Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone happen to read this review by Matt Degen (Orange County Register)? How is it that someone could be so wrong? First of all, when are they (so called auto journalists) going to stop yelping about the 500's back seat and cargo space? We know already! If we wanted bigger back seats and big trunks, we wouldn't have bought (or be considering) a FIAT 500. Do they think we're stupid and can't judge how big things are?

It seems as if some of these writers have preconceived notions about certain cars before even sitting behind the wheel and then complain that they have to adjust the driver's seat when they do get in. Once in, they start thinking about how can they fashion their reviews in mocking tones to satisfy their silly prejudices. I mean don't tell me to buy a MINI over a 500 -- been there, done that. And don't insinuate that the FIAT 500 will have long term reliability problems when MINI ranks 29th out of 33 car brands for initial quality.

Finally, if you say it "rattles like heck", at least tell us what you're talking about -- is it related to vehicle speed, a suspension component, interior rattle (dashboard or whatever)? I don't have any rattles, so I'd like to know.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
The only issue I have is that my windows squeak in their channels. My BMW used to do that too. It stops when the humidity hits certain levels. And stopped completely when I tinted them.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Mine doesn't rattle and I fit in it better than any of my 3 previous MINIs.

I only trust reviews from sources that have the same criteria that I have.
Like Top Gear.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Mine only rattles when the wife leaves a hair clip in the door storage while I am listening to DubStep music on level 35 or higher.

·
Registered
453 Posts
One the way out of town last night with my son, I actually had the stereo off for once. He asked, "is it raining?" and only then did I notice the very minor, quiet little squeaks and ticks of various parts inside the car. I'll probably notice it more now that it's been pointed out to me, but as I rarely drive without the stereo on, I doubt it will ever bother me. Besides, I figured with such a stiff suspension, there's bound to be some sqeaking. I'd expect a Cadillac boat to glide along silently, but not a zoomy little microcompact.

So yeah... reviewers are hyper sensitive and critical. I guess they think that's their special purpose. The stuff about the back seat and cargo is like, meh. My kids fit in the back of mine, and it's only meant to do that for a couple more years anyway. ;-)

·
Registered
175 Posts
The only time I get a rattle is when I am driving with the drivers window open and a wind gust gets inside the car the convertible roof (which is up at the time) rattles a little bit. If I open the passenger window, it stops. Does this happen to anyone else driving a 500C?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Amendment: The rattle/squeaking is really only on bumpy roads. The main road from my neighborhood is pretty patchy. In town today we had smoother roads, and there were no sounds at all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts