Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ran just a straight pipe instead of the stock cat? I did it on my svt focus and noticed some power gains. Just wondering if its been done to our 500 yet

·
Registered
339 Posts
Funny I found your post. I had to do it myself on my 95 GT Mustang. No muffler shop would touch it. I thought about it but I just bought, maybe I'll wait a few more thousand miles.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Removing the cat kind of pollutes the air, lol. Seriously, unless your swapping it out for a 200 cell cat, I wouldn't do it.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Power gains YES. Noise YES Loud, very loud Worth it? Not in a state that has emissions. In those cases just get a high flow cat. Power gains on 101hp motor would be maybe 3hp tops

·
Registered
777 Posts
makes the exhaust smell bad. you will get a light on the dash. Really no gains. sounds like leaving it alone is best.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Id rather remove the dog than the cat, he tears up my seats more ;) Seriously, don't mess with it. Its there for a reason like others have said if your really hunting that much for more power do a high flow cat, or look for mods elsewhere.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Funny I found your post. I had to do it myself on my 95 GT Mustang. No muffler shop would touch it. I thought about it but I just bought, maybe I'll wait a few more thousand miles.
If you are in the states, there's a reason they won't touch it. It's a HUGE fine in many states. Texas has constant rolling stings to nab the garages that will do the job.

If you really want the cat gone, just park the car in an area of town known for catalytic thefts. No joke. It's been in the Dallas news a few times. Those things are full of platinum, and can usually be removed by thieves in less than five minutes. Parking on a set of oil change ramps may help facilitate the theft. After its gone, start searching for a safety inspection business that you can bribe...because you will no longer pass your yearly emissions test.

Overall, a bad idea.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
If you are in the states, there's a reason they won't touch it. It's a HUGE fine in many states. Texas has constant rolling stings to nab the garages that will do the job.

If you really want the cat gone, just park the car in an area of town known for catalytic thefts. No joke. It's been in the Dallas news a few times. Those things are full of platinum, and can usually be removed by thieves in less than five minutes. Parking on a set of oil change ramps may help facilitate the theft. After its gone, start searching for a safety inspection business that you can bribe...because you will no longer pass your yearly emissions test.

Overall, a bad idea.
Wow, cat theft?

·
Registered
175 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts