Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today we installed the RRM axel back in wife's 500C. Great fit & perfect sound.
Not loud, just right. It is a bit deeper than the YouTube clip from RRM. I guess real life sound is dif than YouTube. Bottom line is a nice system with nice tips. Looks just like the Hamann 500 on the Pop. It also fits around the hitch we have installed. Performance is the same as the magnaflow I have in mine. Highway pulls are much better. Giving it gas in 5th gear, actually climbs in the mph. Before it seemed like 5th was stuck and after a while you would gain 1-2mph. Now it climbs. In my other post I stated that we did roll-ons in the highway mine with magnaflow axel-back and her's stock with drop in filter. Mine with stock intake and paper filter. I pulled away in 3rd and 4th. Now she's happy that I won't be pulling away anymore. Good mod and nice looking.
Thanks Rob for a great product. Yes is expensive, but worth every penny.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Today we installed the RRM axel back in wife's 500C. Great fit & perfect sound.
Not loud, just right. It is a bit deeper than the YouTube clip from RRM. I guess real life sound is dif than YouTube. Bottom line is a nice system with nice tips. Looks just like the Hamann 500 on the Pop. It also fits around the hitch we have installed. Performance is the same as the magnaflow I have in mine. Highway pulls are much better. Giving it gas in 5th gear, actually climbs in the mph. Before it seemed like 5th was stuck and after a while you would gain 1-2mph. Now it climbs. In my other post I stated that we did roll-ons in the highway mine with magnaflow axel-back and her's stock with drop in filter. Mine with stock intake and paper filter. I pulled away in 3rd and 4th. Now she's happy that I won't be pulling away anymore. Good mod and nice looking.
Thanks Rob for a great product. Yes is expensive, but worth every penny.
On RRM website they only list the exhaust system for $599, how much is the axle back alone?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, just axel-back. I looked at Competizione, but sounds too loud for the wife + is $900+. I think our Fiat exhaust is decent from factory. The midpipe has a straight thru resonator and all is mandrel bend. I don't think there's much ho gains from the midpipe on a cat back. The cork is in the muffler. 500 madness is coming out with an axel back as well....oh, and magnaflow is coming out with a cat-back. We liked RRM due to the sound. It doesn't sound like every other import and is not loud. Sounds like an old Fiat 147 if you ever heard those...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thread clearly states "RRM axel-back"

So there's no more confusion...axel back, muffler, can...

In my opinion, what's missing is the mid pipe to make it a "true cat-back". The OEM midpipe is pretty good with mandrel bends and a straight thru resonator. So any cat back would probably gain in sound and lighter weight. Even the guys at 500 madness agreed with just an axel back the exhaust is complete, beside the exhaust manifold with the cat. midpipe can be an asset in cars with restricted OEM midpipes like the bimmers or Honda's. Now the Si has a nice exhaust from factory.
Anyhow, removing the stock muffler for any brand better flowing muffler will help a stock 500 breath way better. It is really noticeable in the highway. Takes less pedal effort for the little guy to move. I'm assuming mpg's will go up a bit.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Sorry. Axel back. Just muffler...
I'm not saying you per say, on the web site it says Exhaust system. and i was under the impression that it was a cat back , at $599 its a reasonably priced cat back, but at $599 for just a muffler ummm!

not to be an ***, but isn't a system is compromised of multiple components?

I heard Rob and RRM are great but maybe they should reconsider the wording for this product.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
I have to agree with you GotFiat, first time I saw it I was under the impression it was actually a catback system, my Borla system for my old SS was just shy of 1K so I'd expect for this smaller car around $600 would be the catback setup, think though Rob mentioned these cars do not really benefit from full catback systems like other cars.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm sorry, I misunderstood. I do agree that the listing should say axel back and not exhaust system....the RRM axel back is steep, but the workmanship and finesse of the muffler is worth it. Double tip staggered and slushed look nice. The only other muffler I know of with dual tip is the Magneti Marelli cat back that goes for $1,200. Again, you are paying $600 for a piece of pipe (midpipe). Competizione is nice too with the racy vintage look tail pipe. Sounds too loud in my opinion, nice for track though.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
Has anyone done testing to find out which offers the best performance? Sound is a secondary concern for me, I definitely prefer to get the most from whichever exhaust I choose regardless of the noise. Same applies to the intakes available. Side by side comparisons ideally done on the same vehicles on the same day with the same equipment and around the same time, not the easiest to expect but in order to gain the best possible results maybe someone has done such testing.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I had a local shop cut out the middle section and replace it with a single magnaflow resonator and the rear muffler section with a magnaflow, it was a little too quiet for me so I took it back and they cut out the resonator and replaced it with a straight pipe. Like Ezio said the stock exhaust is actually pretty good, it looks like either 2" or 2.25" piping, so no need to go any bigger. If I had to guess it may have produced 2 or 3 HP gains, nothing crazy noticable. The road race intake was definetly the mod that made a very obvious difference.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Supersprint cans are nice ! However the axel back's are near $800 shipped ! They are not here in the US yet, but I heard they will be soon.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts