Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I received the RR ECU timing controller last night, and promptly installed it. It is truly plug-and-play, it only took me about 10 minutes to get it installed, but someone with smaller hands could do it quicker. Also, taking the engine cover off would help. You just plug it into the MAF and you are done.

That night I just drove the car around the block, I noticed a stronger pull in normal mode from the start, but not enough for me to prefer it over sport.

Tonight, I was able to get more driving time in, including on the highway. There is definitely a noticeable increase in power through the rev range. I found myself getting into those extra-legal speeds on the highway much quicker, and with less effort than before.

I will keep you updated as I am able to get more drive time, including MPG updates. For reference, my car is a completely stock (excluding this) 5 speed. Let me know of any questions you guys have and I will do my best to answer them while I have the unit.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
Do offer a comparison with and without the Sport button in relation to the added gains from the device when time permits. Speak on the MPG changes and if you notice anything with how it shifts now compared to before although I think Rob stated it would only address the timing and adjust it by about 4 degrees, not sure anything else it might now do so anything you see and feel that differs I am interested in hearing about, thanks.

·
Registered
707 Posts
How does this mod differ from the sprint booster from 500 Madness?
I do not believe these are the same. The Sprint Booster product is made to eliminate any lag for vehicles with drive by wire feature, which i do not know if it adds HP/TQ I may be wrong, it just untaps the power without lag. The ECU module from RRM adds HP/TQ...

someone chime in and correct my opinion on this.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Sprint booster eliminates the lag on the throttle making the throttle response faster. No hp gains. The RRM timing product retards the car 3-4 degrees increasing in hp&tq. Love to hear more updates though...

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I have now put on about 540 miles with the ECU timing module and wanted to report back on my findings.

First things first, would I buy it? Emphatically yes! For anyone thinking of modding their car, for anyone who wants to get the most out of the 500, this is the definition of grabbing the low-hanging fruit in terms of performance increases. Simple to install (I mentioned in the first post), simple to remove (I'll elaborate), and use-able results.

I mentioned before, and in other posts, that I am not a fan of non-sport mode. But there were requests to see what it drives like, so I sucked it up and drove around with sport off on my morning commute, and around town. I must say, I was pleasantly surprised. I noticed the power coming on sooner, and I was able to shift better. (This is probably just me, but I could never make my shifts smooth in normal mode. However, once I installed this, I was able to complete it just like in sport mode.)

So this weekend I took a road trip out to State College, PA. It is about a 3 hour drive each way with a lot of highway driving. While out on the interstate, I found that the car now accelerated more briskly from the 70 to 85 range while passing while in 5th gear.

But of course, how much of this is in my head? So when I came home, I unplugged the device to get back to baseline. It was very easy to uninstall, just unplug the device and you are good to go. Literally a 5-10 minute process, if that. I just drove the car around town, and it just felt like something was missing. The loss was entirely noticeable, and the car felt neutered.

I'll tell you once thing, I am going to miss this once Rob asks for it back.

As for MPG, over 540 miles I have consumed 15.58 gallons for an average of around 34.7 MPG. Prior to installing the device, I was averaging around 34 MPG, so there was not a significant change one way or the other. Of course, this is a smaller sample size, so take it for what it is.

Please let me know if you have any other questions, or what me to elaborate.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Hello, Do you think with ~540 miles that your driving style has been adapted to the ECU? Also is your 500 a 5MT or 6AT?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Phatt, I am not sure what you mean by the first part. Are you asking if I have changed my driving style based on the new power? If so, then yes a little. I definitely enjoy revving the car in 2nd more than before. If not, please let me know and I will do my best to answer.

I have the 5-speed Sport model, completely stock except for the control module.

·
Registered
707 Posts
^^ hi BlueEr03, yeah just thought if you had a 6AT, the computer would need some time to adapt to your driving style. But it seems like it's not the case. Sounds promising. can't wait for it to release.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Remember sport mode just changes the FLy by wire characteristics of the Throttle body. IT adds NO power at all. Our box adds power for sure and one more tester and it will be in production. Meantime, we have had some real pro testers too. Barry WInfield of AUTOWEEK and Aaron RObinson of CAR & DRIVER. Those guys are believers! What more do you want. The dyno is up. Let me link it here.

Fiat 500 STOCKvs TC-86HP by ROCKHARD37, on Flickr

ROAD/RACE

·
Registered
343 Posts
I didn't know Barry Winfield wasn't with C&D any longer! Oh well, Csaba Csere really seems to have run that mag to the ground, anyway.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
No runs with a Cold Air. Honestly, We tried it and they dynoed lower and made all the wrong power. We do not have sheets for it anymore but this ECU will work with or without an intake. It attacks timing so it is going to complement any sort of intake.

ROAD/RACE

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
No runs with a Cold Air. Honestly, We tried it and they dynoed lower and made all the wrong power. We do not have sheets for it anymore but this ECU will work with or without an intake. It attacks timing so it is going to complement any sort of intake.

ROAD/RACE
So the ECU works best without your intake?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts