Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Know any good Level 2 chargers to recommend? I'm going to install it outdoors, and hope to stay around a $600 price point, or less. I've been looking at the ChargePoint brand, just because they have some extra features and look nicer than a generic utility box. What else is out there?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Juicebox 40 or Juicebox Pro 40 from eMotorwerks is a good option. They are rated for indoor and outdoor use. Cost is around $500-$600 depending on which model you choose. The charging cables are heavy duty (quite thick) and longer (24') than others I've seen in this category. It also delivers 40 amps (Juicebox) vs. 32 amps (Chargepoint). Easy installation, just plug & play if you have a NEMA 14-50 outlet.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have the Clipper Creek HCS-40 and I was impressed with the quality. I would say steer clear of the budget Level 2 chargers. I researched chargers a fair amount and the cheaper level 2's seem to have occasional issues such as wiring and internal fuses failing. Stick with the big name ones and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I've been looking at the ChargePoint brand, just because they have some extra features and look nicer than a generic utility box.
ChargePoint is the only choice for something that looks nice — none of the others even come close. The Juicebox Pro 40 has comparable features, cost slightly less and capable of higher power delivery (doesn't matter for the 500e, but if you care about future proofing for EV's you might own in the future).

·
Registered
734 Posts
Shop by price, they're basically commodities.
16A should be around $300
The car will take 30A, and these chargers will cost quite a bit more but will charge faster.

I charge at 20A and it takes a bit over 4 hours to charge a dead battery.
16A would be closer to 5 hours, methinks.

I run an OpenSource EVSE charger kit that was put together by a guy on another forum.
$300 and selectable amperage.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Would anyone recommend the Juicebox wifi (I think the "Pro") model?
I have the Juicebox Pro and I would definitely recommend it. It's easy to set up and the charging cable is heavy-duty, much thicker than the standard cables which is good (high quality) and bad (heavier to lift). The wifi feature is nice, as it allows you to schedule and monitor your charging from anywhere. I love the higher power output (40 amps) which charges the car very fast.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for getting back. I'm also wondering...if I'm installing this outdoors (driveway), is the extra $25 security bracket the only way to secure the unit? I know it has portability but we don't plan to move it and if, in the course of standard installation, it's possible to have the unit secured to the wall, then I'm wondering if we even need the extra bracket.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for getting back. I'm also wondering...if I'm installing this outdoors (driveway), is the extra $25 security bracket the only way to secure the unit? I know it has portability but we don't plan to move it and if, in the course of standard installation, it's possible to have the unit secured to the wall, then I'm wondering if we even need the extra bracket.
The mounting bracket that comes with the unit allows you to secure the unit permanently to the wall or keep it portable. If you want to keep it permanently secured to the wall there is a screw hole at the bottom of the mounting bracket which you can use to screw into the wall. See attached photos of my unit, I did not have it permanently secured to the wall because it's inside my garage and I'm not worried about it being stolen, but you can see the screw hole that is available on the bottom of the unit.

IMG_8861a.jpg IMG_8860a.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks again. Just to note: you have the older model. I'll need to find the visual specs on their new one to see if it uses the same kind of securing system. Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just got the Juicebox Pro 40 last week and yes, the mounting system is exactly the same as what was previously posted in the pictures.

I like having the smartphone app of the "Pro" version to track my usage, and it seems pretty accurate sofar going by the battery % meter in the car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Chargepoint's Home EVSE currently has a $400 rebate ($200 immediately, another $200 after a year of ownership). They're expensive to start; their 32A charger is $750 (24' cord. Shorter cord models are less expensive) vs. the Juicebox 40A Pro which is $600 with a 24' cord. Still, $350 seems like a really good deal...so much so, I was tempted to return my Juicebox (it's still within 30 days) but since return the Juicebox would run me ~100, it's not like the savings would be a huge ($150).

·
Registered
734 Posts
Makes sense...those charging cables are NOT cheap at all.
I had a guy on another forum build an Open Source EVSE charger for me, I think the cable alone was $100, and the whole unit all-in was just over $300...

·
Registered
2 Posts
We got by with the OEM charging plug for about a month, but upgraded to a used Clipper Creek LCS-25P. It cost us $320 and plugs into an existing dryer receptacle. While it charges at a max of 4.8kWh per hour, it typically gets our 500e fully charged in 3 hours and ready to go for another 45 mile commute (my wife has free charging at work). I plan to upgrade the EVSE in a few years, after the battery density or common charging rate increases and I have a reasonably-priced car that can utilities it. For now, 4.8kWh is just fine. If I'm in a jam, there are 4 ChargePoint stations about 1/4 mi from my house and only charge $1 per hour.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I read that the 500e has a 6.6kW charger, but with my JuiceBox Pro 40, I only see it charging at around 6.1 kW (210 volts * ~29A). I don't know if this is because my home system is only 210 volts vs 240 volts and the car is limiting the amperage.

At a chargepoint station at work, I also only see around 6.0 kW charging rate, but that may be caused by the limits of the station.

If you buy a level 2 EVSE only for the Fiat, then you won't get any benefits by going over 32A. I think the Aerovironment 110/240 EVSE only does 16A though.

·
Registered
734 Posts
There's always some efficiency loss.
My charger will put out 24A, but I only see 22A-23A on the display.

But yeah, looks like your 210V is the limiting factor, and that would be an odd voltage in the US.
Where do you live?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have JuiceBox 40 as well. For the most part it's been working great. I had some issues with their Android app a few revisions back but they were aware of the issue and updated their app to fix TOU charge times.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have the Schneider Electric EV230WS and it works great. No issues at all. The first year I just plugged it into the dryer plug and then I added a 220v line in the garage and mounted it.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts