Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seriously considering removing the door cladding on my Sport.

The dealer is willing to replace the cladding on the driver side as it is not completely flush with the door. It will depend on whether the adhesive can be removed without paint damage on both sides. I would think the cladding would eventually lead to rust as you can't keep the paint clean underneath? Thoughts? You would never know if it is rusting under the cladding until it is too late. Then again, maybe the cladding prevents rust?

I also just noticed a rust spot on the windshield wiper blade where there is a chip in the black paint which probably occurred during the transit from Mexico to the dealer. Hopefully the wiper arms are not a bad omen.

·
Registered
13,454 Posts
Just have the dealer fix the issues. The car is under warranty. Touch up the rust spot with some black paint. No big deal. You'll end up scatching up you car more, trying to take the rocker molding cladding off. Good luck.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I saw a video of them applying the adhesive for those moldings and they were putting it on pretty thick, but the fact that it appears to be coming off too soon may bode well for getting it off without incident, but who knows. Have you run your idea by the dealer?

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Remember where you saw the video?

The dealer was on board with the idea until they removed it. They told me there is more than adhesive involved. They attempted to re-attach the original molding but it immediately started to separate at the same spot so maybe it is warped.

Now they are painting a new panel to match and will try to attach that one. They said they will show me the old one so I can see how it attached and I asked them to take a pic before re-attaching the new one.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
"door" cladding? there's nothing on the doors. if you're talking about the cladding on the rocker panels causing rust, I wouldn't worry.

as you noted about your wiper arm......it has a 'chip' in the paint and it started rusting. as long as the rocker panels are protected by paint and don't get chipped (doubtful with the cladding ON), you shouldn't have to worry about any rust.

just have your dealer reattach them. IMO it will look better and keep its resale value. :)

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You are right....below the door and not on the door.

Paint & Body shop said the new cladding part was warped new in the box so they ordered a new new one. Old one is back on for now.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The dealer said there are 6-8 pins in addition to the adhesive that help line up the cladding. You can't remove it unless you want to puddy and paint the holes in the body. The original cladding appears to be ok now with new sticky tape.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
The dealer said there are 6-8 pins in addition to the adhesive that help line up the cladding. You can't remove it unless you want to puddy and paint the holes in the body. The original cladding appears to be ok now with new sticky tape.

good to hear! wouldn't want to take my cladding off. if I was to do that, I would have bought a Pop and saved a couple grand.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I didn't pay the extra $ because I wanted the cladding. I just wanted the wheels, stereo, suspension, and fog lights. I figure I would have spent more a la carte.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts