Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to change rims once I get my 500e. I hate the stock ones.

Any recommendations on some good retro rims? I'd like to go for a classic 500 look.

500madness had some, but they are $500 a rim!

Also, I'd like to change to rims all the same width. Anybody go with narrow tires front and back? I'm going to do the backseat delete and hoping this would allow me to go narrower in the rear.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,701 Posts
If you don't need it, you should delete the rear seat, at least the very heavy backs* but it's not required for same-width wheels all-around. Many on this forum have that.

*6 bolts, I think. Seat bottom is pretty light.

My buddy bought a 500e on which the stock wheels had been rotated front-to-back, so it had narrower wheels on the back, & even that was fine. Others here have done that too.

The wheel pic looks pretty aerodynamic, maybe even better than OEM "sport" trim's open holes. No airflow is needed, since our brakes never get warm.

If you want to retain full city range, watch out for weight, especially if you go bigger than 15". You can't just compensate with a rear seat delete, because that's not rotational mass. Stock wheels without tires are about 17Lb front, 17.5 rear. It makes nearly no difference at steady speed though, if you're mostly doing light-traffic highways. For retro look, narrower wheels & tires are of course lighter, & more aero. You don't need to worry about less grip, since nearly anything will have more than the OEM tires!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks! 500 madness couldn't tell me the weight of those rims. Mopar actually has different colors and they look great!

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,701 Posts
I haven't put a tape-measure on that pic, but those look larger diameter, AND possibly heavier steel, which is of course fine if you don't mind losing some acceleration*, braking*, cornering*, & city range.

*partly if not fully compensated with stickier tires that will probably reduce range a bit more.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,701 Posts
Great!

If those are still overpriced, it will almost certainly widen your options to also consider 4 x 100 bolt pattern.

For that you do need floating cone "wobble" bolts, but they don't actually wobble. The threads are snug. Only the cones slide a bit for self-alignment, then they're rock-solid once tight. I wouldn't have considered them except my track-racing friend said they're fine & he was right: I've had them for several years of periodic tire spinning, sliding around corners, & not slowing down for speedbumps.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,701 Posts
Original wheel offsets are around 30mm front & 35mm rear, but as noted above, they work reversed, so a set of 4 anywhere in that range is generally okay. Mine are 35mm.

Stock width is 5.5" front & 6.5" rear. Mine are 7". I would have preferred a lighter narrower width, since they also allow lighter narrower tires, but everything I found in that width at the time ended up being heavier, due to different design/construction.

Centering ring I.D. is 58mm to fit 500e hubs.

·
Registered
13,146 Posts
Senorgrand, if you really want the 500 Lounge retro wheels. Madness is the only game left in town now. They are $$$$.
mopar, has discounted the wheel designed. Who ever has them, hope they don’t ever damage one. If you want a cheap retro look. You might have to use a heavy steel wheel, with a baby moon hup cap. With beauty rings. I seen that Application on Many Fiats over the years.

·
Registered
13,146 Posts
They might be discontinued, but mopar has them in stock and cheaper than 500 madness. I might go that route as it's about $700 cheaper for a set.
That site I sent you, is a Mopar parts vendor. Saying the wheels were discontinued. Is there another one, that carries those wheels?

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,701 Posts
Who ever has them, hope they don’t ever damage one.
It helps a lot to prevent damage if the rubber sticks out a bit more than the original 500e rears, which easily scrape on curbs. If you want to prevent that, note that "185" or "205" does NOT indicate the exact tire width, so you have to check the specs:
  1. Before buying tires, lay one of the new rims face down on a hard smooth flat floor & measure from the floor to the inside of the lip where the tire bead contacts the rim (generally around 2 to 3 inches).
  2. Take the tire section width spec minus the rim width spec*. Divide that by 2 & subtract the measurement from #1 above.
  3. Check the rim width used for the tire width spec. Add 0.1" for every 1/2" that your rim spec is wider than the tire spec rim. Vice versa if your rims are narrower.
The resulting number is the amount of rubber between your rim & a curb. OEMs are about 0.3" front & 0.1" rear. I ended up with about 0.2" & it has protected my rims so far.

* Measured between the INNER bead lips.

·
Registered
13,146 Posts
I really like you painted wheels, with the baby moon hubcaps, Your electric stripe is nice too. You car looks like a sleeper electric vehicle. All you need, is some vintage white wall tires. I really doubt you’ll notice driving range lost.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts