Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had this happen at least 3 times now in my 2012 Sport with automatic transmission......cruise is activated at around 35 m.p.h for several miles, then speed limit goes up to 45. I press the + button to ease up to 45 and let go at about 44. The transmission immediately kicks down as though I floored it and she shoots up to around 55 and then slowly settles back down to 45. Scared the bejeebers out of me. Anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
544 Posts
What sort of road do you use that actually has traffic that does 35 for long enough to warrant using cruise control? Around here you'd be stopping and starting so often it wouldn't be worth it.

·
Super Moderator
22,119 Posts
If you press it once and release it shouldn't jump up but increase I think by either 1 or 2 miles per hour, if you are holding it or pushing it quickly this situation you describe it possible and likely. I noticed when I had my Sport I would get similar results and every since I press and either count the required pushes as not to go too far or I push with a very slight pause in-between. If you are already doing this perhaps it is something that needs to be checked and possible corrected by the dealer.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What sort of road do you use that actually has traffic that does 35 for long enough to warrant using cruise control? Around here you'd be stopping and starting so often it wouldn't be worth it.
I live at the end of a long peninsula and have several miles of 35 m.p.h. road without any stop signs or lights before it goes to 45 for another mile or 2.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I live at the end of a long peninsula and have several miles of 35 m.p.h. road without any stop signs or lights before it goes to 45 for another mile or 2.
Cool. :)
My 5-mile commute involves a 2-mile long bridge, high enough to get an aircraft carrier under, and then town driving for another mile or so. Cruise control just doesn't begin to be useful.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I've noticed this kind of behavior with other cars, but not the Fiat yet. And by "this kind of behavior" maybe not to the extent you're describing. I've found that tapping (not holding) the [+/Res] will slowly ease to the target speed without erratic acceleration (unless you tap too fast - it kind of has to catch up). Alternately, accelerating with the gas pedal then hitting [-/Set] will let you get up to your desired speed with better control. I'm a chronic cruise controller too, so I do know the temptation to try and do all speed controlling with the cruise +/- buttons, but I think they're really only ideal for minor adjustments.

·
Registered
190 Posts
This is not a Fiat 500 issue -- it's called "operator error". Your Fiat floors itself, because that's what holding down the "+" button does -- it calls for maximum acceleration. Cruise control is not "smart", as in, it cannot possibly know the difference between gradual acceleration (which may be your wish), and maximum/immediate acceleration (what all cruise control in all cars is designed to do).

If you read the owners manual, it will have advised that you can increase speed 1 mph with each push of the "+" button. Other than actually reading your mind, how would you expect a mechanical cruise control to actually know how quickly you wished to accelerate?? If not for immediate response, with cruise control ON, your car would slow down to a crawl before accelerating to an appropriate speed with each small incline in the road or puff of headwind.

If pushing the "+" button ten times (or simply pushing the accelerator pedal with your foot) to increase your speed from 35 mph to 45 mph is too much effort to ask, you should probably have someone else driving for you.

I don't know...am I the only one who realizes there is no variable to acceleration on cruise control!? There is no 1/4, 1/2 or 3/4 throttle possible. The only response when cruise control calls for additional speed is full throttle. Not very elegant, to be sure, but that's where the technology is to-date.

·
Registered
856 Posts
If I want to increase the speed by 5 mph, i would press + button five times and car picks up speed about 4-6 mph.
same goes to decreasing the speed. I had auto sport too and used CC many occasions so i know this works (well, this works to my Abarth as well).

Try click the button instead of holding it down.

hope this helps!

·
Super Moderator
22,119 Posts
I've noticed this kind of behavior with other cars, but not the Fiat yet. And by "this kind of behavior" maybe not to the extent you're describing. I've found that tapping (not holding) the [+/Res] will slowly ease to the target speed without erratic acceleration (unless you tap too fast - it kind of has to catch up). Alternately, accelerating with the gas pedal then hitting [-/Set] will let you get up to your desired speed with better control. I'm a chronic cruise controller too, so I do know the temptation to try and do all speed controlling with the cruise +/- buttons, but I think they're really only ideal for minor adjustments.
This is not a Fiat 500 issue -- it's called "operator error". Your Fiat floors itself, because that's what holding down the "+" button does -- it calls for maximum acceleration. Cruise control is not "smart", as in, it cannot possibly know the difference between gradual acceleration (which may be your wish), and maximum/immediate acceleration (what all cruise control in all cars is designed to do).

If you read the owners manual, it will have advised that you can increase speed 1 mph with each push of the "+" button. Other than actually reading your mind, how would you expect a mechanical cruise control to actually know how quickly you wished to accelerate?? If not for immediate response, with cruise control ON, your car would slow down to a crawl before accelerating to an appropriate speed with each small incline in the road or puff of headwind.

If pushing the "+" button ten times (or simply pushing the accelerator pedal with your foot) to increase your speed from 35 mph to 45 mph is too much effort to ask, you should probably have someone else driving for you.

I don't know...am I the only one who realizes there is no variable to acceleration on cruise control!? There is no 1/4, 1/2 or 3/4 throttle possible. The only response when cruise control calls for additional speed is full throttle. Not very elegant, to be sure, but that's where the technology is to-date.

Much better explanations of what I was trying to say above, so obviously I agree and think this is likely the problem going on here. I'm glad there are people here that can explain better than I can!!! You guys are great. :)

Chris too! I noticed after I posted he had already replied...my fault for opening 10 tabs at a time and slowly getting to each...hehe.
Thanks to you as well buddy.

·
Registered
544 Posts
After 6 years of not having cruise control at all, I can honestly say that I didn't miss it. If I'm too asleep to be able to use the throttle pedal properly, I pull off and have a nap.

·
Registered
146 Posts
After 6 years of not having cruise control at all, I can honestly say that I didn't miss it. If I'm too asleep to be able to use the throttle pedal properly, I pull off and have a nap.
I really only use it to prevent speed creep. I have a muscle disorder - my doctor tells me it's called "leadfoot".

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
"If pushing the "+" button ten times (or simply pushing the accelerator pedal with your foot) to increase your speed from 35 mph to 45 mph is too much effort to ask, you should probably have someone else driving for you."

If you can't post politely without being a condescending, juvenile jerk, maybe you should have someone else write your posts for you.

"The only response when cruise control calls for additional speed is full throttle."

Wrong. When tapping resume, it most often slowly climbs up to the previous speed. Only occasionally does it drop down and accelerate at full throttle and overshoot as I originally posted.

"I don't know...am I the only one who realizes there is no variable to acceleration on cruise control!?"

Wow! A little full of oneself, are we? I bet there's at least one other person in the world as smart as you somewhere.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Additional: I have slowed my speed by 10-15 m.p.h. for traffic or whatever and then held the + button solidly to increase my speed and most times it accelerates smoothly to where I want it. I posted the initial post because it was a rarity to overshoot and downshift and only happened 3 times out of maybe 100s of times I did it. So to say that the cruise will always go to full throttle when activated to increase speed is just an incorrect statement, whether + is tapped to resume the previous speed or held steadily to increase speed. The cars do not go to maximum acceleration always.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Additional: I have slowed my speed by 10-15 m.p.h. for traffic or whatever and then held the + button solidly to increase my speed and most times it accelerates smoothly to where I want it. I posted the initial post because it was a rarity to overshoot and downshift and only happened 3 times out of maybe 100s of times I did it. So to say that the cruise will always go to full throttle when activated to increase speed is just an incorrect statement, whether + is tapped to resume the previous speed or held steadily to increase speed. The cars do not go to maximum acceleration always.
What you're describing sounds about like my past experience with cruise. There has been more than one occasion on at least three different cars where some magic threshold is reached and the thing goes balls out. I'll play around with my auto lounge this weekend and see if I can reproduce it. If so, you could assume it's "normal behavior" for this car to sometimes full throttle it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have owned one automatic (non-fiat) with cruise control (not counting the '84 Benz, because that CC is possessed, randomly accelerates on its own), and I seem to remember that if I held down the acceleration button it would do that as well.

·
Registered
106 Posts
It's normal. All my auto trans cars I have owned do this if you press and hold the acceleration button while on cruise. From Lexus to Fiat. When I first got my 500 I made daily 60+ miles commutes on a long stretch of a straight flat road and used cruise each time. Completely normal operation.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts