Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wondered if others have successfully taken out the inner "tripod" of the left axle assembly (inboard shaft with the splines on it) from the transmission. I have an axle puller on reserve at Auto Zone, but I have no idea if it will fit in there once I start disassembling. I'm going to be taking my left axle shaft out next week and bringing it to a 24 hr refurbishing place (Indy Rack and Axle ... long story of why I can't locate a new axle assembly for my '12 Prima).

On another note, I saw a guy working on an Abarth putting White Lithium grease on the splines before reinserting the inner tripod thing (by the way, he took the axle shaft out with vice grips...and it took him 3 hours per shaft!). The thinking is it seals it. Seems to make sense - recommended?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update: I didn't need an axle puller for the outer, and I didn't end up borrowing a CV puller with slide hammer for the inner - I just used a crowbar and got enough leverage to pry out the inner housing from the transmission. I think this is better than leaving the inner tripod in and rebuilding the boot that way.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts