Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
....from every 8,000 miles to every 4,000 miles for oil and filter change. anyone confirm this? tire rotation remains at every 8,000 or now, every other oil change.

this makes more sense to me, since Fiat is not using synthetic oil. I just changed mine at 4,000....to be on the safe side.

but as I said, this is just a rumor until I can get in confirmed somewhere. I heard it from a reliable source, but have not seen anything 'in print' yet.

anyone? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
....from every 8,000 miles to every 4,000 miles for oil and filter change. anyone confirm this? tire rotation remains at every 8,000 or now, every other oil change.

this makes more sense to me, since Fiat is not using synthetic oil. I just changed mine at 4,000....to be on the safe side.

but as I said, this is just a rumor until I can get in confirmed somewhere. I heard it from a reliable source, but have not seen anything 'in print' yet.

anyone? :rolleyes:
I said that months ago!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mr. Pickles,

I would like to agree with you, but Zeigler Fiat (IL) just battled over this with me stating they will not do anything besides the scheuduled maintence. I saw your previous about being 4k. Where is this source from?

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I forgot to mention this ...the dealer mentioned Fiat releasing an addendum to the free maintenance plan. Dealer covered oil changes are now at 4000 miles. If your oil change indicator is on, Fiat covers the service.
and if your oil change indicator isn't 'on', will they still cover it? I had a hair over 4,000 miles on mine last week, no indicator was on. I just didn't like the idea of going 8,000 miles on NON-synthetic oil.

then I heard 'the rumor' that FIAT had changed their maintenance schedule. has anyone be notifed by FIAT in writing of this change? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I was relaying what my sales person told me on pick up. My oil light isn't on now...they are covering my service Sat.

I'm sure this depends on the dealer.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I still haven't seen anything 'in print' yet. until I do, I'm still taking this as a rumor. the reason?

today I went into Chrysler's DealerConnect and checked the Maintenance Schedule for the "FF" body (FIAT 500). what I read was interesting.......if the way I took it is correct, the car will sense from your driving style and determine when you're due for your oil and filter change. 'if' by chance the maintenance indicator does not come on before 6 months or 8K miles, then you take it in.

this does make some sense to me, as vehicles that are driven in stop and go traffic most of the time will need maintenance sooner than one that has only highway miles. at least thats they way I was taught many years ago. I suppose this is why some maintenance indicators are coming on around 4K miles and others nearing the 8K have yet to come on.

make sense to anyone else?

here's the DealerConnect Maintenance Schedule as of today 10/27/11:

The Scheduled Maintenance services listed in this manual must be done at the times or mileages specified to protect your vehicle warranty and ensure the best vehicle performance and reliability. More frequent maintenance may be needed for vehicles in severe operating conditions, such as dusty areas and very short trip driving. Inspection and service should also be done anytime a malfunction is suspected.

The oil change indicator system will remind you that it is time to take your vehicle in for scheduled maintenance.

Based on engine operation conditions the oil change indicator message will illuminate, this means that service is required for your vehicle. Have your vehicle serviced as soon as possible, within the next 500 miles (805 km).

NOTE:

• The oil change indicator message will not monitor the time since the last oil change. Change your vehicles oil if it has been 6 months since your last oil change even if the oil change indicator message is NOT illuminated.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so I guess the bottom line is, regardless of how many times your maintenance indicator goes off, as long as you're within the 3/36 for the "Free Maintenance", then its covered?

ok.....works for me. but I'm still changing mine every 4K regardless of the indicator. I paid for the first one at 4K, FIAT can pick up the tab on the next one at 8K, except I'll supply my own synthetic oil. :)

·
Registered
825 Posts
Interesting discussion with my service manager yesterday. She said that FIAT has authorized up to nine oil changes under the "3/36K" program. At first, it was just the four. So there does seem to be some truth to this rumor.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I know that I'm not going to be putting a lot of miles on mine, so I will be using time intervals for service. No more than 6 months between oil changes.

·
Registered
211 Posts
8k for this engine is crazy. thats why its been changed to 4k. the system can be changed to a 4k interval by the dealer. theres no oil quality sensor. the system basically measures how much fuel goes through the injectors. drive hard more fuel, drive easy less full longer interval. one more thing, they are putting in dino oil for the free services, which is also nuts, this was specked by chrysler not fiat.

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
I don't believe these rumours. Halving the interval would double the cost to Fiat. My experience has been thus:

1. I brought it in early for the first change because I was worried about that first one. They charged me nothing (I provided 4 qts. synthetic).
2. The second change they used synthetic oil.

I think it's a fantasy to imagine there is some kind of central government controlling the actions of all service locations. My service is performed in a Chrysler facility. I just talk to them and tell them what I want and find out if they can go along with that. They have been 100% perfect so far.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts