Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My clutch went out in January due to the clutch spring recall. I had it towed to a dealership and got it back (after almost 2 weeks). Upon picking it up, it was super hard to get into 1st gear but I thought it was just a stiff new clutch. Then I went to reverse and heard the worst noise I’ve ever heard. I immediately called the dealership and left a message because they had already closed. I waited for the car parked in front of me to leave so I could pull through the parking spot since I couldn’t reverse. I was also occasionally hearing a concerning clacking noise as if something was loose or not connected correctly. I was at the dealership the next morning to address my concerns and the service manager and the tech that worked on my car explained to me that my transmission was going out so it would be hard to shift through some of the gears and they showed me how to get it into reverse-even though it was grinding like crazy-just don’t mind the grinding and pop it into reverse. I asked about the clacking and they said it was my motor mounts??! They needed to be replaced apparently. Understand that I had never heard that sound before and I had never had any problems with my transmission. The only problem I ever had was running through light bulbs-like brake lights and headlights. I took the car home and tried to figure out what to do. I wasn’t driving the car because I was scared to. I figured I was going to have to get a new car because replacing them transmission was going to be so expensive. Then I got pissed off. I love my car. I called Fiat corporate and opened a claim-when they got back to me they told me to take the car back to that same dealership and I didn’t want to. At all. They followed up a few times and I told them I didn’t want to do that. I had no confidence in them. I finally called another dealerships service dept because I just wanted to ask some questions. TJ was very responsive-which I wasn’t expecting-I figured once they heard it was recall work that I wasn’t happy with done by another dealership they’d be very reluctant. So, it’s up there now at Uptown Chrysler Fiat in Dallas. The transmission is not good and they don’t recommend I drive it. I’ve seen several things stating they the recalled part puts excess wear on the transmission-so, I’m sure when it actually fails it can do damage-though no one I’ve spoken to will own up to this. I do have a few screen shots that show that the company is aware of this. I don’t know what to do at this point. Do I open a complaint with the NHTSA? I don’t know. What I do know is that I had no issues with my fiat before this and now it’s not driveable

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This is a direct message I sent to Fiat Cares yesterday. Apparently, I have to post more so that I can reply to them with my VIN..sorry for the long post...but if you have any advice or have experienced the same, I’d love to hear from you.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I'm sorry man. The recall parts though don't put any excess pressure on the transmission. Recall isn't the clutch pressure plate, the recall is the pedal stop, basically. So when you had to S34 done, they put in a new pedal assembly. If the dealer replaced the clutch under warranty, well done for you, many of us had to fight for it. Anyway, so it has nothing to do with the transmission itself. Now, how do they know that the transmission is going? One thing I can immediately think of is that when they do the clutch job, they have to remove the shift linkage. I wonder the cable alignment is all messed up, that would really screw up the shifting. Does it go into the gear without an issue if the engine is turned off?

·
Registered
15 Posts
So they replaced the pedal assembly with a pedal travel limiter, and now the clutch doesn't disengage all the way? Sounds reasonable, since the pedal travel limiter determines how far the clutch pedal can be pushed down. They are going to need to adjust the pedal travel limiter and/or the clutch to allow the pedal to be pushed down far enough to disengage the clutch completely, so you can shift the vehicle into gear easily.

I'm not surprised they tried to brush you off with a transmission that has suddenly failed while they were working on it, shops try to do this to my daughter more often than you'd think.

You didn't state where you live, you may want to inquire with your state or local automotive repair shop licensing authority. Here in CA, it's the Bureau of Automotive Repair.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’m sorry I haven’t been on here in a bit because I’ve been so fed up. I’m in TX. I’m going to look into what you mentioned.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts