Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a YouTube video mentioning removing the back seats, to save weight.
I'm not going to use the space for anything other than cargo.

Is this fairly easy?
How much weight?
Does it look OK, with them missing?

· Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
5,112 Posts
While folding mine flat I noticed how VERY heavy they are, I guess to protect the back passengers from a rear-end crash. I believe they're about 70 pounds total. Mine are in the corner of the garage, but I don't have a scale. There's only about 6 bolts to remove them, but at least some of the bolts take quite a bit of torque, although I managed to get mine out without injury or even cursing.

· Registered
1,105 Posts
An impact on those Torx bolts gets them out quickly and painlessly. On the gas cars, the rear seats are about 50 pounds. Removal of mine didn't make any noticeable difference in rear ride-height, but it might be different for the 500e. The rear seats are supposedly structural when in the upright position; not sure about the 500e.

Attachments

· Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
5,112 Posts
I just removed the hatch sub-floor & left the fairly light rear seat bottom in place to cover the most uneven parts. Then it's flat enough for me to just put a black towel behind the seat bottom. There's already a fairly comprehensive thread on this here:

· Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
5,112 Posts
An impact is great if you have one to exactly fit the bolts. Mine didn't need that, but other users' reports seem to indicate more effort than mine so there may be a fairly wide variation in factory torque levels.

I'd be very surprised if Fiat didn't keep the same seat backs on all models. The users claiming 70 pounds may be including removing the brackets & seatbelts, but even 50 pounds seems worth avoiding lugging around every single mile.

· Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
5,112 Posts
I appreciate that, & often feel the same, but this was just a few bolts for a one-time deletion. I think I just used a well-fitting Allen bit :eek: but mine seemed to have less torque than others reported. Maybe the 1st owner of my car deleted it too, & then under-torqued the bolts when replacing them for lease return.

· Registered
19 Posts
So here’s a photo of a 500e with the seats removed:

Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Hood Trunk

As for the benefit, you might shave 100 to 150 lbs off a 3000 lb car, 5% tops. No mileage savings at all at speed, only while accelerating, but you get most of that back in regen. Doubt you’ll be able to see such a tiny benefit.

OTOH you lose big in security, in that your “trunk” contents are now in plain sight, and may then be stolen (plus the car gets damaged during the break-in). IMO not a great idea.

· Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
5,112 Posts
Edit: Yes, that's custom carpet to cover the painted metal exposed by removing the rear seat bottom & the hatch sub-floor.

Ya, only a tiny improvement in acceleration (and braking and cornering), but it's a free performance upgrade ;).

You don't get anything back in regen below 7mph.

In the city with the seats left in, after using extra power to accelerate the extra weight, you get no extra regen from that weight below 7mph, yet it does add a little wear to the brake pads & booster pump, and the latter also uses a little more power from the HV battery.

Some drivers won't always be able to do this though: I prefer the security of leaving no valuables in the car. With no seat, any would-be thief can clearly see there's no reason to break in :).

· Registered
125 Posts
I've removed the back rests but kept the seats. The seats help to hold groceries or something I don't want sliding around back there.

The only problem with keeping the back rests in is when they are folded down they impede the front seats from moving further back, so right off that's an inconvenience for the driver and front passenger if they want more leg room.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts