Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to remove the rear headrest so the seats lay flat when down but could not figure out how to get them out. I pushed the button and pulled up on them but they wont come out. Any ideas?

·
Registered
614 Posts
I wanted to remove the rear headrest so the seats lay flat when down but could not figure out how to get them out. I pushed the button and pulled up on them but they wont come out. Any ideas?
Saw this in the owners manual:

WARNING: To make the best use of the head restraint protective action, adjust the back rest so that you are setting upright and keep your head as close as possible to the head restraint.

REAR: (for versions/markets, where provided) To extract the rear head restraints press buttons B fig. 22 and C fig. 22 at the side of the two supports simultaneously and upwards.
The rear head restraints must be lifted out with the back rest released and tilted toward the passenger compartment or with the tailgate open. To bring the head restraint to the
correct position, lift it until you hear it click. To lower the head restraint press button B. The particular head restraint shape deliberately interferes with the passenger correctly
supporting their back on the back rest in order to force them to lift the head restraint and use it correctly.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
Has anyone taken the whole rear seats out? That would seem to maximize space. Or is it a foolish idea?
Mentioned seat removal earlier tonight myself, hope someone can post on it, I know someone here removed the ENTIRE interior of their 500 but I cannot recall who, they did dynomat behind the door panels and floors and redid the entire stereo system, possibly more but it was stripped so they have done it if no one else has...yet.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yes, there are aftermarket rear seat delete kits for MINI's that have a fiberglass board with footings that fits over the rear compartment to make the entire area a single level with two storage areas below it. I've been waiting for a similar kit to come out for FIAT but nothing yet. May have to be DIY with the 500.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Yes, there are aftermarket rear seat delete kits for MINI's that have a fiberglass board with footings that fits over the rear compartment to make the entire area a single level with two storage areas below it. I've been waiting for a similar kit to come out for FIAT but nothing yet. May have to be DIY with the 500.
I would be up for that mod. I have no use for the rear seat at all. personally, if a storage bin/unit similar to what the CRZ uses could be made available, I would be all over that. its like an extention of the rear cargo area coming forward, but flips UP and underneath, there are two storage bins. way cool.

if only........

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had a local shop make it. I only outlined and planned the idea, they implemented my concept. The plan was designed over about a twenty minute discussion with them. It took the shop about 3 hours to do the work.

Audio Playground was who did the conversion. http://www.audioplaygroundsf.com/index.cfm

I have the seats and hardware stored in my garage. Basically there were the two seat backs, the lower bench, and a large bracket which bolts to the floor and is between the two seats. All the other bolts were returned to the original holes to keep in place. Total cost with installation was $181 (including tax).

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I removed my rear head rests with a Dremel. Took about 45 minutes but it looks so much better.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I removed my rear head rests with a Dremel. Took about 45 minutes but it looks so much better.
I am confused,what did you use a dremmel for? My rear headrests slid right out of the socket. I also removed the passenger headrest. It makes it a lot easier to see out of the right side of the car. I left it stored in the car so I can put it back in if I have a passenger.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts