Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. Today I installed the RRM intake...installation was a breeze and fast. I disconnected the battery and within 15 minutes I was done. Throttle response was instant! The intake made a huge difference in performance. I drove 50+ miles playing around trying out the intake. Driving the Fiat now is like driving a whole new car. Keep in mind, it was 96 humid degrees in Georgia today. Very hot! The intake performed great even with all the heat. The hp gain is very linear all the way to redline. The intake sound is amazing. Not too loud, but just right. It doesn't sound like a Honda intake, I really can't explain it, but sounds good. I was skeptical about the intake sucking hot air and losing performance. I parked and lifted the hood and was surprise the intake wasn't very hot. I closed the hood and sat there idling for a few minutes to let the engine compartment to get hot and see how the intake did when hot. Mind you the ambient heat index was 102F. I took off for another test drive. I'm not a dyno, but the performance felt the same. Great response, great increase over stock. I'm 100% happy with the intake. I suggest you guys get one. You won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I have one too and it really is a great mod for the 500, I have put about 150 miles on mine and it makes our car even more fun to drive. Those who bash it shouldnt until they try it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, I killed my wife on 3rd gear roll-on today. She has a 500C with a panel Competizione Filter (nice filter btw). She's a **** good driver too. Both cars 5spd. We did 3 pulls shifting at 6K. We hovered at 3K and went. I pulled one car lentgh by the time I was half way into 4th gear. Even before shifting to 4th, my car had almost 1/2 a car infront. We swapped cars. I drove her's. Same thing. She shifts slower than me, so she didn't pull as much on 4th, though she was still ahead (in my car) Intake works. Outside temp was 98F.
She now wants an intake too for her car. We are saving up for one.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Good news is the car will get quicker over the first 100 miles. Glad you are impressed. We were too and so was FIAT CORP product planner that drove the car. He was mazed by acceleration, handling and even braking. Before I told him about brake mods he already commented on it like, "Did you do something...." We do not have many products but the ones we have are solid. Dynos, AFRs, and testimonials..... Hum..... That does it for most people. Thanks though.

ROAD/RACE

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've put 150 miles on the fiat since the intake, and car feels stronger with time. I've added a nice heat shield to the filter as well. Is not getting cold air, but at least direct heat is somewhat being reflected. Note, that performance wasn't affected due to heat that I could feel. But I added this heatshield as a +. I can't post pics since my computer is down and this post reply is done via iPhone. I emailed Rob from RRM pics. Maybe he can post for me. If not, send me your email and I'll email pics.

See ya.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Having the intake far away from the exhaust manifold and the fact that this is not making "turbo manifold type heat" I am not surprised by the fact that the shield seems to be a neutral type add on. With that you did a very nice job on it though. As for the car getting stronger and stronger over miles, we have experienced this numerous times before and I concur that it gets faster up to 200 miles on the intake. It is the ECU learning to maximize the extra air flow tihout going outside the parameters the car should see regarding fuel trims and operations of the car in open loop. In other words, too big of an intake is not good either. Things need to be "JUST RIGHT!"

If you are happy I am happy. Thanks for the update.

ROAD/RACE

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well its time to chime in and comment on Road Race intake and exhaust. Received both and they are now installed. Intake seems to improve response and is not noisy (was my concern) has a nice growel to it, the exhaust as well not boomey or droan at all (also a real concern). The exhaust tips look great and complement the rear of the car very well, doesn't look like a drain pipe exiting the rear!

Its too early to tell how the car's performanace will improve as I only have about 12kms on the parts. I have no doubt this is going to be fun.

BTW the red colour of the intake complements the red strut brace I also have.

If members decide to go this route you will not be disappointed (I am not being endorsed to say this)

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Well its time to chime in and comment on Road Race intake and exhaust. Received both and they are now installed. Intake seems to improve response and is not noisy (was my concern) has a nice growel to it, the exhaust as well not boomey or droan at all (also a real concern). The exhaust tips look great and complement the rear of the car very well, doesn't look like a drain pipe exiting the rear!

Its too early to tell how the car's performanace will improve as I only have about 12kms on the parts. I have no doubt this is going to be fun.

BTW the red colour of the intake complements the red strut brace I also have.

If members decide to go this route you will not be disappointed (I am not being endorsed to say this)

Sounds great. Glad all are happy. Really means a lot to us. Business is business and money is money but it is stuff like this we hear that really recharges our batteries and makes us want to do more and more for the FIAT community. Thanks guys. More to come.

ROAD/RACE

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I think I want to get one of these for my 500 when it comes in. Does anyone know how this affects the warranty?
There is a law against dealerships refusing warranty unless they can prove your modification was the reason. And plus it takes only about 5 minutes to swap back and forth so if you ever needed warranty work just put the intake back to stock to be safe

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
There is a law against dealerships refusing warranty unless they can prove your modification was the reason. And plus it takes only about 5 minutes to swap back and forth so if you ever needed warranty work just put the intake back to stock to be safe

That is correct. It is call Moss vs. Magnussen Law. You will be fine with regards to warranty. We do have a couple in stock. If not we are building another batch, now. We are also getting ready to build more exhausts but I know we have some left.

Fiat 500 exhaust- Road Race Motorsports by ROCKHARD37, on Flickr

We make them ourselves so we do not have to wait for a shipment that say...... comes on a ship. :)

ROAD/RACE

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.