Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

· Registered
1,417 Posts
They don't turn off the buzzer, they enable the EVIC option for you to turn it off.

At least, they are not supposed to actually turn it off. :)

· Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All you have to do is ask the dealer and they give you the option. I haven't gone anywhere near it however because I hear that if you enable it by accident you have to go back to the dealer to get them to turn it off again.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

· Registered
794 Posts
I had mine turned off, but it was not exactly as I expected; the initial buzz/ chime/ gong that lasts for about 5 seconds cannot be turned off. The recurring buzzer that comes on again can be turned off, and that is what was disabled on my car. So, seatbelt buzzer on start up, then it turns off and does not come on again. I just wish the seatbelt buzzer was as kind as the 'key left in the ignition' chime.

And yes, I always wear a seatbelt, and have done so long before it was the law. I just like to start the car, and let it warm up for 15 or 20 seconds. During that I time I put on my seatbelt, adjust the radio, fuss with the debris on the passenger seat, wait for the cat to get off the car roof- that sort of thing.

· Premium Member
22,111 Posts
I had mine turned off, but it was not exactly as I expected; the initial buzz/ chime/ gong that lasts for about 5 seconds cannot be turned off. The recurring buzzer that comes on again can be turned off, and that is what was disabled on my car. So, seatbelt buzzer on start up, then it turns off and does not come on again. I just wish the seatbelt buzzer was as kind as the 'key left in the ignition' chime.

And yes, I always wear a seatbelt, and have done so long before it was the law. I just like to start the car, and let it warm up for 15 or 20 seconds. During that I time I put on my seatbelt, adjust the radio, fuss with the debris on the passenger seat, wait for the cat to get off the car roof- that sort of thing.
Completely agree, love it doesn't continue to scream but that first initial chime is almost ear bleeding loud! As for the statements above...my dealer turned it off for me, they didn't just make it an option for me to bother with through the menu. :cool:

· Registered
672 Posts
I was merely idling in the garage at the time the alarm went off and thought I was in an airplane that was crashing. I stomped on the brake, punched random buttons on the dash, broke off the steering wheel, swigged the vodka, called in the troopers, and pressed The Red Button. Jiminey Cricket.

Think I'll stop by the dealership tomorrow.

· Registered
157 Posts

Took me a while to break the routine, but if you put your belt on first then start the car, no chime at all.

· Registered
1,122 Posts
The chime is so annoying it. Most the time, my belt is left locked behind my back. So I don't have to hear the noise.
So more often then I usually would I don't wear my belt now.
I WANT IT OFF. NO EXCUSE. WHERE ARE THE WIRES I CAN CUT?
I would pull it off in a drive thru, or a parking lot, or have stuff in a seat. It would Ding to no end.
I usually would wear my belt, but now I DON'T because it is a hassle to squeeze it from under my ***/behind my back.
I'm not buying a Chimex either. No way am I swapping it in/out to appease the relentless ding.

· Registered
1,431 Posts
Your dealer can solve this. This is now the third post today with this same question – just do a 'search' on the forum to find the answer. Forum tools, folks! Multi-threads for the same topic just makes it harder for everyone else to search for (and find) the already-posted answers.

· Registered
1,122 Posts
Done the search. HAVE NOT FOUND A SOLUTION.
If you seen the answer, POST A LINK TO IT. Going to a dealer for them to perform a secret task is NOT an answer.
Maybe know one here has figured it out yet??

The answers here have been.... These answers are USELESS for me. The nearest dealer is 2hours away.
#1. By the chimex, it does not solve the problem of drive thru,parking lots, ATM's, and various other places. And is an extra hassle to put in and out as needed.
#2. Drive to a dealer (TOO FAR FOR ME) and Hopefully they will give the added menu option. What do they do?? Plug in a scan tool and upload specific software?? Similar to Eco Drive... Maybe the software is online somewhere?

The only constructive answer seen, so far, has been....
There is a scale(weight sensor) beneath the seat and likely a sensor in the buckle. There is also a buzzer, likely located in the dash somewhere.

The most likely option seems to be... The buzzer CAN be disconnected/rendered mute so there is NO AUDIBLE SOUND. Any thread on this?? The only thing that concerns me is this buzzer is also used for other sounds in the car??
Maybe someone has a Bentley Repair Manual with the wiring diagrams???

The next best option, would be to jump power on the buckle sensor. To make the sensor detect the belt as always PLUGGED IN. This is the typical way on several cars. I have yet to find a pic of the buckle sensor. Even once I find it, I won't be sure which wire leads to what. But it won't be a complex piece of electrical hardware.

The most complicated option seems to be...The weight sensor in the seat could possibly be disabled. This would trick the car into thinking the seats are empty, unless it would realize it is unplugged and read an error. Due to no one in the seat, yet the car is in motion. Could still detect if the buckle is plugged in or not. I haven't a clue how it'd be done. Maybe just find it and unplug it? I'm not sure if this would solve the drive thru issues. But if it thinks the seat is empty maybe it won't BUZZ?

THIS IS A MECHANICAL QUESTION. NOT LEGAL, NOT MORAL, NOT ETHICAL.
Strictly how to perform a mechanical task on a vehicle.
Whether or not I wear my belt is not the concern here. It would be more likely I wear the belt if there was just the light to remind me. Not a Buzz to repeatedly annoy me. YOU CATCH MORE FLIES WITH HONEY.
GOAL= How to disable the seatbelt buzz in my garage.
Could be as simple as finding the horn, placing a jar over it and filling it with insulating foam to deaden the sound.

Tomorrow I'll go out to the car, trace the sound, It's so loud maybe it comes through the sound system. I'll look for the seat sensors and the buckle sensors. Will post pics. And if I find the solution I'll post. Until then if someone is knows the trick, please post.

· Registered
1,417 Posts
A large number of modern cars have all sorts of things that only the dealer can turn on or off.

What is the big deal? Next time you are there, ask them to code the option into the car.

BTW, once you turn it off, if you turn it back on, the dealer has to enable the option again.

Reactions: SeaDawg

· Registered
204 Posts
I was merely idling in the garage at the time the alarm went off and thought I was in an airplane that was crashing. I stomped on the brake, punched random buttons on the dash, broke off the steering wheel, swigged the vodka, called in the troopers, and pressed The Red Button. Jiminey Cricket.

Think I'll stop by the dealership tomorrow.
Please help me! I am laughing so hard I cant breath and snot is drooling out of my nose! Powerband, that is easily the funniest post I have ever read on this forum. Thank You.....

· Registered
794 Posts
Pain,

I think the answer is 'no, it cannot be turned off' See my post on page 1; not that I'm a mechanical expert, but I relayed the information given to me by the studio. Pinecone above is also correct, in that if the dealer disables the recurring buzzer and you enable it again with the dash menu buttons, the dealers work will be negated. But again, the initial 5 second buzzer cannot be turned off. Extra info is that the seatbelt buzzer is not shared with any other warning sound, such as the oil pressure warning buzzer- it was like this on an old jetta I had. It was just a plug in relay buzzer, but pulling it removed the audible warning for low oil pressure.

Don't suggest that no one knows the answer because we've never tried. We have, and we've given you all the information we have. The replies in this thread and others are not all useless. The answer that you want simply doesn't exist. Your solutions do not sound uncomplicated, but have at it, and let us know if it works.

Have you adjusted the buzzer volume using the dash menu commands? Might make the buzzer bearable. And yeah, I do think you should wear the seatbelt, but it's your face on the line.

· Registered
1,417 Posts
The initial buzzer is mandated by the government.

They used to be MUCH worse.

· Registered
1,122 Posts
Hey Thanks Briannismo.
Hadn't thought about turning the buzzer volume down. I'll give it a try and write back if it works or not.

As far as, suggesting people haven't tried goes.... If they have then they sure HAVEN'T put any info as to what was accomplished in doing so. Whether it even be a pic of the sensors, or the buzzer making the sound. Or the effect it had when removing these. Or what attempt was made.
I HAVE A VW JETTA TOO! Had the 2.0, the GLI vr6 24v & newer 1.8T gli.... Love MK4 VW's! :)

I won't be making the 2hr drive to the dealership for A LONG TIME. Atleast 2 months before I'll need an oil change.

· Registered
1,122 Posts
The initial buzzer is mandated by the government.

They used to be MUCH worse.
I give a crap what the government has to say. What they don't know won't hurt them.
Maybe the Feds will find my comment and trace it back to me. To give me a ticket for a silly thing like a seatbelt.
What about all those people that are polluting by removing their catalytic converter and running a straight exhaust?

· Registered
794 Posts
Pain,

I don't think anybody has looked into fussing with the wiring, but some of audio folks here probably can (Troyaudio?). Sounds a though your buzzer has the knobs turned up to 11. Must be something you can do about that. It would be interesting to know where the buzzer is; I have no idea. The buzzer is annoying. I wish it was more like the soft 'keys in ignition' chime.

Not sure if we're on the same side, but I think keeping the catalytic converter should be enforced; can't keep dumping crap into the atmosphere forever. But if you can find the magic system for disabling the startup seatbelt buzzer (which is annoying) you'll be a very popular fellow. I think that most folks just get in, plug it in, and move on. But I do like to start the car, and let it warm up for 30 seconds or so. 6 seconds of buzz, then fuss with the radio, stash my wine bottle, prop my phone in the drink holder and set off looking smug and happy.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts