Fiat 500 Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
When I shopped HARD for the best value new L2 in 2015, Juicebox was the clear winner (less cost for more power). It looks like they're still one of the best values. Their bottom-of-the-line model that my friend got in 2015 is still going strong after 3 years of daily use for ALL of her 500e charging, & now ALL of her Tesla 3 charging.

·
Registered
23 Posts
HOWEVER, from a 240V outlet (required for L2), for only $20 you can get nearly half the charging speed as a $300+ L2 charger, just by plugging the stock charge-cord in with an adapter.

This kind of option looks good, but I'm going to have to have a 240V outlet installed, so I expect that to be the bulk of the cost I'll spend on a Level 2 charger.

The main reason I want a fixed charger at home is so I don't have to keep setting up the included EVSE every other night. :sneaky: Charging near where I work is just so nice to connect the cable and then put it back when I leave. I'd also like to have the Telsa destination/home charger adapter that the previous poster resurrected this thread with, but I have been so focused on the cost-savings with this car that I haven't been able to justify any $200+ purchases, since I haven't needed a second EVSE or other adapters yet.

Either way, I expect to be cruising eBay this year for a sub-$400 JuiceBox Pro 40, since that sounds like a good option for the 500e and whatever next EV we end up getting to replace the other car in a few years.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
The main reason I want a fixed charger at home is so I don't have to keep setting up the included EVSE every other night. :sneaky: Charging near where I work is just so nice to connect the cable and then put it back when I leave.
At home with the stock charge-cord I just connect the cable and then put it back when I leave.

I leave my stock charge-cord plugged in at home, at least when I'm confident I can charge somewhere along my route &/or when I know I can make it back home without even charging at all.

·
Registered
109 Posts
When I shopped HARD for the best value new L2 in 2015, Juicebox was the clear winner (less cost for more power). It looks like they're still one of the best values. Their bottom-of-the-line model that my friend got in 2015 is still going strong after 3 years of daily use for ALL of her 500e charging, & now ALL of her Tesla 3 charging.
I liked my Juicebox when it worked. Out of warranty is a boat anchor if it breaks. They won't sell parts(particularly the MOBO) for the older models. The latest models I think they are actually fully supported.

I like my OpenEVSEs, while they aren't without issues. Its an easy DIY kit and I like being able to replace parts when the time arises. The only issue I've had is the wifi set up, its an odd web based app, that sometimes has connection issues. But I think the issue has more to do with connecting to my mesh wifi, the arduino wifi dongles in the OpenEVSE.

·
Registered
34 Posts
We have 50A exterior outlet so I immediately tried 30A $300 EVSE. Charged quick but screwed with the Fiat scheduled charging. Search my posts about it for more detail. Short story it went back.

I learned about the 240V plug hack with the OEM EVSE and it behaves beautifully using OEM scheduling. [email protected] = 2.8kW which seems to be plenty for our 6 hour weekday super low tier window.

Because I’m not entirely certain what causes the incompatibility regarding Scheduled Charge and aftermarket EVSE I’m sticking with OEM. In fact, ‘picked up another used one for about $150 eBay.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I just purchased a Chargepoint Home Flex a couple of weeks ago and installed it last week because my local utility company offered, starting Jan 1, 2020, a $500 rebate for purchasing a Chargepoint EVSE and connecting them to the data collection database.

Now I stumbled upon the Alternative Fuel Infrastructure Tax Credit which looks like it has been extended to the end of 2020. So do I simply save my receipts for the EVSE and any wiring and subpanel costs, and complete the proper tax form to get the tax credit? It looks like it is 30% of the cost up to $1,000.

Alternative Fuels Data Center: Alternative Fuel Infrastructure Tax Credit

Alternative Fuel Infrastructure Tax Credit
NOTE: This incentive originally expired on December 31, 2016, but was retroactively extended through December 31, 2020, by Public Law 116-94.

Fueling equipment for natural gas, propane, liquefied hydrogen, electricity, E85, or diesel fuel blends containing a minimum of 20% biodiesel installed through December 31, 2020, is eligible for a tax credit of 30% of the cost, not to exceed $30,000. Permitting and inspection fees are not included in covered expenses. Fueling station owners who install qualified equipment at multiple sites are allowed to use the credit towards each location. Consumers who purchased qualified residential fueling equipment prior to December 31, 2020, may receive a tax credit of up to $1,000. Unused credits that qualify as general business tax credits, as defined by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), may be carried backward one year and carried forward 20 years. For more information about claiming the credit, see IRS Form 8911, which is available on the IRS Forms and Publications website. (Reference Public Law 116-94, Public Law 115-123, Public Law 114-113, 26 U.S. Code 30C and 38, and IRS Notice 2007-43(PDF))

Point of Contact
U.S. Internal Revenue Service
Phone: (800) 829-1040
Internal Revenue Service | An official website of the United States government

41 - 48 of 48 Posts