Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GOOD NEW! Bilstein will be picking up our car Monday morning to complete the engineering for the US Spec Fiat 500 coilovers. Since we have been running (installed) Bilstein coilovers since May of 2011, Bilstein will be building off of our successfully engineered conversion. Because of that, Bilstein promises that we will have kits available for sale in a matter of weeks. The spring and shock settings have been used for years in Europe, and truly fine tuned. Although there are many coilover options out there, none of them have the lineage that Bilstein has with the Fiat 500. It is very easy to put an Italian name on products in an attempt to appeal to all of us 500 owners. We have chosen to collaborate with Bilstein only due to the fact that we are sure the results will be in the benefit of the customer. We look forward to hearing the results from Bilstein, and we will keep everyone posted! Continue to pop in for updates.

Bilstein Coilovers FIAT 500 by ROCKHARD37, on Flickr

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Still curious what price point these will be hitting, look nice and I love the color being blue even if it isn't the same blue as my 500.
They will be more. Because they're the best. Can't wait to get these on my car, and my car on scales to balance her

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
YIPPEEE!!!!!!!!! I can't wait!
You're going to love them!

Any estimates on droppage ability?
I cannot be too specific on the actual numbers, but I will say that you will have the proper valving within that adjustable range. You will not be able to lay your 500 on the ground with these coilovers. Instead, you will have an adjustable range that will look good and not ruin the suspension geometry of the car. I have had the opportunity to do some daily and spirited driving with the Bilstein's since we've had them on the car, and I honestly would not go any other way. They are comfortable on the 5 and 10 freeway in Los Angeles (if we have anyone from SoCal you know what I'm talking about), and it responds well in turns. I am no where close to Rob's (ROCK) level of driving and he reminded me of the fact on a trip back from Cars and Coffee in Irvine. But the thing I really enjoy about this car on a proper set of dampers is that you do not need to be a professional driver to enjoy every aspect of them. If you are looking for a properly built coilover that offers great valving, proven reliability, top notch materials/engineering, etc. then these coilovers will be for you. Bilstein is the type of company that we want in our corner, and I'm sure you will all embrace them well!

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
These shock/springs are truely the best. Product Engineer picked up the car from us today. We will see something soon. They really just need to copy our stuff but I am sure they will put a twist on it. The news will come soon. This kit has plenty of drop. Look at our car and you will it is quite enough to be a track drivable car and still have good manners on the street, including a more than decent ride. We will sell them with some extra instructions for the best setup, and our alignment tricks etc... that go with it. There are some helpful setup things to do that will make these work even better than what the factory setting. Anyone buying them can get the setup details from me when the time comes. Just give us the details of how you drive, what tires and wheels you run and other details and we will tailor the setup for you , just as we would a race car, even if you have a street only usage planned for your 500.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Brandon, was the RRM car in Rancho Bernardo this week? I looked up and thought I saw the car go ripping past me :) I was in our white 500c and honked. The car looked great.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No prices yet mentioned but if I had to guess I'd say around $1,500 or more possibly...just a guess though.
We are currently waiting for Rob's (ROCK500) return and we should have some more details on pricing, availability, etc. We are equally excited!

Brandon, was the RRM car in Rancho Bernardo this week? I looked up and thought I saw the car go ripping past me :) I was in our white 500c and honked. The car looked great.
WOW, good eye! Yes, our RRM 500 was with Bilstein in the San Diego area for the finishing touches on the coilover kit. Bilstein' engineers personally picked it up this past week and drove it down there. Thanks for the compliment, the car really does still turn heads in its stripped down form.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Update on the Bilstein front.....

Bilstein actually dropped our car a little bit and we must say....the car looks extremely nice and handles quite well with it's (even) lowered stance. The product engineers of Bilstein are confident that we've hit this nail on the head.

One member here named Chris (i forget his screename here) took a ride with me in our SEMA Fiat and the car handled like a champ. We are very excited about the development. Stay tuned....

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
This is Rob. I am still home recovering but I got to see the FIAT now that Bilstein finished the U.S. Spec. Suspension. For the record they remade our mounts and adjusted the suspension to make sure we get maximum performance out of the ,soon to be released, kit.

For the record they were able to change the range in which the coilovers operate. We still have maximum travel from the set up but it now can be installed at a lower ride height of operation. For example, with full travel of the shock, now we can be 2 inches to stock ride height. Before we were only working from 1 inch lower to stock or a + 1/2 inch. This setup has gained performance from this without hurting the ride. I will slowly start getting involved in things as my doctor sees fit but I will talk with their engineers this week and give more details. If you are going coilover, this is the kit to hold out for. It will be a short time from here. The car looks better than before, handles better, and still has the same good ride qualities. I consider this a HOME RUN for FIAT 500 community. I will keep all posted.

They loved the setup we gave them to start from but now all is approved by the Parent engineers in Germany so you can rest assured that this is the best and only way to go!

ROAD/RACE

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Bilstein called today. I missed the call but it seems like it is progressing.
ROAD/RACE

1 - 20 of 29 Posts