Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I noticed something quite odd about my 2012 500 today. The reverse lights don't shine until after the car is in motion rather than turn on immediately upon shifting into reverse. I've only just now caught on to this. Does anyone else's car do this? Seems like a safety issue to me. I'll be talking to the dealer tomorrow about it to determine if it's a legitimate issue, but until then I wanted to know if any other if not all Fiats do this. Sorry if some of you think this is just another stupid petty concern post, it just seems strange. I've never owned a car that did that before.

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
Questions like this are never stupid, it always important to understand how your vehicle is suppose to work. I do not know the answer your question. But it's not stupid or petty.

·
Registered
67 Posts
My mom has an automatic 2012 Lounge and I noticed it does the same thing. I never paid attention to my 2013 Abarth, but the same thing does happen on the automatic Lounge. I also thought it was odd but figured its how the car works.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine is an auto as well

My mom has an automatic 2012 Lounge and I noticed it does the same thing. I never paid attention to my 2013 Abarth, but the same thing does happen on the automatic Lounge. I also thought it was odd but figured its how the car works.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I've noticed the "delay", but I have always then reversed. I always thought it was just a delay as I've never put it in reverse and then not moved.
Thunderbolt,

This issue is not something that I have come across. Have you noticed how long the "delay" is?

@Fiatdude, when shifting into reverse and the brake is applied, do the back-up lights remain off as long as you have the brake applied? Have you had a chance to run your concern by the Service Manager at your local Fiat Studio?

Keep us posted,

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Hi Dave, I tested it out last night. If you put your foot on the brakes, then shift into reverse (auto tranny) and just wait, there's about a 1.5 second delay before the reverse lights come on. But (for the OP), you don't have to be moving for the lights to come on, and you don't have to release the brake.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Hi Dave, I tested it out last night. If you put your foot on the brakes, then shift into reverse (auto tranny) and just wait, there's about a 1.5 second delay before the reverse lights come on. But (for the OP), you don't have to be moving for the lights to come on, and you don't have to release the brake.
Thunderbolt,

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear everything is working well. If you have any concerns with the 1.5 second delay, you may discuss it with the Service Dept. at your local Fiat Studio, even request a comparison with other 500's in the lot.

Ciao,

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The lights come on a split second after the accelerator is applied. 99.9% of the time I back into a space hatch first anyway as I prefer to park like that, which I think it took me so long to notice. I haven't gone up to my studio yet. I've been busier than I anticipated lately and I put it on the backburner. Since the car still drives it hasn't been top priority.

I will most certainly post details once I get a hold of my studio

Thunderbolt,

This issue is not something that I have come across. Have you noticed how long the "delay" is?

@Fiatdude, when shifting into reverse and the brake is applied, do the back-up lights remain off as long as you have the brake applied? Have you had a chance to run your concern by the Service Manager at your local Fiat Studio?

Keep us posted,

·
Registered
301 Posts
The lights come on a split second after the accelerator is applied. 99.9% of the time I back into a space hatch first anyway as I prefer to park like that, which I think it took me so long to notice. I haven't gone up to my studio yet. I've been busier than I anticipated lately and I put it on the backburner. Since the car still drives it hasn't been top priority.

I will most certainly post details once I get a hold of my studio
Fiatdude,

Updates are always appreciated. Moving forward, when bringing issues to the dealer's attention it is important to provide any details you notice when the symptom occurs. Examples of specific trends or circumstances help to duplicate the concern for the dealer, which can aid the diagnosis process.

Take Care,

·
Registered
12,656 Posts
My wife backed the 500 out of the garage this morning. The backup lights don't come on till your in motion. Never own a car with that feature. It's true.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Finally went up to my dealer (McKinney) for an oil change and I brought up the light problem while I was there. They were clueless. They said no one has ever reported such an issue and they didn't seem as concerned about it as I am.

in short, they weren't much help.

Fiatdude,

Updates are always appreciated. Moving forward, when bringing issues to the dealer's attention it is important to provide any details you notice when the symptom occurs. Examples of specific trends or circumstances help to duplicate the concern for the dealer, which can aid the diagnosis process.

Take Care,

·
Registered
301 Posts
Finally went up to my dealer (McKinney) for an oil change and I brought up the light problem while I was there. They were clueless. They said no one has ever reported such an issue and they didn't seem as concerned about it as I am.

in short, they weren't much help.
Fiatdude,

I have had a chance to review this with a colleague of mine who specializes in the Fiat 500. The symptom you are describing is a normal characteristic. The message sent between modules to illuminate the white reverse lights will take roughly 1 second. The very slight delay is something to keep in mind when putting your Fiat in reverse, ensure you are well aware of your surroundings and of other drivers.

Take Care,

·
Registered
82 Posts
Also, if you are driving and find a spot to parallel park, you have to be in neutral a few seconds before shifting into reverse. Otherwise, you'll grind the gears. That's fun... Cars honk at me all the time cause I sit there before backing into my spot.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts