Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think its still premature to say they'll be merging. AT&T has attempted to merge with Tmobile multiple times and same with Tmobile merging with Sprint. Would be weird but I've heard rumors of Renault and Peugeot wanting to enter the US market again.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I think its still premature to say they'll be merging. AT&T has attempted to merge with Tmobile multiple times and same with Tmobile merging with Sprint. Would be weird but I've heard rumors of Renault and Peugeot wanting to enter the US market again.
I agree, it is premature. FCA can and is supporting itself and making a nice profit. What will they gain from the merger. Renault and Peugeot would gain the US dealer market but I do not see how FCA benefits

·
Registered
116 Posts
Skeptical it will happen, but I kinda like the idea. Particularly when it comes to the possibility of sharing of EV components.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Looking at Renault and Nissan models from the later years, it's obvious that Nissan has borrowed numerous items from Renault.
The Nissan Note is build on same platform as Renault Captur and Clio, the 1.5 Dci engine from Renault also make an appearance in several Nissan models etc.
Those two factories has been collaborating for quite some time, but whether a merger would bring any advantages to any of them is a good question. I'm not sure it would bring more than headaches, considering anti-trust laws are getting tighter all over.

Renault doesn't make quirky cars - they seem to differ from other french manufacurers when it comes to practicality - and quality.
Our Captur is charming - quite like our 500 ;o)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yeah, Datsun=Nissan.

They changed their US tradename in the 80's to try to hide the fact that they were a rice burning Japanese car company.

Tedolph
Not just for the US - also for the European market, so probably it was world-wide at once.

An old story on the Datsun name: It is said that once upon a time, the name was Dat - no more.
Then came the days when they started to export their cars - got a big order for the british market, but delivery time was draggin....
So every time the british importer asked what the delivery day was, the Dat representatives bowed about 7 times before answering (in a very japanese accent) "Dat soon, Dat soon".....

·
Registered
20 Posts
I read that Nissan bought Datsun.

I heard a joke about it. the joke goes, Nissan called a German company for a name for the American Market. The German asked when they needed it. They said right away. The German company replied with a 'dat soon?'. (Datsun = dat soon) :)

·
Registered
972 Posts
Yes, Dat produced trucks and cars, called DAT, for 20 years. They copied Austins for their cars, pre and post war. Nissan bought Dat in mid 1930's.

Dat's small car line was Dat-son (sen or son means son). It was a stolen Austin 7 design, 500cc (and later 750) to avoid needing a driver's license. When Nissan took over, Datson was changed to Datsun (son can also mean loss, a bad omen). They used the Nissan name for their US headquarters, but decided to use Datsun for their car name. There were too many war crimes associated with the name Nissan. They changed the car branding in the mid-80's to "honor" their company name.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts