Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
new motor ready for installation;

the old motor had 110,000 miles, a spark plug electrode broke off and ending up breaking a piston. This is a pretty labor-intensive operation

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
engine swap is done!

used engines in the 30,000 mile range can be found for about $1200 pretty easily. It took about 16 hrs from start to finish to do the swap

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
What happens when you swap the engine with those newer cars? Do you need to change the status of the title? Also, just completely out of curiosity, what oiled happen if you swap it with different engine completely? Not that I'm doing it anytime soon, I found a couple of twinair engines in the US on eBay before.

·
Registered
13,323 Posts
engine swap is done!

used engines in the 30,000 mile range can be found for about $1200 pretty easily. It took about 16 hrs from start to finish to do the swap
That was fast. I use to do engine swaps on 60's Mustangs, Camaro's and Falcons. In a afternoon.
simple straight forward.You didn't have to remove the front end of the car. A used engine 150 bucks. You could go up to Sears automotive. Buy a new short block, for little or nothing. Today's cars. I wouldn't no where to start. Great job there.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We do lots of engines in older Fiats, and yes it's an afternoon job. The new 500 requires LOTS of pieces to be removed and you can't pull just the engine. The engine/trans has to come out as a package

·
Registered
20 Posts
Aside from the turbo apparatus and intercoolers, is there any significant difference between the 1.4L NA motor and the turbo motor as far as bolting it in the car? Would a turbo motor fit in a Pop body, with allowances made for new intercoolers and such?

·
Banned
4,743 Posts
Good God!

You have to take half the car apart just to install the engine?

Even a ratchet wrench extension isn't going to help you here!

Why would FIAT do that?

TEdolph

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just swapped my sons engine last week, not terribly hard but very tedious. I particularly hated all the fluid replacements, that transmission oil is crazy expensive.

·
Registered
207 Posts
the ZF lifeguard fluid used in the new 8 speed autos in the BMWs I service routinely is $76/liter.

front end of these cars can be taken off in under 30 minutes if you're not dilly dallying. very straight forward.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Many of the Fiat/Chrysler products come with ether the 1.4 turbo or the 2.4. Would it be possible to swap the 1.4 naturally aspirated with the 2.4 in a Fiat 500 manual trans?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey so cal mark did you use a manual to do this swap? Is there any info online or otherwise that demonstrates how to dismantle that front end and lift that motor out? There are a lot of nuances related to doing everything just right and in the right order I'm sure. Were you able to put the car on jack stands only? How high up did you have to go to get the exhaust and manifolds etc out of the way? Does the whole front end need to come off if you are just replacing the head? Theres a guy who does excellent Mini Cooper tear downs on youtube. I've used his videos for multiple Mini projects. Would be great if there ia a well documented motor swap on these 500s. I have a 2013 Fiat 500 and was hoping to put in a 2017 Fiat 500 engine. How do I know if it is compatible? Cheers.:)

·
Registered
24 Posts
My mechanic friend who has the Fiat engine for sale says it is out of a 2017 Fiat Spider. Question of the day - Can that drop into a Fiat 500 pop :) ...?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts