Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doing a survey. We worked with STOPTECH to develop new brakes for this car. They would be a 4 piston (caliper) setup and used large rotors, drilled, slotted or drilled an slotted. All the measuring and engineering (math) is done but they will not produce the sets unless we can provide them with relative proof of interest.

Are people interested in proper Big Brake Kit for the 500. Brakes are often overlooked. I think they are important part of building a proper car. Meantime, we will have other alternatives in stock diameters like we run on our car. We have performance pads and slotted rotors. Those will be put up on the site asap.

But this thread is about Proper BBK! STOPTECH really is every bit as good as Brembo, and cost will be less than anything Brembo can put out. Lets talk in this thread!

ROAD/RACE

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Brakes are often overlooked but are a key aspect to building a track worthy car. Id definetly be down for a set!

·
Registered
6 Posts
sure but price always drives interest, especially in a street driven car...reliability, maintenance cost, wear, etc also drive interest...is it for the daily, doubt it...is it for the enthusiast, probably...cost??????...i'd be game for a set if i knew i could afford them...also, what size diameter rotors?...front and rear?...will it require bigger wheels?...what about weight?...

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A front kit will likely be about $2000. Even though this is a small car, it will have all the components (including size) of a kit for say a S2000 Honda. Big 4 piston calipers, 2 piece, flaoting rotors, braided steel lines and a good proper set of pads that are performance grade, not quite race. Still it will compare with most anything out there.

ROAD/RACE

·
Registered
6 Posts
Jeez. $2k??? Thats mighty steep for anything short of race only. The car doesnt have 400hp to slow from 150mph roll. Maybe a big 2 piston with Hawk or Green Stuff pads with stainless lines and good DOT brake fluid. Price it about $1k-1200 and you might have a hot seller.

No offense by any of that by any means. Its just $2k is high for a small car like this with really no big power adders.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Look at their prices. THis is about what any good kit costs. Not my prices either, it is theirs. IT is race quality by the way. The only that would not be full race grade would be the pads. Again, look at prices for any Honda with 330mm rotors and 2 piece (full floating rotor) 4 piston caliper. Anyways, this is certainly not for everyone. This is why you are seeing proper brake upgrades from us for a fraction of that price. We run them on our car and I am estimating a good 10-20% improvement on stopping distances etc.... That is not just performance, it is safety and the difference between a collision or hitting someone and not. Anyways don't kill the messenger for sure guys. BBKs, whether for a 500 or Honda CRV, are going to cost about the same since they come with the same parts, quality, and even about the same size components.

ROAD/RACE

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No more interest in these huh?

ROAD/RACE

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
$2000 sounds about right for a BBK. I'm just wondering, this car is already kinda "squidgy" under hard braking. How would the car behave with even more braking force?

Also, I can see a kit like this being more appealing to future Abarth owners. Doesn't seem like something our 100hp cars really need right now giving the limited availability of aftermarket performance parts.

Reactions: Triumph

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am sure Stoptech will make DAM sure the there is balance to the braking system. They go to unbelievable lengths to insure things are balanced. Piston diameters, placement, etc..... makes for proper stopping power but with modulation as a key thing to proper brakes. Feel, feel, and feel.

ROAD/RACE

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
I was looking around wondering why I wasn't yet seeing any big brake upgrades, not on my immediate "to-do" list but certainly something of interest to me, I'll be checking your site regularly for new products as it is one of only a few I have found I really like and having you here as a member along side members makes it nice for everyone.

(Just noticed you close at 5pm, 8pm my time, I do have a few thoughts and questions and may ring you sometime close to 4pm your time later this week if time permits.)

·
Registered
71 Posts
I think the idea of this is great, but ambitious. At the moment, I think the target market that's buying the 500 isn't going to spend that sort of money on their standard car, especially when it's making a whopping 80whp.

If you really want to get serious about this idea, I suggest you mirror what's become popular with the VW/Audi (Even Volvo!) crowd and utilize what's out there...In this case, four-piston calipers from Porsche/Brembo. A very popular conversion is to use calipers from a Boxster or Boxster S/996 Carrera and with the use of adapters along with a set of custom rotors you've got a less expensive alternative to the big brake kit...While, technically, the performance will probably never be to the level of a custom built, brake kit from Brembo/Stoptech/etc, with the right development, it would be a huge improvement for owners seeking less brake fade and better, more solid brake pedal feel.

·
Registered
707 Posts
^^ that sounds like a great idea, but who would take the time to test that out and even then, to source those parts might not be that inexpensive as some may think. Brembo and some other brake manufacturers are offering kits now. they aren't too outrageously priced.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Easier said than done but I may do it. Point is that STOPTECH wants to know if people want this. If so they will do it. If not then we will do something else soon. Only 24 hours in a day so we will do things in an order we think people want it.

ROAD/RACE

·
Registered
707 Posts
Easier said than done but I may do it. Point is that STOPTECH wants to know if people want this. If so they will do it. If not then we will do something else soon. Only 24 hours in a day so we will do things in an order we think people want it.

ROAD/RACE

I think it comes down to pricing. I think a few of us are still looking for performance mods to make it go faster before we want to make it stop faster.

I for one would like a balance of both.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm sure it's easier said than done, but could be a viable alternative.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-Quattro-1.8T/Braking/ECS_Stage_2/ES1188/

The choice of rotors is going to be the kicker...The nice thing about some of the Audis is that you can use rotors from some of the larger cars, without modification. I'm not sure if there's an option like this for the 500, which would mean the production of a larger rotor, which would more than likely destroy any cost benefit.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i have someone working on it but seeing that the FIAT is kinda unique, it may be a bit of a challenge. That said, I will still work on it.

ROAD/RACE

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Gonna bump this thread for all.

ROAD/RACE

1 - 20 of 21 Posts