Fiat 500 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Seems like a bunch of < $300 level 2 chargers recently popped up on Amazon. Previously I was set on the $500 Siemens charger but these are tempting. I'm in CA and have been getting by with the stock charger at home and the L2's at work.

Electric Vehicle Charger Portable EVSE (+ wall mount included) 220-240v Level 2 NEMA... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ERWTI0E/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_DHv4ybW1KZNKX
Just realize this EVSE is pretty low power, stated as 3.8kWh. The 500e can accept 6.6kWh and would charge nearly twice as fast than with a 3.8kWh EVSE.

This EVSE would be fine for a Chevy Volt, or early / base Nissan Leaf that came with a 3.3kWh onboard charger.

i think I'd also prefer to stay with a name brand unit (just my preference).

·
Registered
734 Posts
If you're happy with the L1, then a 16A L2 will be great.
But if you find that you'd use your car a lot more with mid-day charging, then you may want a higher power unit.

I used to charge at 20A, and now 24A. It'll charge it from dead in around 5 hours. I usually only charge at night anyway, so a higher-power charger wouldn't really be a benefit for my use.

I'd say if you charge once per day, then go for a lower power unit. If you anticipate charging multiple times per day, then a higher-power unit makes more sense.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just purchased one of these. Can't post link, I'm a newbie.
I will let you know how it works when I get it. Can't beat 32a for $297 plus $20 for shipping. I was going to get a juicebox pro but the car can be set for time of use so for me I could have 2 of these for the price of 1 jb pro.

·
Registered
734 Posts
$300 for a 32A charger is a great deal.

·
Registered
734 Posts
$317 for a 32A charger is a great deal :D

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,959 Posts
Ya, even if you don't end up getting home L2, DEFINITELY check your utility:

• SCE gave my friend $500 just for leasing a 500e, & then ANOTHER $500 when her lease was up & she bought a Tesla3
  • SCE gave another friend $500 just for leasing an eGolf that she charged free at work & was prevented from charging at home (no plug in carport, & condo rules prevent extension cord).

·
Registered
174 Posts
Sorry for being off topic, SCE rebate offer for charging station install expired for me, but there is a $1000 cash rebate for buying an EV. That makes the 500e even cheaper than it already is.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I like my JuiceBox Pro 40. I picked it up used on ebay for $323.... mounted it to a 4x4 post to make my own charging station. It's been great -- even works with Alexa.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts