Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like the look of the RB and the Shakotan, but was wondering if anyone out there is running these wheels? Would love to see a pic...

·
Registered
391 Posts
They really look great on the Miata and I think they would on the Fiat also. Love the "Retro" look. Thanks for posting pics.

Jim

·
Registered
376 Posts
Rota RB's- Sweet! and only 17 lbs in a 16x7

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I love the minilite look... they look just like what the old school racing mini's and 500 abarths used to use.

Rota RB's- Sweet! and only 17 lbs in a 16x7
And under 13lbs in a 15x6 :)

A set of those, with some 195/50-15 Toyo R1R's and I will have a tire/wheel combo that weighs 31 lbs a corner and will stick as if gravity became my *****.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I've had Rotas on other cars and they are very good wheels for the money.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I've had Rotas on other cars and they are very good wheels for the money.
Me too - I have circuit 8's on my '94 Capri and Subzeros on my ZX2 street racer. Light weight and good looks for reasonable money.
The only negative I can really claim with their wheels is that they are a little skimpish on the paint work. They usually do scratch easy as a result.

·
Registered
13,454 Posts
I've aways like that design of wheels, on the early Mini's, and Frog eyed Austin Healy Sprites. Timeless.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I love the minilite look... they look just like what the old school racing mini's and 500 abarths used to use.

And under 13lbs in a 15x6 :)

A set of those, with some 195/50-15 Toyo R1R's and I will have a tire/wheel combo that weighs 31 lbs a corner and will stick as if gravity became my *****.
I take it you are a big fan of toyo's. I have T1S's on my lotus and R's on my 200sx se-r. I have been a fan of toyo's for a number of years. I'm not sure how well they have been keeping up with the other big brands over the last few years and would appreciate your input. So few people run them these days it's hard to get any input that can be trusted. My take on them is they are very sticky but don't last a long time. I think toyo doesn't put a hard rubber layer under a top layer of sticky rubber. The hard rubber layer is used by many other brands to get bigger milage numbers out of their tires. The upper sticky layer fools you when you first put them on the car into believing that you bought a really great tire.That harder rubber layer underneath is crap and doesn't stick for s#it. Halfway into the wear cycle the tires are worthless for spirited driving. I consider the toyo to be an good honest tire. Sticky to the last bit of tread.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I want some street/competition rubber to use on this car so it left me with a few choices once I isolated the size tire I wanted (195/50-15). If I were to go with 205/50-15 my options open up a bit more but I really am trying to keep the weight down the best I can and I like the thought of improving the final drive with a tire thats slightly smaller OD than stock (probably insignificant - but I'll know I've improved it lol). So that being said, the only tire option for me as of when I posted were Toyo R1R's.

Since then I have found another option and they are a little less mula too - the Federal 595R-SR. This is also a competition tire and it's about $30 a tire cheaper than Toyo's best price. I might give these a try.

In the past on my other small cars, I have run Nitto 555R's and BFG Drag Radials and I found both to be real satisfying on the street, with respectable wear too considering the soft compound nature of the tire. If they had the size I needed, I would buy the Nittos, since they were quieter than the BFG's for daily use.

On my ZX2-SR, I have yokohama s-drive tires and they are a real nice tire too, and would even entertain running those, but they are just not as sticky as a nice set of DOT-R compound tires :)

Reactions: the stig

·
Registered
433 Posts
I had 16x7 rota GT3s years ago. good wheels for the price.

not sure if they still do it but rota used to offer custom lug configurations... even if you had to wait months for them :D

·
Registered
376 Posts
I want some street/competition rubber to use on this car so it left me with a few choices once I isolated the size tire I wanted (195/50-15). If I were to go with 205/50-15 my options open up a bit more but I really am trying to keep the weight down the best I can and I like the thought of improving the final drive with a tire thats slightly smaller OD than stock (probably insignificant - but I'll know I've improved it lol). So that being said, the only tire option for me as of when I posted were Toyo R1R's.

Thanks for the input. The big problem with the 15 inch wheels is lack of choice in tires. 16's are much better in that regard and 17's even better yet. It's ironic that the 15's with their lighter weight should result in a faster more nimble car but the 17's get the best choice of rubber. Like grandpaw used to say "the world's going to **** I tell you". A good friend has a 91 Miata R with 14's. The stock wheels are great quality and pretty light. I'm glad I don't have to find good rubber for those.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
actually there are quite a lot of good 15" tires out there to choose from, if you go with 205/50-15 (which is real close to the 185/55-15 tire diameter).

but thats not the real reason for this post... the wheels have been bought and are on the car. I went with the lighter Shakotans and I am very happy with the final decision.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
At only 30 lbs a corner, they are what I like the most - a 40mm wider track and a total weight savings of 9 lbs over the stock steelies with hubcaps :)

·
Registered
376 Posts
actually there are quite a lot of good 15" tires out there to choose from, if you go with 205/50-15 (which is real close to the 185/55-15 tire diameter).

but thats not the real reason for this post... the wheels have been bought and are on the car. I went with the lighter Shakotans and I am very happy with the final decision.
Thanks,I'll have to look more closely at the 15 inch tires available. The last time I looked it seemed like the manufactures were developing their best tires in the big sizes.
I really like the Shakotans on your car. I'm probably going to go a little more retro on my Abarth. It will end probably end up with a set of 15 or 16 inch RB's.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts