Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a new battery in my 2012 Pop. It was only 20 months old. The Napa guy said that it failed because the car needed to relearn the battery - that the car needed to learn that its has a new battery and to not charge it so much. He mentioned Mini in his lecture so don't think he's right. I can't find anything about this. Is there a procedure or not?

·
Registered
972 Posts
You could ask your Fiat dealer, but the 500 does not have a BMS system to register. Fiat uses BMS (battery management system) in their stop/go technology cars, as I understand it, but the US 500 uses older technology. Your car could have a parasitic drain or he sold you a junk battery, perhaps one that had been on the shelf for a couple years. I usually go for a higher Ah battery than factory installed.

Mini, Ford, and many other makes use a BMS. The idea is to extend battery life while using a smaller battery... in theory. The alternator is a drag on the engine when charging, so the idea is to have it kick on less often when the battery is new, saving fuel. As it ages, BMS kicks on more often. In real life, this scheme can shorten battery life. The reason for resetting (registering) a battery is to let the car know the battery is new, so it doesn't pulse a new battery to death.

The 500 uses older tech that's worked well for the last 100 years, simply maintaining a constant voltage. It uses a bit more fuel but, if all is in working order, the battery isn't subjected to thousands of partial discharge/charge cycles per year. As you know, clean your battery terminals and use a corrosion preventative on the posts. It might also be wise to remove the battery tray and clean/treat the connections underneath. If the car sits for more than a week between uses, a battery minder can be added to keep the battery topped up. (The electronics remain on 24/7, in standby mode, much like your home appliances, drawing small loads even when the turned off.)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excellent explanation. That confirms he assumed the 500 was like a mini. Good to know. Now to check to see if there is some sort of drain on the system.

·
Registered
12,712 Posts
No
I put a new battery in my 2012 Pop. It was only 20 months old. The Napa guy said that it failed because the car needed to relearn the battery - that the car needed to learn that its has a new battery and to not charge it so much. He mentioned Mini in his lecture so don't think he's right. I can't find anything about this. Is there a procedure or not?
No such thing..... No procedure. The 500, doesn‘t need to lean anything. You install a new battery, if its output, is 12.4 volts. The car will start, no issues at all. Batteries fail all the time. On my 9 year old Fiat. The first battery died with in the first 2 years of ownership. We just had to replace the battery on our 2 year old Accord. In 2013, Fiat replace my battery free 7 years ago. I watched them. I Got in the car drove away. That battery, is still in my car today. You just got a bad battery, the went prematurely.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts