Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We started having the "service electrical system" message and yellow "bug" looking symbol on the display. Charging would cut off unexpectedly before the charge limit set on the juicebox was reached. I thought at first that the charging shutoff problem might have been due to the car being run hard in 100 degree heat with the A/C on and then pulling into the garage to charge without waiting (I like to wait a bit, but others in the family use the car too.)

None of the big chain autoparts stores can cross the battery on the 500e. My husband found that it is the same battery used in a Dodge Dart so we were sure it was a "normal" lead acid battery. Found a replacement at O'reilley auto parts by physically matching size. Same A/H rating too. They tested the battery at the store in and out of the car it showed bad. Manuf date of late 2014.

At rest the old battery read 12.6V and with the car plugged in read 14.2 ... so nothing out of the ordinary.

I hope this is the fix. We love the little car and have put 8000 miles on it since Jan 1, 2019. Purchased with 36000 miles on it.

·
Registered
894 Posts
They tested the battery at the store in and out of the car it showed bad. Manuf date of late 2014.
I assume that's the old battery that was bad. Yes, batteries can occasionally show the proper voltage, but then fail a load test. A battery plate will break off. If it shorts internally, or completely breaks off, V will show low (or none). Sometimes it'll leave a small section of the cell attached. It might have enough amps to run a flashlight, but not a car's loads.

Great job on the cross-match.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Replacing a 4-year-old 12V is pretty normal, for a gas car or EV. My buddy's 2014 500e needed 12V replacement last year. My own 2013 hasn't died yet, but I try to always open the hood when charging, & I try to avoid charging in the sun.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The problem came back. We are getting the "service electric vehicle system" message and yellow dash light again. So, more problems. Will get code reader on it when I get a chance.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The problem came back. We are getting the "service electric vehicle system" message and yellow dash light again. So, more problems. Will get code reader on it when I get a chance.
Please note that you cannot use an ordinary ODBII code reader on a Fiat 500e even though it's the same port. The only way to properly diagnose what's going on is to get a ELM327 style bluetooth scanner and connect it to a phone/tablet running AlfaOBD. Otherwise the standard ODBII codes while probing wreak havoc on the 500e.

ga2500ev

·
Registered
32 Posts
I would suggest taking it to a FIAT dealer that knows what they are doing. My new to me 2015 500e was taken to a Dodge/Chrysler dealer by the prior owner and they read generic codes and thought my telematics module was bad. I have now taken it to a FIAT certified EV dealer and my entire HV battery needs to be replaced (free under warranty). 1hr of diagnostic time could save you a lot of hassle down the road.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I figure my 2013 12V is on it's last legs, so I carry a little portable jump-starter, but thanks for reminding me: After nearly four years of zero running costs, I now keep forgetting that I need to budget the money for a new 12V.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2015 500e is having the 12v battery final warning. My question is, how do you get the engine cover off to get to the battery?

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Ya, pull straight up. It takes quite some force, but it seems pretty hard to break. For some reason, (maybe because my hands have about the same spacing) I equate it to around the amount of force to lift a full laundry basket.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts