Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 500 is really distorting me.

I have never been in a car were you have to reach forward and use your right hand (if you are a driver) to roll down the windows. Every time I am in the car, I always instinctively try to find it on the door panel.

Well, I was in my husband's car and was about to roll down the windows and behold, I was reaching toward the shifter instead of the door panel.

Habits are hard to break I suppose.

·
Registered
453 Posts
It is strange, but I like it. It allows the passenger to roll up/down both windows. It also saves on redundant buttons, which would be required if on the doors, to allow the driver to put down the passenger window while driving. I would love auto-up as well, but auto-open and fully auto sunroof is good enough.

Most of my problem moving between cars is that my FIAT is my only stick, so when I drive the autos, I keep trying to put the clutch in before I start the car. :)

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
thankfully, 8 years of owning an E46 BMW has eased my transition to weird window switch placement. At least with the Fiat, the windows don't snap at the regulator like they did with the BMW. All 4 windows at various times.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
im a big fan of auto down, i even wish there was an auto up since every time before i get out of the car i have to hod both up. the only annoyance is that its really hard if you wanna open the window just a little, my GTI you felt a click for the auto down, with the fiat nothin!

·
Registered
145 Posts
im a big fan of auto down, i even wish there was an auto up since every time before i get out of the car i have to hod both up. the only annoyance is that its really hard if you wanna open the window just a little, my GTI you felt a click for the auto down, with the fiat nothin!
Auto-Up is against the law, at least in the US. Too many idiots getting heads and arms stuck in the window.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
My BMW had auto up.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
My dad has been driving BMWs for years, I'm semi used to it. The one thing I hate though is that you can't put up both windows at the same time while driving. Just one at a time. That is, unless you have freakishly huge hands.

·
Registered
13,454 Posts
That's not so bad. I have a car with the ignition key in the middle of the shifter console.
Everytime I get in to a different car, I go for that. I'm very use to the window switches now.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Auto-Up is against the law, at least in the US. Too many idiots getting heads and arms stuck in the window.
No, its not.

My brand new 2011 Mazda RX-8 has auto up on both windows.
My '98 Porsche Boxster had it on both windows.
My '07 Nissan Altima had it on the drivers window, and the upper trims had it on both front windows.

Your impression is really, really wrong on this topic.

In fact, its required by law that all windows have an anti-pinch feature in them. If in the process of rolling up the window, if it hits a resistance before its fully up, it has to automatically roll itself back down. That's the functionality to try to keep people from hurting themselves.

BC.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Thanks BC, good to know. Seems that the law in question requires that any vehicle equipped with auto-up windows must also have the safety feature.

Now, you know I'm going to try to close my arm in the window of my 500 to see if a car without auto-up still has the safety feature. :)

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
I used to have a 06 MINI and it has the same window switch by the shifter separated on each end idea, it probably gets it from the BMW, at first it was weird but i also like the centralized switch idea, everything in one place. But i definitely got used to the "hang loose" gesture for my Windows. BTW i had a '99 Toyota Rav4 that had auto up and down windows so its not Illegal, but i always hear people talk about the fear of people getting caught in it as the reason not every car has that. I think its more a cost issue for the car maker.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts