Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little background: 63 years and in car sales. Wife & I have been looking for a play toy, something fun & frivolous, and relatively easier to maintain than the muscle cars and Corvair's of our past weekend cruisers. She was looking at Beetle ragtops and Miata's, and they just did nothing for me. So all that being said, I'm driving 300+ miles tomorrow to pick up a 2013 500c Lounge on Monday; 1-owner, all the options, and with 18k miles on the clock. This will be an Easter - Thanksgiving pleasure driver only for us, and will be stored during our harsh Midwest winters.

I had the opportunity a few months ago to drive a 500 Lounge sans ragtop, and was rather impressed with the spaciousness of the cabin and the handling in Sport mode. Also drove a POP, much less comfortable and fun IMHO. But in doing my research, oh my, the reviews...

It appears that everyone that does not own one, hates these cars. I've already been castigated and had my masculinity challenged for even considering this purchase. Thankfully at my advanced age, I'm rather secure in my own skin...lol. But the deciding factor was that everyone that does own one, sincerely seems to be an enthusiast and that was enough for me.

So now the story begins. I'll provide updates from time-to-time, and I've appreciated the information provided by the other posters here. Blessings!

·
Registered
923 Posts
Congratulations on your new car. I think you put your finger right on the key. The 500 is not quite like any other car around and I think that upsets/unnerves reviewers. I think your description, fun & frivolous, pretty much sums up the car. I think, in its way, it's much like the 60's British cars. It doesn't matter if others think them impractical or maintenance is a bit higher... it's simply a unique car you'll remember.

I think with a bit of care, you'll have a long and enjoyable time together. Remember to change the oil at 5K miles (once or twice a year), put some gas stabilizer in the tank, a battery minder and a sheet over it for storage, and lube the top's rails yearly, and she'll be a great car. I bought Giuseppe (an inside joke) in December, 3 days after I announced I was retiring. For me, he's the perfect motoring experience, whether exploring twisty back roads or finding an out of the way restaurant.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congratulations on your new car. I think you put your finger right on the key. The 500 is not quite like any other car around and I think that upsets/unnerves reviewers. I think your description, fun & frivolous, pretty much sums up the car. I think, in its way, it's much like the 60's British cars. It doesn't matter if others think them impractical or maintenance is a bit higher... it's simply a unique car you'll remember.

I think with a bit of care, you'll have a long and enjoyable time together. Remember to change the oil at 5K miles (once or twice a year), put some gas stabilizer in the tank, a battery minder and a sheet over it for storage, and lube the top's rails yearly, and she'll be a great car. I bought Giuseppe (an inside joke) in December, 3 days after I announced I was retiring. For me, he's the perfect motoring experience, whether exploring twisty back roads or finding an out of the way restaurant.

Indeed; LOF's will be @ 4k (basically once annually for this), big fan of Sta-bil for anything parked, and a cover already ordered. Probably not a tender though, as I usually will turn it over and let it run for a bit every couple of weeks. Research has already agreed with you on the rails, and also I've noted new sparkies e/30k seem to be the norm. Thanks for your input; greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
923 Posts
I think the 30K is for Abarth models, but certainly can't hurt. That might be every 3 or 4 years in your car. While you have it apart, you might want to pull the oil separator and replace the oil ring, rinse out the box, and check the PVC valve. It is apart... another 20 minute's work. The new Mopar O-ring is an improvement... and the box collects small amounts of oil.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Indeed; LOF's will be @ 4k (basically once annually for this), big fan of Sta-bil for anything parked, and a cover already ordered. Probably not a tender though, as I usually will turn it over and let it run for a bit every couple of weeks. Research has already agreed with you on the rails, and also I've noted new sparkies e/30k seem to be the norm. Thanks for your input; greatly appreciated!
It's a weekender so I average around 500milles/yr on my Cabrio. I keep the proper ratio of Stabil 360 in it year round as I rarely go through more than a Tank Full in a rolling year. Also keep it hooked up to a CTEK 4.3 Test & Charge at all times when home. I try to get it out for a 20-30 Minute drive every week or so

Even though I also use 303 Fabric Top Cleaner and Protectant, I use a SILA Dome Cover and CarPro Wheel Covers on all 4 Wheels. I use Custom Coverking Evolution All-Weather over all of it.

I can't speak highly enough of the convenience of the SILA Dome Cover, it should come standard with Cabrios and 500C's. I even use it on those occasions where I drive the Cabrio to work. Saves the Top from a UV beating, Bird Droppings, and general dust/pollen getting matted into the top

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good info. Love that cover; I already ordered a full custom cover w/mirror pockets, etc. as it will be garage kept, but that looks great for when traveling.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A little background: 63 years and in car sales. Wife & I have been looking for a play toy, something fun & frivolous, and relatively easier to maintain than the muscle cars and Corvair's of our past weekend cruisers. She was looking at Beetle ragtops and Miata's, and they just did nothing for me. So all that being said, I'm driving 300+ miles tomorrow to pick up a 2013 500c Lounge on Monday; 1-owner, all the options, and with 18k miles on the clock. This will be an Easter - Thanksgiving pleasure driver only for us, and will be stored during our harsh Midwest winters.

I had the opportunity a few months ago to drive a 500 Lounge sans ragtop, and was rather impressed with the spaciousness of the cabin and the handling in Sport mode. Also drove a POP, much less comfortable and fun IMHO. But in doing my research, oh my, the reviews...

It appears that everyone that does not own one, hates these cars. I've already been castigated and had my masculinity challenged for even considering this purchase. Thankfully at my advanced age, I'm rather secure in my own skin...lol. But the deciding factor was that everyone that does own one, sincerely seems to be an enthusiast and that was enough for me.

So now the story begins. I'll provide updates from time-to-time, and I've appreciated the information provided by the other posters here. Blessings!
Just got it home today; a 320 mile ride. Comfortable on the Interstates, but it really shines on the two-lanes in Sport mode. Handles like it's on rails, and surprisingly enthusiastic under acceleration. Most pleased.

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
I just took a drive, in my 2012 500. I’ve Owned 8 years now. One of the first ones in NA. Still looks new, interior smells new. It puts a smile on my face, every time I’m in it.
The only regret, I wish the Cabio, came with the Sport trim. My sunroof suits me will.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was very fortunate. Drove quite far to bring this one back, and the only wart I can find is one small ding the size of my little fingernail up near the fuel door. Having that addressed even as I type this; one of the advantage of working for a dealership...lol. I enjoyed the drive home so much in this, that even though I have a demo, I'm considering looking for a higher mileage, less than perfect 500 with a stick to use more as a daily driver. Too all the haters and their reviews: Thank you! Leaves more fun for us!

·
Registered
224 Posts
As spark plugs go, FCA changed the OEM plugs to NGK Iridium in 2015 with no change to the engine itself to my knowledge. So I think you can safely change the regular plugs from 2013 and put Iridium in it. Then the replacement interval extends to 100K miles.
I've also found compatible plugs from Denso for a lot cheaper

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As spark plugs go, FCA changed the OEM plugs to NGK Iridium in 2015 with no change to the engine itself to my knowledge. So I think you can safely change the regular plugs from 2013 and put Iridium in it. Then the replacement interval extends to 100K miles.
I've also found compatible plugs from Denso for a lot cheaper
Thanks for the info. I'm a big fan of the NGK Iridum, and one of my techs that has built cars for some of the guys you see on Street Outlaws swears by them.

·
Registered
224 Posts
You can use NGK DCPR7E-N-10 Traditional Spark Plug which is OEM plug for your year, or use OEM plug sp192435aa 'Mopar' plug which is NGK Laser Iridium Spark Plug IKR7H8 factory gapped at .036 used from 2015 and on. That also means that you can use Denso DENSO # 5308 IRIDIUM Power Spark Plugs - IXU22.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts