Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If it seems like you might have lost some range, it might just be the % gauge needing calibration (by taking it to zero*).

The car stops charging when its own gauge shows 100%, & reportedly stops driving VERY shortly after it shows 0%. So if that gauge is out of calibration, it could reduce your range by cutting off charging before it's really done. It could also stop the car before the battery really is too low:

When my car showed 100%, OBD read only 95%. (gauge 5% HIGH)
When it showed 29%, OBD read 34%. (gauge 5% LOW)
When it showed 11%, OBD read 18%. (gauge 7% low)

It seems that the lower I go, the further the % gauge shows below the real level. I could have 8% left when the car stops because the gauge shows zero!

I might regain the full potential range if I re-calibrate the gauge by taking it to 0%*.

I was tempted to do so but I rarely drive even half that far, however if you do, I recommend giving it a shot. It would be nice if you could report if there's any noticeable difference.

* Apparently it's best to then L2 charge non-stop til it's done.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It seems to require going BELOW 0%*. Drive to 0% near a charger, then park by it & turn on everything.

2-day 12V disconnect does NOT seem to work for THIS. I just did a 48-hr 12V disconnect & my car's % gauge still reads lower than OBD, which still says "SOC calibration in progress".

*Someone reported that going to 0% made no difference.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just realized how to know when to stop discharging: When OBD suddenly drops from 14V to 12V (or at least when the 12V warning comes on):

When parked with the key on, everything is running off the DC converter that keeps the 12V batt charged off the HV batt.

At some point the HV will stop supplying 12V power, so we're no longer draining it. That's when OBD suddenly drops from 14V to 12V.

For those without an OBD reader I wonder if disconnecting the12V would work. For sure we should be able to stop when we see this (pic by Warriors2727?):
E7350FDB-7DC1-49DF-9363-8A14CA5646F4.jpeg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts