Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So the fiat is the most "transparent" EV I've driven. With very mild regen when "coasting" it really does act like a normal auto trans car. I'm sure this is a huge plus for many drivers. The trouble is I would rather have aggressive regen when I release the accelerator. I only own manual transmission vehicles and really like compression breaking. Strong regenerative braking mimics that well, actually its even better because it's more linear. This is one thing I really enjoyed in the model S. Does anyone know if this can be tuned/adjusted for driver preference?

·
Registered
6 Posts
There is one trick but it's not a solution: Set the cruise control to its lowest speed (25mph) and it will regen when you let off the accelerator... Until you hit 25mph...

That being said, the less regen on throttle lift, the more efficient.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just tried that haha. It did make a difference but your right, it's not a solution. Every time I get under 25 cruise is canceled. I disagree about the more efficient statement though. At least in theory. Just because the car will slow if you lift off the pedal doesn't mean you have to lift off the pedal. Other EV's are like this and still very efficient. Ideally there's a small neutral throttle zone so that very minor movements of the pedal don't cause unintended braking. Unfortunately this cruise control trick is missing that neutral zone so it is a little rough.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,236 Posts
There is one trick but it's not a solution: Set the cruise control to its lowest speed (25mph) and it will regen when you let off the accelerator... Until you hit 25mph...

That being said, the less regen on throttle lift, the more efficient.
Thanks for trying, but:

- I tested on my drive home this evening, & regen above 25mph is identical with cruise off or set to 25mph, at least in my 2013 500e.

- Efficiency is controlled by your feet. Switching regen from the left pedal to the right pedal only makes a difference depending on how you move/hold your feet on those pedals. My friend's eGolf has that adjustment & all it changes is how you move/hold your feet to accelerate/decellerate.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,236 Posts
What WOULD help efficiency is allowing full regen all the way down to zero mph. My friend's eGolf used to switch to electrically-powered mechanical brakes around 6mph, just like a Fiat. At her last "service" ($100+ inspection) they must have done a software update because now it regens all the way to a dead stop & I get up to 5.2mi/kWh in it & I average 4.6 in my Fiat, but then a used eGolf costs about $8,000 more than a 500e.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your absolutely right. Efficiency is controlled by your feet. What I'm asking about would just be changing the way the accelerator processes inputs. Right now I could accomplish the same thing with two foot driving but I'm driving to work not auto crossing. I'd rather avoid radical measures to accomplish this. I would like the regen all the way to zero that would be nice but not really the point of what I'm looking for in this instance.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,236 Posts
Agreed 100%. I only mentioned efficiency since Scoops did.

Someone should be able to come up with software we can purchase at a reasonable cost which adds a few items to the existing menu screen:

- Level of regen available on the right pedal, preferably unlimited (eGolf & Leaf2.0 limits are still weaker than I'd like)

- Level of power steering assist, &/or speed at which it's reduced to zero.

- Speed at which mechanical brakes activate (preferably including "zero")

- Minimum speed for cruise control (no reason it can't be at least as low as eGolf's 15mph)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So far every "can I do __________?" Question I've had with this car has been answered No. But a software hack of some sort seems to be the solution to everything I'm looking for. Someone please make this. You could probably make dozens of dollars selling to myself and Shredder here. : ) Don't get me wrong I love this car right out of the box but I'm a bit of a control freak and I always want to make a good thing better.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,236 Posts
If you can do it that would be great!

Don't get me wrong I love this car right out of the box but I'm a bit of a control freak and I always want to make a good thing better.
Me too: Love it stock, but got lighter non-staggered wheels & better tires, and "added lightness" * by removing the back seat & assorted other parts I don't use.

I also pulled the power steering fuse, so THAT is better (except when parking).

* Colin Chapman, I think

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you can do it that would be great!

Me too: Love it stock, but got lighter non-staggered wheels & better tires, and "added lightness" * by removing the back seat & assorted other parts I don't use.

I also pulled the power steering fuse, so THAT is better (except when parking).

* Colin Chapman, I think
Disabling power steering save any noticeable battery? How about weight reduction? Would you say it's worth it or not?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi both. Well, there is a solution and in fact rather elegant one. It’s actually build in.
You can switch your EVIC display to show you motor power to observe by pressing right stick button. The way how Bosch solved variable regen is by how much you press brake pedal. When you are still in motion the car will not apply mechanical brakes (unless you brake really hard) but instead will feed energy back to battery! I have seen up to 70 kW!!!
Car stops regen and applies mechanical brakes at around 6 mph.
I discoreverd this randomly by looking at the motor power while driving in the city.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,236 Posts
I haven't NOTICED any battery savings from weight loss or disabling power steering*, but it has to be helping, mile after mile, to increase the lifespan of the entire drivetrain from less load on batt, motor, charger, brakes, CV joints, etc.

Yes worth it, even if only for cargo space, which I have periodically used completely. It was pretty easy to remove the rear seats. Just 4 bolts, I think, & it becomes quite spacious. Also worth it when something wears out & I will say "well it would have gone sooner if I was hauling all that extra weight every day".

*I did that for feel, not to save power, but with a 70A fuse you'd think it would make a difference, however nearly nothing does make much difference compared to driving a couple mph slower!

·
Registered
561 Posts
Disabling power steering save any noticeable battery? How about weight reduction? Would you say it's worth it or not?
The energy savings would be minuscule compared to how much the drivetrain uses to propel a 3000 lb vehicle. The effect will be similar as for a gas engine car. Disabling power steering and reducing weight in a gas car would only increase mpg by a very tiny amount (unless you massively reduce weight, like 25% of the total car).

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,236 Posts
Ya, air drag is such a huge factor that it's virtually impossible to see any difference in enery use, when a few mph makes more difference than nearly anything else.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I haven't NOTICED any battery savings from weight loss or disabling power steering*, but it has to be helping, mile after mile, to increase the lifespan of the entire drivetrain from less load on batt, motor, charger, brakes, CV joints, etc.

Yes worth it, even if only for cargo space, which I have periodically used completely. It was pretty easy to remove the rear seats. Just 4 bolts, I think, & it becomes quite spacious. Also worth it when something wears out & I will say "well it would have gone sooner if I was hauling all that extra weight every day".

*I did that for feel, not to save power, but with a 70A fuse you'd think it would make a difference, however nearly nothing does make much difference compared to driving a couple mph slower!
Note that upstream of the power steering sysyem, ie most of the steering column , you're now putting a ton more stress and wear than before, especially when at low speeds

1 - 20 of 25 Posts