Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Road Race Corsa intake review

Just wanted to post a review for all you guys, I know there has been a lot of nay sayers regarding this short ram intake. Being a believer that air temp isnt the main factor to gains from an intake, I bought this short ram intake from Rob at road race. I got it a couple days ago, installed it, and here are my thoughts.

Installation was very straight forward, took me all of 5 minutes. The fitment was perfect, everything lined up as it should. No fiddling with rad hoses, wires etc was needed.

The intake is painted red you can tell that the quality is there, and it looks great. I love the fact that it comes with a K&N filter, keeping junk out of the engine is very important and I like knowing I have one of the best filters on the market, compared to foam filters which arent nearly as good.

I pulled out of my driveway, put it into first, and gave about half throttle on the gas and I immediatley felt the difference. Throttle response is greatly increased, the 5 WHP this claims to make can definetley be felt throughout the power band.

Having used short ram intakes before, I knew there would be a power gain, so as pleased as I was with that, I wasnt totally surprised.
What DID surprise me however, is the sound this thing makes. It is without a doubt the best sounding short ram I have ever heard by FAR. Its throaty and loud, and along with my custom exhaust, the car sounds amazing.

For those who dont want to worry about sucking water into their engine and want an intake that works great for a decent price then id suggest giving rob a call at Road Race, for all the slag he has taken on this board, he actually is a good guy and is excited about the Fiat 500 just like all of us.

Here is a quick video ( dont like looking like a young punk revving the **** out of a car in our quiet neighbourhood!) and a couple of pictures.

http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b64/Domdil/?action=view&current=IMG_0765.mp4

·
Registered
393 Posts
An aftermarket intake is probably one of the best things you can do to your car. Almost all my cars had a short ram air intake and I loved the difference. Defiantly going to get a short ram intake for the 500 when I get one.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Rob from Road/Race...when it comes to performance, this is the guy you want to ask. Look at his biography and history. Many of his cars made it to magazines. Helped developed Pike Peaks rally cars? Ah yeah, he knows about performance. Can't wait to get my intake as well...

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Thanks for the props. Honestly, 25+ years of racing (mostly on shoe string budget) makes us practical guys that can and do, do it all for ourselves. We are not resellers, so much, we MAKE parts for our cars and specialize on them until we become expert. I feel like the 4 different intakes we made and 2 days on the dyno at least makes us expert on FIAT 500, ECU, engine characteristics, intake and exhaust flow and with that make something good better. These intakes are made 10 at a time with love in our shop. I think we really hit a Home Run with this one. Dynos back that up too. Thanks

ROAD/RACE

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Thanks for the props. Honestly, 25+ years of racing (mostly on shoe string budget) makes us practical guys that can and do, do it all for ourselves. We are not resellers, so much, we MAKE parts for our cars and specialize on them until we become expert. I feel like the 4 different intakes we made and 2 days on the dyno at least makes us expert on FIAT 500, ECU, engine characteristics, intake and exhaust flow and with that make something good better. These intakes are made 10 at a time with love in our shop. I think we really hit a Home Run with this one. Dynos back that up too. Thanks

ROAD/RACE
Question for Rob, Why didn't you try to make the MOPAR SRI design? it even utilizes the oem intake ducts to feed the cone outside air.

·
Registered
27 Posts

ROAD/RACE
Will it work with strut brace? In other words can you use both?

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'd have to agree with RRM's experience. I've been dealing with Road/Race since I bought a very rare and finicky Mazda 323 GTX 4WD Turbo back in the mid 1990's, a car no one else would touch. Even then, the cars they were building were nothing short of impressive: all-out podium placing Eclipse and 323 rally cars.

Guys, don't just look at a picture of the intake and assume that it is a thrown-together job without thought. Yes, your first reaction is to think that it's not sucking "cold" air, but think for a minute: "cold air intake" are the first words learned by any 16-year-old kid who just bought his first Civic. After building successful race cars for decades, do you think RRM didn't think of this? After doing extensive R&D, they found that there's more to gains from intake than just air temperature. Piping length IS very important. Have you ever sucked a drink through a very long straw? Notice the difference in resistance compared to a normal straw? Also important is decreasing radius throughout the intake to maintain air pressure and therefore flow speed.

RRM found something that works and goes against the grain of common beliefs. It takes confidence to develop a product like that. RRM could've simply designed another cold air intake to make everyone happy and no one would've known a thing. Some of us might not like the way Rob interacts on this forum but that does not take away from RRM's knowledge and success.

Just my $0.02 and trying to give credit where it is due :)

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Question for Rob, Why didn't you try to make the MOPAR SRI design? it even utilizes the oem intake ducts to feed the cone outside air.
the lentgh of the piping is longer and bends around the engine so in my opinion road races is a better design, shorter piping and a more direct route from the filter to the engine. Honestly this intake is extremely well built and has made our lovable 500's even that much more fun to drive.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I will make a copy of that to see if it works better. This one looks great and I see potential in it for sure. Meantime, it might be a bit long but maybe not. I know ours works great though. Make sure you look at the AFRs on our dyno too. That is another validating measurement of it effectiveness.

ROAD/RACE

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I will make a copy of that to see if it works better. This one looks great and I see potential in it for sure. Meantime, it might be a bit long but maybe not. I know ours works great though. Make sure you look at the AFRs on our dyno too. That is another validating measurement of it effectiveness.

ROAD/RACE
Rob, you're a gentleman. Thank you for listening to you future clients. And hey you never know if it works better and priced well, you'll have the best selling SRI on the market "looks and performance". and i'll be the first inline to put the RRM sticker on my car :)

Keep us updated and thanks again for your time and effort.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Thanks for that. We will be into FIAT for the long term as we have done with other cars and ultimately the companies that make them. We have more H.P. on the way too. Can't believe how fast our development program is going! Faster than anyone for sure.

Thanks again.

ROAD/RACE

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey it's tough to say since no one seems to know how far down that pipe goes. If it sits low behind the bumper then I'd stick with robs if you like in
A climate that gets rain!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm reverting back to stock. My Road Race Intake is for sale $220 shipped OBO in perfect clean conditions. Im buying the Abarth when it comes out.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Hey it's tough to say since no one seems to know how far down that pipe goes. If it sits low behind the bumper then I'd stick with robs if you like in
A climate that gets rain!
Ours is going to be the safest bet for guys that drive in any bad weather during the year. Rain or Snow, this intake is protected quite well.

ROAD/RACE

1 - 20 of 24 Posts