf form so if you wanted them I could email you sometime, just let me know. You may also want to look at this information: http://www.wondershare.com/drm-removal/remove-amazon-drm.html
:cool:

·
Registered
433 Posts
I beg to differ. I have mine formatted to FAT32 and it works just fine.
sorry I had that backwards. I had an NTFS format mSDHC card I was using for videos that were too large for FAT32. I put some audio tracks on it and my FIAT refused to recognize them... might just have been a bad connection on the mSDHC to USB adapter I was using.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good to have figured it out, as stated it all came from two of my FIAT related manuals, they are in pdf form so if you wanted them I could email you sometime, just let me know.
Thanks for the offer. I got the car on Wednesday night and spent the holiday running around, so I'm hoping to get into the DVD manual over the weekend. If I find that doesn't answer all my questions, I'll take you up on that.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It came with the car (they also downloaded the iPhone version to my iPad) - they said to get paper I'd have to call an 800 number (which I plan to do).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Sorry... Not wanting to hi-jack thread and get it off course. Would you mind messaging me with any info that might be on the CD so I can ask my dealer about it? I just took delivery last week of mine and all I got was an owners manual in a rose colored holder.

Thanks all and sorry to have gotten away from USB Stick question,

Mark

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sure. I'm still at work, but I'll pm you the info tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
10 Posts
USB drive doesn't work

I want to say this is how many of us got our FIAT usb sticks for free, there is more info on the forum if you want to search for it but this is where we registered and shortly afterwards many of us got some cool usb drives. http://www.fiatusa.com/en/ I hav...e tried PNY and SanDisk drives, same results.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
How do you get the USB drive to work? I have tried three different drives and each time the media said no source found. I have tried PNY and SanDisk drives, same results.
What format is the filesystem on the USB drive? FAT,FAT32,NTFS for example, and what type of files are you trying to use? I posted somewhere on the forum every file type the B&M in the 500 can read. Are you trying to use it for EcoDrive or just for media playback? Depending on the answers to these what answers are given.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts