Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Autoweek is currently driving out FIAT 500. So far they are having a ball with it. It was due back but they are having a bit of fun so I told them to keep it for the weekend and do whatever tests they want etc..... That is what they are doing. Good news is that their story should publish sooner than say ROAD & TRACK. Next up is Car & Driver. Everyone wants this car to drive so we are excited and flattered about the whole thing. Only drawback is that it hold back some production of pieces that only exist on that car.

ROAD/RACE

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just got this email from Barry at AUTOWEEK. I think this is the most important quote so far......

Hey Rob,

I found time to go run some more accel numbers on the 500, and got a 9.5 second zero-to-60 mph time, which is about 10-percent better than the numbers on stock 500s I've seen from reliable sources (one of them being Inside Line's Chris Walton, whose correction factors are believable). That corresponds neatly with the dyno improvements you quoted, so I'm much happier now.

Thanks,
Barry

ROAD/RACE

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
So I take it the rear sway is one of those parts that are being held up? Any idea when things will be wrapped up and put into production? I am waiting a bit for items to filter on the market so that I can start buying things to make some zoom zoom for my 500, excuse the Mazda reference but I am partial to the Miata still.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Swaybar is a little held up. We have enough data to proceed. The bar seems to be a Must though. Made such a difference on the car. The TIming Controller is also proceeding now. The rear wing lip (for Sports) is not on the table till we get it off the car. Along with the lip for the front.

ROAD/RACE:apimp:

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
I have seen a lip for the front and I like that, sway bar is something I want as well, not 100% on the timing controller, depends on a few specifics, rear spoiler I am indifferent on currently, looking forward to seeing more reviews from these guy with the car as well as products filtering out as time pases, nice work Rob, congrats on what appears to have "tickled many peoples fancy".

·
Registered
343 Posts
Swaybar! That'd make an amazing addition to the shocks.

Seriously, a 9.5 vs. 10.3 or so to 60 mph is negligible - you aren't going to beat a Fit or a Fiesta either way - but handling is this car's forte!

·
Registered
109 Posts
The car with intake and exhaust or with one or the other makes a huge difference than stock. When my wife was stock and mine wasn't, I was like grrrrr this thing doesn't move. Good mods. I like to have more info on the timing controller.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The car with intake and exhaust or with one or the other makes a huge difference than stock. When my wife was stock and mine wasn't, I was like grrrrr this thing doesn't move. Good mods. I like to have more info on the timing controller.

Glad you said that. I have the dyno sheets for these things. Gonna put it up later tonight. I also have a dyno sheet for the timing box alone too. How much proof does one man need.

Dynos from 2 different types of dynos
AFR Charts
Magazine Independent tests
Testimonials from people WITH THE PRODUCT
0-60 comparisions to back up gains

Must be snake oil :)

Oh yea.... Jay Leno. :))

ROAD/RACE

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
Question...I know you have at least a prototype for a rear sway bar but have you looked into anything like the Miata uses that is like Frog Arms or a Butterfly brace? I am uncertain and actually pretty doubtful either would be needed but figured I might ask. Frog Arms go under the front fenders and tie the car together and the Butterfly installs under the tranny but would be intended to tie the two sides of the frame together to provide a more rigid/sturdy structure.

Frog Arms
http://www.bossfrog.biz/Miata_Performance.html

Butterfly Brace
http://www.flyinmiata.com/index.php?stocknumber=13-69920

·
Registered
475 Posts
Rob,
Do you have any dyno numbers on an autotrans?
Just the intake and also intake/exhaust combo. I have a sport.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We put turbo on the back burner because of other projects and Abarth coming. We want to know more info before we proceed further. That said we are working hard on parts and we have lots of dynos just none on AUTOs. That said , half of our customers I know are auto guys and they are reporting back a favorable review. Thanks

ROAD/RACE

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You will be fine with AUTO. Timing Controller might be even more effective on the AUTO. We have seen that with other models we did this for so it moght be the same with the FIAT 500.

ROAD/RACE

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This article should be out soon. Keep your eyes open for it. Any week now before SEMA.

ROAD/RACE

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Talked to AUTOWEEK's Barry Winfield today. He says the article should be in one of the next 3 issues. So if you care, lookout for it soon and buy an issue of AUTOWEEK. Can't wait to see it.

ROAD/RACE

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Anyone see this weeks issue yet? IS there anything? It is gonna be in this one or the next.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Autoweek- Nov. 14th issue. PAGE 50. Someone who has it, please it in for me. That would be appreciated. Thanks

ROAD/RACE

1 - 20 of 28 Posts