Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I recently wanted to replace my old lights on my Fiat 500 with new Model LED ones.
Now the problem is, that they glow for a few Moments and and Errror pops up - something translathing to "Lightbulb defective", though everything seems okay with the Light itself and the wiring.
Is there a way to fix it and if so, how would one go about doning so?

Thanks in advance, i hope i'm asking this in the right place and please forgive any spelling errors - english isn't my first language!

·
Registered
Nor-Cal PRK
117 Posts
@385Lada

Welcome!

Great 1st post and it comes through loud and clear (y)

OK - so this is not what you are going to want to hear, but until someone on this forum says something different, I suggest you re-install the old/original incandescent FIAT light bulbs back in your 500, and your error message should stop popping up.

The problem with the LED bulbs is that the car was not designed for them...

In Europe, the 500 was 1st released in 2007, and here in the US we 1st got it in 2012.

14 years ago (2007) LED's were expensive and not popular/mainstream like they are now.

So your best chance is to talk to someone in Germany that has done this, and hopefully can tell you what specific brand/manufacture of LED Bulb worked for them.

The reason I say to talk to someone on your side of the pond is because your 500 has EUROPEAN wiring. In the US we get NORTH AMERICAN wiring. I am sure that this difference is important and what LED solution works here may not work on your 500.

Keep checking back here and see if anybody else has something to say about this - don't give up hope yet :)

Enjoy your 500 -

fast_dave

Afterthought / PS - I did a quick search on the forum "LED" and read that you can possibly damage your 500's BCU (Body Control Unit = $$$$$$) using the "wrong" LED bulbs. The "canbus" wiring system in the 500 is very delicate. Your 500 is telling you that it does not like these LED lightbulbs via the error message.

Read Post #14 by member @bryanintowson

LINK: LEDs that work without errors

My opinion is for you to go back to the stock incandescent light bulbs and just enjoy your 500 the way it was designed - without any worry of EXPENSIVE repair problems caused by installing the "wrong" LED lightbulbs - :cool: There's an expression that us old guys know that seems to work here: "if it's not broke, do not fix it"

·
Registered
Nor-Cal PRK
117 Posts
@385Lada

What Model Year is your 500??????

Take some pictures of what you have done to clarify your question to us :)

You can post photographs for free so take a lot - that will help us help you.

For instance, what type of LED bulb you are you trying to install?

Does the LED Bulb come in a package showing us who made it and what model number it is?

What are the OLD light bulbs that you replaced - is there a model number on them - take a picture?!?!

Pictures like that will be worth 1,000 + words -

1 - 4 of 4 Posts