Fiat 500 Forum banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Right. Back to the thread topic, it would be really nice to figure out an easier way to reset the % gauge besides waiting 2 1/4 hours* with everything turned on, after hitting 0%.

The only thing I've thought of so far that hasn't been eliminated yet is holding the brake pedal while in D, & pressing the accelerator a bit. But is that even safe at all, & if so, at what level? (the car's power gauge doesn't show it, but OBD does)

*more or less, depending on how far off your % gauge is. 2 1/4 hours is the only number I know, from when Warriors2727? successfully regained lost range.
Hey I would like to ask what do you think about the Chevy volt and the BMW I3?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Yes but If I bough other use one I will have the same range problem plus probably I will be getting 3 k for mine
I really don't believe that you have a range problem. The range numbers published for EPA are generated using a specific driving profile, over specific terrain, at a specified temperature. All of these are virtually impossible to duplicate in the real world. In fact any combination of temperature, driving style, and terrain can seriously impact those numbers.

For example the EPA highway driving cycle has an average speed of 48 MPH and a top speed of 60 MPH. Very few regular people drive on the highway at those speeds. Personally I've learned over the last 3 years to put the 500e in cruise control in the low 60's and drive in the right lane. But a lead foot driving in the upper 70 MPH range should have no expectation of getting anything close to the projected range.

Now the 500e might be the wrong car for you. The rule of thumb for EVs is to get an EV with at least double the range of your average trip. If you are really driving 60-70 miles per day, which is way off the charts in terms of a daily average, then the 500e isn't the right car for the job. My daily commute, pre Covid, was 25 miles round trip. So I know that even when it's winter and I'm starting with a 50% battery I could get to work and back. That was followed up with a backup of a charging station at work if I needed it.

One doesn't usually use a hammer on a screw. It's not the the tool's fault if it doesn't fit the application. My only complaint is that it is difficult to figure out if the 500e is actually faulty. That it's difficult to create the conditions necessary to see if the range is within specifications.

ga2500ev

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I really don't believe that you have a range problem... get an EV with at least double the range of your average trip. If you are really driving 60-70 miles per day.. then the 500e isn't the right car for the job. My only complaint is that it is difficult to figure out if the 500e is actually faulty.
Agreed 99% with that entire post*, but we might be able to figure out how to determine 500e battery health if someone would PLEASE post their OBD's max voltage here: Estimating 500e Battery Health & if that fails, we can keep brainstorming there.

*60-70 miles/day can be okay in a mild climate IF you can L1 charge at work AND home, or if you have L2 at one end (unless that one end is at the top of a mountain).

I hadn't seen that "double range" rule. Maybe that's why they originally gave a little more than double the daily average range to 500e, eGolf & i3 (& '14 Leaf).

& maybe Warriors meant he has a problem with the (now restored) range of a 500e (as you note "not the right tool").

41 - 43 of 43 Posts