Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if anyone has tried Red-line MTL in their transmission. I used it in my 1993 MR2 and it did seem to make the transmission shift a little more smoothly.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I'd file this under - change it when it's due, but not while it's new. Hey, that rymes!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't really need it. My auto 6 speed shifts smooth as butter.
I'm pretty sure MTL is only for those of us with a manual transmission.:)

·
Registered
117 Posts
I'd kind of make the same argument for the manual though - how much more smoothly do you really want it to shift? I can't really imagine Red Line offering any improvement unless shift quality markedly deteriorates over the next ump-teen thousand miles.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd kind of make the same argument for the manual though - how much more smoothly do you really want it to shift? I can't really imagine Red Line offering any improvement unless shift quality markedly deteriorates over the next ump-teen thousand miles.
I put MTL in my MR2 at 16,000 miles. The transmission was working quite well before the change. It did shift a little better with the MTL. A friend put MTL in his Miyata. The Miyata had a great gearbox,one of the best I've ever used, it also showed an noticeable improvement with MTL. Not a vast improvement but one that you could notice. The Fiat shifts very well but that doesn't mean it can't be improved.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
I put MTL in my MR2 at 16,000 miles. The transmission was working quite well before the change. It did shift a little better with the MTL. A friend put MTL in his Miyata. The Miyata had a great gearbox,one of the best I've ever used, it also showed an noticeable improvement with MTL. Not a vast improvement but one that you could notice. The Fiat shifts very well but that doesn't mean it can't be improved.
With the Miata MTL is great, the Moto-Craft synthetic used at the Ford dealerships though it is said to be even better, man I so miss driving the Miata. :(

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
With the Miata MTL is great, the Moto-Craft synthetic used at the Ford dealerships though it is said to be even better, man I so miss driving the Miata. :(
I totally agree on the Miata being a really great drive. It's so very reliable also.I almost bought one when I traded in the MR2. I ended up getting a 91 Lotus Elan instead (FWD). It's not a bad car either and only about 600 were brought into the states.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
I totally agree on the Miata being a really great drive. It's so very reliable also.I almost bought one when I traded in the MR2. I ended up getting a 91 Lotus Elan instead (FWD). It's not a bad car either and only about 600 were brought into the states.
Nice! More MR2 like and definitely the rarer choice, Miata being the #1 all time selling convertible in the world you'd definitely see more of them than the Elan. :) Mazda/Ford did an amazing thing creating one of the best drivers cars ever for such a low price compared to cars that have similar handling and cost a considerable amount more! To stay on topic I guess I should mention MTL, eh, that's good enough....lol. (Seems the thread is answered well enough anyways)

·
Registered
289 Posts
The owners manual suggests that the manual trans fluid is a "lifetime fill" if you believe in such a thing. There is no capacity listed, only that the fluid is Mopar C635DDCT MTX. The Redline web site dosen't list an applicable manual fluid for the 500 so I would be carefull what you put in it. Many Mustang T5 trannys bit the dust because people thought they were putting in the best synthetic manual trans fluid when they actually called for ATF. I agree in the fluid upgrade, just be sure to put in something compatable.:)

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The owners manual suggests that the manual trans fluid is a "lifetime fill" if you believe in such a thing. There is no capacity listed, only that the fluid is Mopar C635DDCT MTX. The Redline web site dosen't list an applicable manual fluid for the 500 so I would be carefull what you put in it. Many Mustang T5 trannys bit the dust because people thought they were putting in the best synthetic manual trans fluid when they actually called for ATF. I agree in the fluid upgrade, just be sure to put in something compatable.:)
Many thanks for the heads up. :)Thankfully I have a few more months of breaking in the car before I play with the fluids. Maybe the Redline site will list the 500 by then.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts