Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had the joy of replacing my alternator and got it to start, but noticed there was a horrible sound with the starter and it started a few times and then never again. So, I replaced that yesterday with a starter for a 2013-2016 model (they're the exact same as a 2012 starter except the solenoid connector isn't as idiotically engineered. I created an adapter for it by splicing into the wire with the big ring connector for the old-style connector. I kept the ring connector intact and covered it with heat-shrink tubing so that it won't contact the ground.) I did test the new starter before I installed it.

I also have, at this same time, replaced the battery with the new one. The voltage on the new battery is 12.65, as it should be. Using a rotary tool, I cleaned off the contacts for the battery terminal clamps thoroughly. Whenever I open the door to the vehicle, the speedometer display will anemically turn on with the blinking time for about ten seconds and then shut off. This appears to be a connectivity issue but I don't see how -- just yesterday before I replaced the starter, the entire dash and all the other electronics lit up like a Christmas tree and stayed on.

I've read some threads on this forum about the starter and many suggest that there's a ground problem, but I don't see a grounding problem for the starter will affect the rest of the vehicle's anemic electrical performance. I'm sure this is something simple and probably something I overlooked. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm an idiot. It was a fuse, F03 to be exact. I don't understand how that fuse popped from Point A to Point B but it did, so shame on me for not checking the most obvious place first.

But I still have yet to see if this starter will turn over, so I'll be back with any more questions if it doesn't, and the way things have been going I'm going to assume another problem will crop up.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts