Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone found a good solution? the roof rack fiat has isnt compatible with the glass roof. I dont want to put a hitch on my car and I dont want a trunk mounted rack.
Thanks!

·
Registered
13,619 Posts
Buy a 500 without a sunroof. Hitch mount the way I go. Been using them for years to haul bike with.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have a prima, they all came with glass. I was told by fiat they would have one available but not yet.

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
has anyone found a good solution? the roof rack fiat has isnt compatible with the glass roof. I dont want to put a hitch on my car and I dont want a trunk mounted rack.
Thanks!
Might want to scope what some of the smart owners with the pano roof have done with a roof rack; it mounts on the Tridion cell and does not touch the pano roof.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
i have a prima, they all came with glass. I was told by fiat they would have one available but not yet.
Glass was an option on Primas. But I'd like to know if they have a roof rack for cars with sunroof.

Reactions: Triumph

·
Registered
13,619 Posts
Might want to scope what some of the smart owners with the pano roof have done with a roof rack; it mounts on the Tridion cell and does not touch the pano roof.
The power glass sunroof on the 500 pops up, and slide back. Would get caught up in a roof rack. The smart cars roof is stationary.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Thanks!
Hate to tell you this, but you shouldn't have bought a car with a sunroof then. You're going to need to either get over one of your dislikes (hitch or trunk rack), or use a different car to carry whatever it is that you want to carry.

BC.

·
Registered
13,619 Posts
Is the Lounge model the only 500 with a fixed glass roof? I didn't see it as a option on the Sport, or Pop.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hate to tell you this, but you shouldn't have bought a car with a sunroof then. You're going to need to either get over one of your dislikes (hitch or trunk rack), or use a different car to carry whatever it is that you want to carry.

BC.
yeah it's my fault for listening to the salesmen. I really wanted the prima. The sad part is I don't even really care about having a sun roof.
Oh well I may have found a solution.
There is a company called westfalia and they have a rack called the portilo. Basically a portable rear mounted rack that uses it's own mounting system. No hitch. Only problem they are out of the UK and it's 400 pounds but I'm going to call them this week to see if they will ship to Canada.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For those who care, Yakima Racks said they are 1-2 months away from having a roof rack for us with glass roofs!

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
For those who care, Yakima Racks said they are 1-2 months away from having a roof rack for us with glass roofs!
Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Alright, for all wondering; the official "Thule" rack DOES WORK with the glass sunroof. The pressure of the mounting feet and clamps remains on the roof/door pillar. Absolutely no pressure is on the glass panel itself or the edge of the glass.
However, the only thing you have to worry about is accidentally opening the sunroof which would likely destroy the motor assembly. A good solution for that is to pull the lower 30AMP fuse in the engine compartment (reference owners manual) to completely disable the sunroof motor.
The only thing I'd watch for is placing heavy weight on the glass when mounting something to the rack (like the Thule soft top carrier). It works fine, but don't over-stuff with heavy items.
Hope you all find this helpful. I can follow up with photos to show how there's no danger to the glass when it is mounted properly.
Cheers! :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought an Italian made roof rack from ***** Autos, Dublin, its designed for 500,s with or without glass roof, even convertabiles, front rack uses the 2 pre threaded holesmidway along the upper door sill amd the rear is fixed 23cm from the rear of the door, slots in each rack bar show which one to use, eg number 6 for 500,s
Regards Terry

·
Registered
401 Posts
Only problem they are out of the UK and it's 400 pounds but I'm going to call them this week to see if they will ship to Canada.[/QUOTE]

That sounds like one heave duty rack! What is it made out of, lead, gold, 1" steel plate?

·
Registered
707 Posts
I bought an Italian made roof rack from ***** Autos, Dublin, its designed for 500,s with or without glass roof, even convertabiles, front rack uses the 2 pre threaded holesmidway along the upper door sill amd the rear is fixed 23cm from the rear of the door, slots in each rack bar show which one to use, eg number 6 for 500,s
Regards Terry

any pics of this?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts