Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new key on Ebay and cut the blade just like my original key.
I need to reprogramm the key electronics to make the remote lock/unlock function work with my Fiat.
Please give me a step by step solution how to program the key.
I won't bring it to a mechanic or a dealer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there a way I can program it? What gear do I need?
Im sure that it would be cheaper doing it by myself.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I assume that you used a milling machine to cut the slot on both sides of the key?

In short you need the Fiat proprietary software on whatever diagnostics computer that the technicians use. I watched them do my new key when, before delivery, my dealer lost my second key. It takes about 20 minutes and is made purposely hard to prevent car theft.

The long answer
You need to connect via the ODBII port with the cars computer that controls the lock system. This is part of the proprietary software of the car. The parts of the cars electronics that you can access via the ODBII port with a hand scanner are standard across all platforms by government regulations so that any mechanic can work on the mechanicals of any car. Then you go deeper into the other systems of the car. Those are not open to anyone but Fiat trained and bonded mechanics.

If you take your Fiat to a Chrysler dealer that does not service Fiat, they can access the open areas, but not the other areas. Their equipment is fully capable, but they don't have the software on their diagnostics computers that can access those areas, and they certainly aren't open to the public.

The only other area of the cars computer that is open that I can think of is the TPMS so that any tire dealer can reprogram the sensors if they are damaged or fail. And even for this you need a special scanner that costs upwards of $250.00.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just checked with my dealer that how much it would cost to reprogram the key I got from Ebay.
and they told me $65.
I spent $20 to buy this uncut key and $20 to cut the blade at the local key shop. and I spend $20 again to get a used key with an electronics in it.
Then I need to spend $65 again to get this complete key?
I think I took too much time on this.
Anyway Thank you for your reply.

·
Registered
130 Posts
That all sounds pretty cheap to me. Locksmiths in my family always complain of factory keys of various models that cost hundreds of dollars.

·
Registered
394 Posts
$150-$250 for a programmed key is not too bad, My X5 key cost me $400 because I have the comfort access option.

·
Registered
3 Posts
They key itself is $161, plus $125 to program, so $285 before tax. The program used is Wi-tech available only to Chrysler.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought the car with only one key so I need a spare too.

Has anyone tried to use something like:
[h=1]Newest SBB PRO2 Key Programmer Tool V48.88 No Token Limitated Support New Cars[/h]
w w w.ebay.com/itm/192656083131

·
Registered
75 Posts
Well, yesterday i went to the local (dutch) Fiat dealer, and they said they couldnt help me because its a usa car, and they wont service it. Bummer.

After that i went to a locksmith who claimed he could do it, but when i arrived, he was only able to cut the key, and program the ignition (un)lock, not the remote. He forwarded me to an other local locksmith with way more capabilities. We chit-chat, looked if he had a key, and decided to do this tomorrow as it was already after closing time.

Today i went there, and he had the correct key he stated. He looked at the car computer to take a look at the model. (it was a Delfi?)
He cut the key, and connected his programming machine to the ODB2 connector.
Many data came out, only 2 keys were programmed into the car, serials were shown ( i have only one), passcode was read, etcetera. He tried to program the key, but only managed to get the start unlock programmed, not the remote itself. He had several other nifty equepment to read frequency of keys etcetera, but my key apparently didnt give any frequency.
Then, he read my keu, and it was a PCF7946 chip, just like his key.
Mode was Locked Manchester (whatever that means)
Type: HT AG2 CRYPTO WK type 2
The id i wont write down :)
Computer he used was a ZED-FULL Immobiliser Solutions

At the end, he said he needed to figure some things out why it doesnt work, and will call me next week.
In advance to this; is there anyone that might know what to do to program this remote?
I saw several options available, also pre-coding etcetera, wich he did. (guess it doesnt work at all if he didnt...)
he also stated that the other locksmith only copied current keys, and he was able to program keys instead of copying.

Any tips or advices are highly welcome, thank you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts